Site updates: 4/12

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA Playground Game Talk » Site updates: 4/12
« Previous Page | Next Page »
ninesevensix
4/14/07 6:23:46PM

Points that were already earned shouldn't have been changed. It should start after UFC70.
BionicIng
4/16/07 12:16:21AM
so you are kind of taking away a good bonus for doing a very good job at picking a fight in favor of giving small bonuses to people who do an ok job as well as a very good job. the incentive for totally nailing a fight seems a little pretty weak to me.
thanks
Daneighb0r
4/16/07 12:26:05AM
ninesevensix is only upset because the balance of power within the camp has shifted to a more impressive man (me).
MethadoneMan
4/16/07 11:58:49PM
I like the new scoring system. Guessing the round the fight ends in is a lot harder than guessing the method of win. It should go like this:

fighter > method > round

I'm glad the change has been made. I don't care if it's retroactive or not.
Dramacydal
4/17/07 3:41:40AM
Whilst I agree with the rules changed I think it is absolutely ludicrous that previous results have been doctored to allow for them.

When we signed up we all knew the rules and whilst I am happy that rule changes can be made if enough people want them its a joke that previous results should be effected by this.

It means in future there is nothing to stop people banding together and complaining about some fickle thing to gain more points.

Obviously half of people are gonna be happy about this and half aren't (some will gain points .. others will lose points) but to change previous results CLEARLY is unfair.

I mean, whilst I have dropped like 60 places, I think I'm closer to the leader, so in effect I 'should' be happy but this is shocking. 4 events away from the end of the season and the rules get changed because people complained???

These people clearly weren't getting points from the hot bouts, the bouts in which it's hardest to make ur decision ... to punish people by removing points on their hot bouts results is unjustified. For example how do you now choose which fight was the "hot bout" from an event and which one is changed? You can't do that in a fair manner.

Again, whilst I agree with the rule changes I think its grossly unfair to do it

A) Mid-season
B) Change previous results under previous rules
C) Reward some players and punish others. Changing their ranking.

drance2624
4/17/07 6:17:39AM
If you want to change the point-scoring system, do it at the end of the season, before the start of season 2.

I was wondering wtf happened, I coulda sworn I was ranked #23, then all of a sudden I come to check the site and I see that I'm now #37. That kinda pissed me off, because I was starting to move up the rankings and get closer to being a real contender for a top 3 spot.

This is a great game, but you really shouldn't be changing rules in the middle of a game (just like any game, that's a big no no)

You should leave the 2 hot bouts, because it makes it more competitive and people can't run away with the season victory.

GO BACK TO THE WAY YOU HAD IT!
drance2624
4/17/07 6:26:47AM
And another thing is the people who aren't complaining:

a.)Have moved up the rankings

or

b.)Have absolutely no chance of winning $500 either way

For myself, I felt like I stood a better chance of winning the $500 before these changes and I feel like this is BS.

I do still think this is a great site and the MODs are just trying to help, but I do think that this season should be played out under previous rules and point-scoring system.

Thanks guys, I hope this all gets worked out.
chop-socky-flix
4/17/07 8:13:05AM

I take it your rankings went UP with the rule changes? The site already ****** me out of a pick I made (I picked Pelligrino at UFN 9 and it didn't go through for some reason) and now they retro away a bunch of my points. All because a bunch of people who can't pick the TOUGH fights cried to the people that run the site like a bunch of bitches. Now I just wanna' get back in the 400's out of spite.

Is it just me or are you 12 years old?

F***s Sake this site is great, just get over it.

Jeeeeeeezzzzz
MethodMan
4/17/07 8:30:09AM
I am sure I lost some points from the so called 'Hot Picks' which in fact where not that hard to call. However I gained more points by knowing the method of fighting used by various fighters and how they usually finish there fights, If this is a Fan site that values MMA knowledge the new rules will help those who know how fighters fight and not just those who luckily guess which round a fight may end in. Also those of us who came in late have less points than those who started earlier anyway, if this site measured % guessed correctly I would be nearer the top than most who have posted comments so far, but you do not hear me bitchin.

Also those that say there was more incetive to get it right before are you kidding. If you bet on a football match you bet on the wining team(the fighter) the number of goals(type of victory) not on time factors (how many exta minutes the ref decides to add onto each half). I prefer Poker to random games of chance I chose horses or football teams based on form not on what their names sound like. The people Bitchin are likly those that relied on pure chance to get them where they are in the table.
rameydl8
4/17/07 9:33:01AM
i like the syestm but not the hot bouts
rameydl8
4/17/07 9:34:02AM
actually i dont care how we do it...lol
BulldogWrestler
4/17/07 10:06:50AM
The thing is - people will complain one way or the other regardless. Someone who wanted to win will compain when things dont go their way.

If you start a league with a scoring system it should stay that way (imo throughout the season and changes made next year - but at least it should stay the way it was when people played). With a different scoring system, people may have selected different ways to get ahead in various leagues - etc.

