Silva vs. Sonnen Rematch Slated for NYE or Super Bowl Event

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Silva vs. Sonnen Rematch Slated for NYE or Super Bowl Event
Next Page »
lohmann
8/24/10 3:17:54AM
Lance Pugmire of The Los Angeles Times, one of the few in the media with UFC president Dana White’s direct cell number, is reporting that Chael Sonnen will be granted an immediate rematch against middleweight king Anderson Silva.

According to the report, the highly anticipated mulligan will either go down on the UFC’s New Year’s Eve or Super Bowl weekend card.

UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta told Pugmire that Silva’s bruised – NOT BROKEN – ribs will be the determining factor on when the scrap will take place. He added that it’s possible the champ may require a layoff until early February in order to get right, which would be pushing pigskin time.

link
Aether
8/24/10 4:56:08AM
I still have to pick Silva. Sonnen definitely surprised me by dominating as badly as he did, but I still don't think he can avoid getting triangled or KOed over the course of 25 minutes.
TheGodfather1024
8/24/10 7:06:42AM
I don't even know who to pick
Wand_is_GOD
8/24/10 7:10:45AM
I hope it is not on super bowl weekend.
DCRage
8/24/10 8:27:08AM
It's good to be Vitor Belfort now, eh?
emfleek
8/24/10 8:49:35AM

Posted by Aether

I still have to pick Silva. Sonnen definitely surprised me by dominating as badly as he did, but I still don't think he can avoid getting triangled or KOed over the course of 25 minutes.

Agreed. I want Sonnen to win (soooooo bad) but I think his chance to catch lightning in a bottle came and went.
MiniMan
8/24/10 10:05:07AM
To be honest, Anderson minus broken ribs = Chael getting destroyed, This fight will be over much more quickly. And yes I did see the first fight!

Still though, MAD PROPS to Sonnen for his effort.

emfleek
8/24/10 10:06:32AM

Posted by MiniMan

To be honest, Anderson minus broken ribs = Chael getting destroyed, This fight will be over much more quickly. And yes I did see the first fight!

Still though, MAD PROPS to Sonnen for his effort.

UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta told Pugmire that Silva’s bruised – NOT BROKEN – ribs will be the determining factor on when the scrap will take place.
madac
8/24/10 10:09:29AM
I think everybody is counting Sonnen out. Its gona go the same way as the 1st fight, but Sonnen isn’t gona get caught the 2nd time around.
Aether
8/24/10 10:15:11AM

Posted by madac

I think everybody is counting Sonnen out. Its gona go the same way as the 1st fight, but Sonnen isn’t gona get caught the 2nd time around.

I don't think anyone can possibly "count him out" after the first fight, but 25 minutes is a very long time to sit on top of a black belt without getting caught at some point when you have the submission defense that Chael does.

I would absolutely love to be proven wrong, and I really never thought that Silva's ribs were a big factor, but I think it's going to go pretty much the same as the first fight.
DJBlankenship
8/24/10 10:16:27AM

Posted by madac

chickmagnet
8/24/10 10:45:17AM
Really hope Chael turns up the GnP even more and scores a tko
Boo_Radley21
8/24/10 10:56:55AM
Well I wanted to see Vitor fight for the title but alright. In the mean time I would like to see Vitor fight either Okami and winner gets Silva or Leben cause it would be entertaining.
Copenhagen
8/24/10 11:05:00AM
Is this the first time a challenger gets an immediate rematch for the belt?
sbulldavid
8/24/10 11:06:29AM
That fight went pretty much how I expected, except Sonnen dropping Silva was a fluke and probably due to Silva's injuries. I think that was one of the all time great fights but If Sonnen couldn't beat Silva on an off day, I can't see him beating him on a good day.
CCPRIDE99
8/24/10 11:07:36AM
id like to see silva come out and fight like he has in the past and destroy chael
and this is getting really old
EVERYONE wants to or is getting an immediate rematch or a title shot coming off a loss now;
chael, shogun, fedor (title shot or immediate rematch), penn (AGAIN), bonnar, danzig, and rampage was supposed to get one with forrest
whether they deserve the immediate rematches or not theyre still getting quite a few of them. kind of makes me think promoters are playing favorites...hmm...
lohmann
8/24/10 11:08:46AM

Posted by Copenhagen

Rizzo vs. Couture II.
Rua vs. Machida II
Copenhagen
8/24/10 11:14:19AM

Posted by lohmann

Posted by Copenhagen

Rizzo vs. Couture II.
Rua vs. Machida II

Wow, I forgot about Rua/Machida.
I guess that makes this the first time a challenger gets a rematch after being finished by the champ.

