Never sleep on Robbie Lawler!!!!!!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Never sleep on Robbie Lawler!!!!!!
BustedKnuckle
1/31/10 10:08:36AM
This guy is a beast!!! I thought that Robbie was broke midway through the first rnd against Manhoef. His leg was getting blasted over and over and it looked bleak. I have never seen anyones leg fly that high from checking a kick. But just then he landed a huge punch sent Melvin down and then finished him. Melvin was out for a long time after that KO. Robbie has a ton of power. Who is next for Lawler. Maybe a shot at Mousasi. Another shot at Sheilds. Either way SF is coming out with some damn good fights and some top level guys. Hope they stick around for a long time.
State_Champ
1/31/10 10:58:58AM
Lawler looked great and I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Shields.
Speaking of next opponents, who's next for Manhoef? I say "Cung Le, please?"
Wallass
1/31/10 12:29:59PM
In no way would I say Lawler looked great, in fact he looked completely outmatched until the last two seconds, I mean he only landed 3 punches the whole fight and they were only in those late few seconds. Good for Lawler for possibly having the biggest comeback in MMA history but in no way do I think he looked great by any means. I still think that he's onwe of the best Middleweights out there but if they fought again Manhoef takes this one.
State_Champ
1/31/10 12:53:51PM

Posted by Wallass

In no way would I say Lawler looked great, in fact he looked completely outmatched until the last two seconds, I mean he only landed 3 punches the whole fight and they were only in those late few seconds. Good for Lawler for possibly having the biggest comeback in MMA history but in no way do I think he looked great by any means. I still think that he's onwe of the best Middleweights out there but if they fought again Manhoef takes this one.

Lawler standing upright looked a lot better than a motionless Manhoef laying on the mat no?
RhythmAndStyle
1/31/10 1:26:36PM
yeah..but Lawler was gettin owned by Manhoef..the only punch he threw was the one that ko'd Manhoef..so how can you say Lawler was lookin great..no one looks great when they're leg is bout to get taken off..and wasn't doin jack..one hail mary punch and that was it..not impressed with it..i'll take Manhoef over Lawler any day in a rematch..and my responds to BustedKnuckle is Lawler should get a rematch with Shields,or maybe give him one more guy to fight..maybe someone like Henderson..and for Manhoef..i say they should give him Scott Smith...
State_Champ
1/31/10 1:44:29PM

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

yeah..but Lawler was gettin owned by Manhoef..the only punch he threw was the one that ko'd Manhoef..so how can you say Lawler was lookin great..no one looks great when they're leg is bout to get taken off..and wasn't doin jack..one hail mary punch and that was it..not impressed with it..i'll take Manhoef over Lawler any day in a rematch..and my responds to BustedKnuckle is Lawler should get a rematch with Shields,or maybe give him one more guy to fight..maybe someone like Henderson..and for Manhoef..i say they should give him Scott Smith...

I do not know if I can ever be convinced that knocking a guy out doesn't look great.
I just cannot see how it could look bad to get a KO win, especially in the first round against an awesome striker like Manhoef.

Compared Manhoef laying unconscious on the the mat I think Lawler looked stellar.
Hendo67
1/31/10 2:03:48PM
Manhoef won 99% of that fight, Lawler won 1%... look at the number of strikes that Melvin had and compare it to Lawler.

Lawler didn't look great, he caught Manhoef, yes... but hardly great.
karn501
1/31/10 2:04:53PM
I don't think someone can look good when they are taking the beating of they're life and land one good shot to end it lawler looked horrible he just got lucky that manhoef put his hands down for no reason
mrsmiley
1/31/10 2:11:06PM
Major props to Lawler.
Glad I picked him to win.
But even at saying that Robbie was getting his ass kicked that entire fight.
But in a sense it doesn't really matter becomes he was only losing until he won.

Another thing I wonder is if the fight had gone into the second round if Robbie could have even continued the fight?
He was limping really bad after the fight.
State_Champ
1/31/10 2:24:39PM

Posted by Hendo67

Manhoef won 99% of that fight, Lawler won 1%... look at the number of strikes that Melvin had and compare it to Lawler.

In my opinion, 100% of the fight is about winning- not losing- which Lawler did with a KO punch.
seanfu
1/31/10 3:37:47PM

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by Hendo67

In my opinion, 100% of the fight is about winning- not losing- which Lawler did with a KO punch.

So if you get your ass kicked 3 times but win all 3 fights by knocking out your oponents with the only shot you land, that makes you as good as the guy that goes around dominating 3 fights?
telnights
1/31/10 4:35:17PM
I agree Lawler is always a threat because of his power but he still has the same huge hole in his game. He doesn't deal with leg kicks well at all. Pete Spratt is the one that exposed this hole in his game and I wouldn't be shocked if who ever he fights next if they attack his legs and stay to the outside.
State_Champ
1/31/10 5:52:30PM

Posted by seanfu

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by Hendo67

So if you get your ass kicked 3 times but win all 3 fights by knocking out your oponents with the only shot you land, that makes you as good as the guy that goes around dominating 3 fights?

I feel that it makes you look great for knocking the dude out 3 times. And it makes the opponent look bad for failing to capitalize on three chances to win (and whats worse is that in this scenario the opponent was WINNING ALL 3 FIGHTS before getting KOed). Yes, I would think after 3 consecutive KOs it is pretty decisive who the better fighter is..... the guy who keeps winning!

I just feel that a knockout is a win, and a win is a win(unless it is a result of one of those poor decisions that judges and refs occasionally make). And I think it looks great to KO someone. And I think it looks great to make a comeback too.
cmill21
1/31/10 6:42:27PM
A win is a win, but I'd pick Melvin in that fight 9/10 if thats Robbies game plan. Robbie was lucky melvin tried to dodge his punch by just leaning back. Melvin got caught but out of the two I would say he had the more impressive showing.
spikerman19
1/31/10 9:22:26PM
I would be surprised if Lawler has a torn knee ligament, the way he was checking those looked unusual. He would lift his leg a swing it slightly to the right and Melvin was catching it perfect every time.
tcunningham
1/31/10 10:05:30PM
i was impressed with both fighters. manhoef was dominating lawlor theres no question about that and manhoef smelled blood and was doing everything possible to finish the fight, as for lawlor, im impressed with his ability to to take a beating and still have enough in him to see a mistake in manhoefs striking and capitalize on it in the most impressive way possible. PROPS TO BOTH FIGHTERS!!!!!!!!!
Pookie
2/2/10 11:32:39PM

Posted by seanfu

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by Hendo67

It makes you better.

BustedKnuckle
2/11/10 10:09:25PM
There are no lucky shots....and nobody gets "caught".......unless in a submission. These guys train extemly hard to know what to do in any circumstance in a fight. Robbie saw.......along with the whole crowd than Melvin was dropping his left hand and he threw a right hook from hell to end the fight!!
s2kmma
2/12/10 11:34:36AM
melvin was over agressive and sloppy like usual... lawler just stayed calm and waited for melvins left hand to drop (at his waist) and boom

most of melvins stikes (besides leg kicks) were blocked
mmapunch
2/16/10 6:18:56PM
Melvin looked real solid, until he got over-aggressive again. It's a shame, if he could keep his hands up all the time, he might be able to get somewhere.