silva on track to set the ufc record

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » silva on track to set the ufc record
fonduktoe
8/20/08 3:28:56AM
unless my facts are off i think silva is on his way to going 8-0 in the ufc if he beats cote (pretty sure he will) which will tie him up with fitch and gracie
dana white has said that if he gets through cote he could return to lhw which is teeming with talent
here's hoping that he gets his 8th and 9th in a row (he deserves the accolade with the competition he's beaten)
Mr_Dead_Sexy
8/20/08 5:01:16AM
Didn't Royce forfeit his next match in the tourney after he fought Kimo? I could be wrong, but I remember him being carried out after he beat him, then the next match, his corner just toweled before it even started. I know that technically it shouldn't be a loss because he didn't fight, but in the early days of the UFC, it may've, but Dana just wants to ignore that for hype.
Aether
8/20/08 6:45:46AM
no, that happened after the 8th win, that's why it is only 8. If he had forfeited the match before entering the octagon rather than entering the ring and having his corner throw in the towel he actually would have had an 11 fight win streak. That incident is not being ignored, that is exactly when his win streak ended.

UFC 1 = 3 fights
UFC 2 = 4 fights
UFC 3 = 1 win over Kimo followed by a forfeit loss to howard.

===

8 wins.

** Edit **
After re-reading your post I'm actually not sure if you're saying that they are ignoring the fact that royce's win streak should be longer, or if you're saying that it should be shorter, but either way the explanation is that he actually ENTERED the octagon and then forfeited as opposed to opting not to fight beforehand. Had he not entered the octagon it would be 11.
prozacnation1978
8/20/08 10:05:22AM
i noticed that too after the hendo win, i hope he breaks it i think he will if he beats cote and then faces okami next
AchillesHeel
8/20/08 10:12:19AM

Posted by fonduktoe

unless my facts are off i think silva is on his way to going 8-0 in the ufc if he beats cote (pretty sure he will) which will tie him up with fitch and gracie
dana white has said that if he gets through cote he could return to lhw which is teeming with talent
here's hoping that he gets his 8th and 9th in a row (he deserves the accolade with the competition he's beaten)

Yes, you're right. I looked at this a while ago myself, and Fight Matrix has some interesting stats.

Not only is Silva sitting on a 7-fight win streak, tying him with Liddell, Couture, Miletich, and Franklin for 3rd place all-time, he's also got 3 title defenses, which puts him 6th all-time. And he's the only one on both those lists whose streaks are active (Thiago Alves has 6 consecutive wins, but of course has no title to defend).
Naturaldisaster
8/20/08 1:38:16PM
Anderson is the best and he's gonna go down as the best fighter ever when he retires. But I wouldnt compare him with Royce. Royce isnt even in his league. I wouldnt put anyone of the fighters that fought in the early ufc, in any current Fighters league. I've always said, anyone can win a fight with no rules. but it takes a real man to win a fight with in the given rules.