Edit: Bummer, I have to spread the love.
icantthinkofanything
8/24/10 11:39:27AM
Chael deserves a rematch for being the first guy to win 5 rounds on points, but than be tapped out at the end. Chael needs to work with Marcelo Garcia, Maia or some really good bjj player. Chael always gets submitted, when it comes to his losses. I knew he would tap because he couldnt avoid tapping to a lesser bjj guy in Sobral.

I dont believe Chael was unconcious, and should not have complained of early stoppage or whatever the controversy was at the end of the fight. If you look closely Chael is not out, he is trying to stop his arm from breaking, and couldnt take the pain, the triangle problly made him feel more trapped,especially with a leg and an arm controlled. He was not out, ( maybe had him going out initially, but was not tight around the neck when Silva switched attention to arm bar), and it must suck to pride yourself on being tough, than tapping (2 a pain move) and saying you didnt.
meier
8/24/10 11:42:18AM
i'm tired of hearing excuses from guys after a loss, we all know or least most of us know that you will be hurt training for a fight. i am talking about anderson silva's rib excuse. and what is different he said it after he won. only to give an excuse to cover up why he got man handled during the fight. so i think the same thing will probably happen again but with a different outcome of sonnen finishing him off this time.
prozacnation1978
8/24/10 11:53:58AM
Won't be NYE. New years day is sat this year.
My guess is feb next year. With this and shogun on shelf once again two weight classes will be held up for another 6 months or more

Ufc really needs to add another weight class. I am so tired of this
Look this year. Lesnar defended twice
Light heavy once
Gsp. Twice
Lightweight twice
Middle once. That is 8 events and right now by year end it would be 17 pay per view events. Christ not even half were title fights.
meier
8/24/10 11:58:23AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

My guess is feb next year. With this and shogun on shelf once again two weight classes will be held up for another 6 months or more

Light heavy once
Gsp. Twice
Lightweight twice
Middle once. That is 8 events and right now by year end it would be 17 pay per view events. Christ not even half were title fights.

agreed they should just move the wec fighters up to the ufc
Jackelope
8/24/10 12:22:18PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Light heavy once
Gsp. Twice
Lightweight twice

To be fair Lesnar just came off a huge illness, and Lesnar vs. Cain will be at UFC 121 on Oct. 23, which is only 3 months after his fight against Carwin. So I don't necessarily think Lesnar deserves the criticism.

Shogun is injured unfortunately so you can probably blame that for him not defending this year. Before that Machida had suffered a broken hand which postponed the rematch.

Anderson Silva fought Maia in April and then Sonnen just a few weeks ago. So that's 2 by my count (you must have missed one) and now rumors are swirling that he wants to make it back from his injury as early as possible.

GSP doesn't really have an excuse to my knowledge.

BJ Penn fought on 12/11/09 so fighting against Edgar 5 months later isn't too huge of a deal IMO. Especially since he's fighting again this weekend and there is a small chance he could fight again by the end of the year but for sure will probably fight early, early next year.

With the exception of GSP (who doesn't have a legitimate challenger anyways) it has just been a bad year for injuries. I don't think you can necessarily blame anyone and that you just have to kind of accept the sport for what it is. One that involves a lot of injuries.