Just my opinion
chop-socky-flix
4/17/07 10:15:56AM
Sorry forgot to add that i do agree it should have been done (changing points) at the end of the season.

Also Hot Bouts can be a good idea although a better idea would be extra points if you pick the percieved loser of the bunch, say a fighter with less than 20% of the vote at a week before or something.

Dramacydal
4/17/07 12:28:07PM

Posted by MethodMan

I am sure I lost some points from the so called 'Hot Picks' which in fact where not that hard to call. However I gained more points by knowing the method of fighting used by various fighters and how they usually finish there fights, If this is a Fan site that values MMA knowledge the new rules will help those who know how fighters fight and not just those who luckily guess which round a fight may end in. Also those of us who came in late have less points than those who started earlier anyway, if this site measured % guessed correctly I would be nearer the top than most who have posted comments so far, but you do not hear me bitchin.

Also those that say there was more incetive to get it right before are you kidding. If you bet on a football match you bet on the wining team(the fighter) the number of goals(type of victory) not on time factors (how many exta minutes the ref decides to add onto each half). I prefer Poker to random games of chance I chose horses or football teams based on form not on what their names sound like. The people Bitchin are likly those that relied on pure chance to get them where they are in the table.

Again, people aren't complaining that the rules have been changed. I think its nearly universally agreed that these rules are better ... but to implement them on past events is ludicrous.

I would even take a comprimise= implement the new scoring system but keep the hot bouts from previous events the same.

I can give you multiple examples of where I have been ****** on the Hot bouts.

1) Picking Nick Diaz BY sub in the second round .... bye bye 11 points because its suddenly not a hot bout anymore. (I picked Trigg by Unanimous decision so got 22 on that fight anyway.. but still)

2) Losing 11 points for Dustin Hazelett against Diego Saraiva .. despite getting the exact results correct.

Thats just off the top of my head. And these aren't examples of me "getting lucky" on a hot bout ... I picked the EXACT results of the matches ... but am now being deducted points for it because suddenly they aren't hot matches anymore. Thats bullshit.

I don't mind their being a comprimise where the hot bouts stay the same for previous events but the new rules regarding round/method of finish are brought in for past events ... that way its fully rewarding good choices.
hood
4/17/07 12:56:22PM
I don't have a strong opinion about the "hot bouts", but I strongly agree with the change in the scoring system. I was thinking of it myself before I even saw this forum post. If someone can predict that Randy Couture is going to win by TKO, for example, he should get credit for predicting the TKO, even if he doesn't get the round number correct. The prediction shows that the person has a good understanding of the fighters' styles and can therefore predict how one fighter will beat the other.
SPARX
4/17/07 6:50:37PM
Keep the scoring the way it was.
Renegade
4/17/07 9:06:10PM
I like it, I always thought it was stupid that you couldn't get extra points for choosing the ending details correctly without getting the ending time right aswell.

As for the hot bouts, never really cared "too" much about them in the first place, so it doesn't really bother me "too" much that each event will only be limited to one.
drance2624
4/17/07 10:49:20PM
I took the time to write this out in another thread, please forgive me if I'm repeating myself from my couple earlier posts, but I wanted to add this since I took the time to type it :)

I was ranked #23 and now I'm #37. Not too bad really, but still it pushed me further away from $500 and I could really use that $500.

And what's so bad about hot bouts anyways, it's a reward for being able to choose the 2 toughest fights on the card. If you can't play the odds and analyze fighter records and styles then tough shit...don't cry about it.

I liked the 2 hot bouts worth up to 20 points.

But I like the idea that choosing sub/(t)ko/dec are awarded points seperate from choosing the round.

I say 5 points for picking the winner

If the winner is picked correctly, then the way in which the fight was won should be worth 3 points, and a further 2 points if you choose the round in which it ends correctly.

I would still like to see 2 hot bouts in order for there to be more competition and make things more interesting.

If the winner is picked incorrectly, 0 points even if the way/round are picked correctly.

Sorry if my thoughts are a bit disorganized at the moment, I'm pretty tired. But these are my opinions, either way this is a really fun game to play and I'm enjoying it. I just wish that changes would be made at the end of the season or at least any changes made shouldn't alter previous results.

That's the one thing that is really bugging me and standing out as being unfair....altering previous results.

Whatever happens:

THANK YOU FOR PROVIDING THIS AWESOME ONLINE GAME FOR TRUE MMA FANS!
JunCTion
4/18/07 2:05:28AM
i gained from the changes in points and $ but i still dont agree with the retro thing. YOU made those rules and those rules should stand until YOU made the change. the change was made now. why punish people who played by the rules YOU provided. you know that it is not right. why all the threads why all the posts. why a poll that 1% of the playground evn voted on.

i like the new rules (although i dont understand the problem with the hot bouts) by those rules some of us can still make some good points even if we pick the wrong round. thats all good.

