Silva's Suspension Defiance Now Official, Fighting At Sengoku 7

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Silva's Suspension Defiance Now Official, Fighting At Sengoku 7
DCRage
12/8/08 5:36:52PM
It's now official-EliteXC Heavyweight Champion Antonio Silva has accepted an offer to face Yoshihiro Nakao at Sengoku 7 on January 4, despite just getting a letter stating that the CSAC will move to revoke his license because Silva is still serving a 1-year suspension for a failed post-fight drug test.

Article
StevenSeagal
12/8/08 6:16:05PM
what happens in Japan stays in Japan. Now Silva will have to stay in Japan...
Jim_Dangle
12/8/08 7:57:58PM
The American athletic commissions must enjoy watching people struggle to survive. Nice to see someone stand up to an American bully.
cmill21
12/8/08 8:11:25PM

Posted by StevenSeagal

what happens in Japan stays in Japan. Now Silva will have to stay in Japan...

And he'll make more money and be more popular then he ever was here lol.
kasual
12/8/08 9:37:50PM

Posted by Jim_Dangle

The American athletic commissions must enjoy watching people struggle to survive. Nice to see someone stand up to an American bully.

Well said. While I agree that the commissions have to be tough on steroid use, I don't see any validity to their objection to Silva fighting out of the country. The guy made a mistake, getting caught using performance enhancing drugs, but he's not the first and he needs to make a living and stay competitive. The fact that other commissions say they will honour each others bans just seems like saber rattling to give their rulings more weight. Fight-sports have always been an international affair, what is illegal in one jurisdiction could be legal in another, Silva should be free to try his luck in other markets knowing he will be able to come home for a payday when his day comes. Although, like one of the other posters said, he will probably be more successful and be in more lucrative fights in Japan. If Bob Sapp can be a superstar there, anybody can.
Jackelope
12/8/08 10:02:53PM

Posted by kasual

Posted by Jim_Dangle

Well said. While I agree that the commissions have to be tough on steroid use, I don't see any validity to their objection to Silva fighting out of the country. The guy made a mistake, getting caught using performance enhancing drugs, but he's not the first and he needs to make a living and stay competitive. The fact that other commissions say they will honour each others bans just seems like saber rattling to give their rulings more weight. Fight-sports have always been an international affair, what is illegal in one jurisdiction could be legal in another, Silva should be free to try his luck in other markets knowing he will be able to come home for a payday when his day comes. Although, like one of the other posters said, he will probably be more successful and be in more lucrative fights in Japan. If Bob Sapp can be a superstar there, anybody can.

I agree with this. A year off for a fighter can be damaging to a huge extent. There are the ramifications of losing your ranking, developing cage rust, and worst of all the lack of an income. I think commissions should be hard on steroid use, but I wonder if they're possibly taking it too far here.
Princeofpunk
12/9/08 12:43:45AM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by kasual

Posted by Jim_Dangle

I agree with this. A year off for a fighter can be damaging to a huge extent. There are the ramifications of losing your ranking, developing cage rust, and worst of all the lack of an income. I think commissions should be hard on steroid use, but I wonder if they're possibly taking it too far here.

Well put, I think a year off is a bit much, shit NFL guys get 4 games for a 1st offense. Lighten on AC's
telnights
12/9/08 1:44:42PM
I don't know...how about not using performance drugs and you wont have to worry how long the suspension is. That's the problem the NFL and MLB is facing now. They are to relaxed on their suspensions and drug testing and its tarnishing the sports. If you ask most people they will say all those guys use performance drugs and this image to the public is directly due to the relaxed rules by today's sports.
Focker101
12/9/08 3:19:46PM

Posted by telnights

I don't know...how about not using performance drugs and you wont have to worry how long the suspension is. That's the problem the NFL and MLB is facing now. They are to relaxed on their suspensions and drug testing and its tarnishing the sports. If you ask most people they will say all those guys use performance drugs and this image to the public is directly due to the relaxed rules by today's sports.

I think a year suspension is a very light sentence
you know lets look at the other side of this and that is the guy who does not use and he loses the fight maybe he would have won if all things were even
as a result he will lose some lucrative oportunities including future fights
endorsements maybe a shot at a world title.

No I say 1 year is good and 3 years for repeat offenders, because they just don't learn.. three times and life suspension because apparently you don't get it and who knows how many times you have and will beat the test..
this will greatly reduce the amount of steriod users
Pookie
12/9/08 6:38:38PM
I cant get the thought of Silva and his managers saying that performance enhancement drugs would close to kill Silva if he took him due to his condition... anybody know if there's validity to this statement?