Site Idea

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA Playground Game Talk » Site Idea
grappler0000
1/12/12 1:09:06AM

I have a unique site idea that I was thinking about the other day, but we’ll get to that in a moment. So, the playground has many wonderful MMA tools…aggregated news, videos, a blog, fighter profiles, etc. Those things are great to use if you’re already a member of the PG. It’s practically one-stop shopping, which is very convenient. None of these things will necessarily bring in new eyes to the site on their own though. In other words, there are plenty of options on the internet for all of those things. If someone isn’t a member already, they probably won’t come to the site for news or videos. There are a few MMA websites that have something unique that bring in visitors. Sherdog’s fight finder and MMA Payout’s bluebook are a couple of good examples.

So, I had an idea…and I did some googling and I don’t think it’s been really implemented before. What I’m thinking is an MMA fact checker. Not just for checking normal facts or fighter records…but like a snopes page for MMA. I know everyone here at some point and time has tried to find out if Rickson is really 400-0 or if Big Tim really shit himself during a fight. Following the same format as Snopes, each subject could be listed as true, false, undetermined, etc. Obviously the only way for it to work properly would be for ample research to be done on each subject. Carelessness would take away any credibility fairly quick. I don’t foresee the setup being too terribly difficult. The initial setup would essentially be an empty page/section and could get items added over time. So, instead of searching only to find a comment on a MMA Weekly article that links to a thread on Sherdog that may or may not be reliable, there would be one place to go to for reliable information…one that could be cited by others on the internet as well. And if done properly, people will go to it for reliability, much like Snopes. There could even be a way to submit a suggestion for a topic…and whatever questions were most popular, could make their way to the top of the list to be researched. Now, with accuracy being paramount, a wiki format wouldn’t work…so the only question left would be who would do the research.

Bubbles
1/12/12 1:22:13AM
great idea. ill start:

Keith Jardine has more (T)KO wins than (T)KO losses
FastKnockout
1/12/12 3:15:02AM
Great idea! I read an article about MMA fact or fiction recently.. Think it was from Bleacher Report.
Poor_Franklin
1/12/12 3:58:28AM
absolutely awesome idea!

warglory
1/12/12 9:20:21AM
Sounds like a good idea.
emfleek
1/12/12 9:37:11AM
Great idea. I'm thinking a committee of 3-5 people would need to be formed to start the initial project. Suggestions could be sent via a link and approved/denied on a case-by-case basis. Sources/references would also have to be cited for sure.

It sounds great in theory...whether or not it can be done isn't my call. We'll wait for DTM to make that call.
scoozna
1/12/12 11:03:31AM
It's a very interesting idea. I know that many people on this site spend a lot of time researching fighters and MMA news in preparation for making picks - it only makes sense that some of these people would be very good at researching a "fact", or story, or event, etc...
BlueSkiesBurn
1/12/12 4:12:39PM
I approve this idea. The only way to make it work though, is to ensure that the fact checking team are among the best as checking sources, verifying sources, and are able to write in such a way that it illustrates that it has been done with due diligence
grappler0000
1/12/12 4:25:48PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I approve this idea. The only way to make it work though, is to ensure that the fact checking team are among the best as checking sources, verifying sources, and are able to write in such a way that it illustrates that it has been done with due diligence

Absolutely. It's all or nothing IMO.
DoTheMMAth
1/13/12 1:22:47PM
Love the idea! Just the elbow grease part of research and writing is the hard part