THE MAIN PROBLEM HERE IS THAT WE ARE NOT TALKING MMA ON THIS MMA SITE! WE ARE WASTING TO MUCH TIME OVER WHAT SHOULD BE AN EASY DECISION! PLEASE MAKE IT SIMPLE AND CHANGE THE POINTS BACK TO WHAT THEY WERE AND START THE CHANGES AS OF THIS SATURDAY!

you guys have done a great job. i love this site. i have learned so much from every member ive come across (agree or disagree) in these forums. personally i spend more time on this site than all corperate sites combined and i think i get more info, better info, and less garbage to sift through. the fan i am now (major crazy), compared to the fan i was (casual / only spike tv and some rented dvds) is because of this site. ive never been on another forum and dont care to. i get it all here.

DO THE RIGHT THING AND MAKE YOUR CHANGES AS OF NOW & GET RID OF ALL THESE THREADS WASTING MMA TIME TALKING ABOUT IT! PLEASE!

D-Boy
4/18/07 9:29:39AM

Posted by JunCTion

why punish people who played by the rules YOU provided. you know that it is not right. why all the threads why all the posts. why a poll that 1% of the playground evn voted on.

Before the rules we had punished people with greater MMA knowlege than some other people. This fixes the problem, also the poll is there because we all have a voice on this forum it's not fair to demand stuff like your doing as (at the moment) more people want it to work retroactivly.
JunCTion
4/18/07 11:13:01AM

Posted by D-Boy

Posted by JunCTion

why punish people who played by the rules YOU provided. you know that it is not right. why all the threads why all the posts. why a poll that 1% of the playground evn voted on.

Before the rules we had punished people with greater MMA knowlege than some other people. This fixes the problem, also the poll is there because we all have a voice on this forum it's not fair to demand stuff like your doing as (at the moment) more people want it to work retroactivly.

i understand, i agree with you 90% and i said i liked the new rules, just not the retroing of them. and the poll would be more effective if it were pm'd to everybody since it is such an important issue. change the rules. im all for it. just change them now. remember, i said i benefited from the retro, i just dont think its right. it woudnt happen at school. it wouldnt hapen at work. and do you think that if your bank changed its policy it would go back and give you all the $ you would have had? no
GutZ
4/18/07 2:26:30PM
I can't remember really what it "was before" Since I am so new, one thing is that I think this place is pretty new so trying out new tihngs might not be bad idea.

The hot bout things were odd...I made more sense to have as like underdog bonus...like if you picked matt serra that night you'd get triple/quadruple point (depending on how far the spread was say every 30% different point double, triple, qaudruple), or something.

I personally think that would be a cool idea to impliemnt.
JunCTion
4/18/07 4:06:00PM

Posted by GutZ

I can't remember really what it "was before" Since I am so new, one thing is that I think this place is pretty new so trying out new tihngs might not be bad idea.

The hot bout things were odd...I made more sense to have as like underdog bonus...like if you picked matt serra that night you'd get triple/quadruple point (depending on how far the spread was say every 30% different point double, triple, qaudruple), or something.

I personally think that would be a cool idea to impliemnt.

nice first post. i like that idea. forget the hot bout (closest). make the hot bout the riskiest pick.
but that would also be way to much luck>knowledge.
Copenhagen
4/18/07 7:27:28PM
I have an idea about the new system. I don't know if this was suggested or not, but why not make choosing the winner = 2 pts. choosing round 5pts. choosing sub/ko 5pts (just an example). Another words, picking the winner should be worth the least points. Since it's harder to predict the way and round which they win rather then picking who wins.
nellyhiphophead
4/18/07 8:06:32PM

Posted by Copenhagen

I have an idea about the new system. I don't know if this was suggested or not, but why not make choosing the winner = 2 pts. choosing round 5pts. choosing sub/ko 5pts (just an example). Another words, picking the winner should be worth the least points. Since it's harder to predict the way and round which they win rather then picking who wins.

picking the winner should be worth the most. then the others should be the same and then you get more if you get all 3
JunCTion
4/18/07 8:11:08PM

Posted by nellyhiphophead

Posted by Copenhagen

picking the winner should be worth the most. then the others should be the same and then you get more if you get all 3

best way
Rush
4/19/07 4:47:57PM
Looking at my points I think the scoring system didn't really affect me a whole lot.

As far as your rank is concerned. I think the difference between 400th and 600th place is less than 15 points. Come on people, 15 pts is nothing in the grand scheme of things. It's just a game.
unethikal
4/24/07 8:02:14AM
Much better. I always felt that picking a round takes more luck than picking the move. So that helps by taking out a big element of luck IMO.

I like the 2 Hot bouts. It rewards people that can accurately pick results of a close fight. If you can see a clear winner in some of those bouts I feel extra points should be rewarded. Its a good way to seperate the better pickers from the average.
aznteabagger
4/24/07 7:07:28PM
am i allowed to wager on a different fighter than i picked for my upcoming events
Tamara
4/26/07 1:44:17PM

Posted by aznteabagger

am i allowed to wager on a different fighter than i picked for my upcoming events

I believe you are, but should seek further input from more seasoned MMA players. I don't wager.....but I think I have seen my husband do it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4