Hell, UFC 102 with Couture didn't have a title shot as the main event and that was one hell of a card IMO. Anymore I think most of the championship fights are pretty boring anyways.
Chieftan1997
8/24/10 12:39:47PM
B.J. Penn Frankie Edgar too, Copenhagen!!
Aether
8/24/10 12:45:37PM

Posted by CCPRIDE99

id like to see silva come out and fight like he has in the past and destroy chael
EVERYONE wants to or is getting an immediate rematch or a title shot coming off a loss now;
chael, shogun, fedor (title shot or immediate rematch), penn (AGAIN), bonnar, danzig, and rampage was supposed to get one with forrest
whether they deserve the immediate rematches or not theyre still getting quite a few of them. kind of makes me think promoters are playing favorites...hmm...

Well people like to throw these arguments around without actually examining the context of the situation. Look at the reason for the rematch in each fight and it will make considerably more sense than just "UFC playing favourites."

Shogun, Rampage, and BJ all beat their opponents and took a loss as a result of bad judging in some of the most controversial decisions in the history of the sport.

Fedor has lost once in over 30 fights and over a decade - I said even before he lost that whoever beats him will have to do it twice in a row, and that he is sure to be favourite in the rematch even after the loss happens. If going undefeated for over a decade doesn't earn you an immediate rematch with the person who eventually beats you what does?

As for the other fights there are strange circumstances. Bonnar got cut against Sos in a fight that was a great crowd pleaser and could have gone either way. Danzig took a submission loss as a result of a really, really terrible call by a referee when he clearly wasn't anywhere close to being submitted, and finally Sonnen is the only person in a dozen fights to even come close to challenging Silva. He dominated for something like 23 minutes and then got caught in a sub. He shocked pretty much everyone and completely dominated the guy who appeared untouchable for the last 4 years.

Again, if you examine the context of each situation it's clear why the rematches are being given. If someone challenges for the title and just outright gets their ass kicked they're obviously not getting an immediate rematch. If you take a bad decision, lose because of bad officiating, or dominate someone who seemed unbeatable for the majority of the fight you are clearly in a position where an immediate rematch is a consideration. Add to the fact that most of these guys have completely wiped their divisions clean and you have an even more compelling argument for a rematch.
Jackelope
8/24/10 2:14:09PM

Posted by icantthinkofanything
I knew he would tap because he couldnt avoid tapping to a lesser bjj guy in Sobral.

Let me get this straight...

You're saying Babalu Sobral is a "lesser BJJ guy" ?
Chael_Sonnen
8/24/10 3:44:14PM
Payback time
CCPRIDE99
8/24/10 3:51:38PM

Posted by Aether

Posted by CCPRIDE99

Well people like to throw these arguments around without actually examining the context of the situation. Look at the reason for the rematch in each fight and it will make considerably more sense than just "UFC playing favourites."

Shogun, Rampage, and BJ all beat their opponents and took a loss as a result of bad judging in some of the most controversial decisions in the history of the sport.

Fedor has lost once in over 30 fights and over a decade - I said even before he lost that whoever beats him will have to do it twice in a row, and that he is sure to be favourite in the rematch even after the loss happens. If going undefeated for over a decade doesn't earn you an immediate rematch with the person who eventually beats you what does?

As for the other fights there are strange circumstances. Bonnar got cut against Sos in a fight that was a great crowd pleaser and could have gone either way. Danzig took a submission loss as a result of a really, really terrible call by a referee when he clearly wasn't anywhere close to being submitted, and finally Sonnen is the only person in a dozen fights to even come close to challenging Silva. He dominated for something like 23 minutes and then got caught in a sub. He shocked pretty much everyone and completely dominated the guy who appeared untouchable for the last 4 years.

Again, if you examine the context of each situation it's clear why the rematches are being given. If someone challenges for the title and just outright gets their ass kicked they're obviously not getting an immediate rematch. If you take a bad decision, lose because of bad officiating, or dominate someone who seemed unbeatable for the majority of the fight you are clearly in a position where an immediate rematch is a consideration. Add to the fact that most of these guys have completely wiped their divisions clean and you have an even more compelling argument for a rematch.

bj penn is gonna beat coutures record for title shots because of this. his first title shot against jens was legit but then his first fight back he fought gsp and lost, got an immediate title shot anyways and lost, got only one win and won the title right after, got one more win and got another title shot, and now he loses and gets ANOTHER immediate title shot
BlueSkiesBurn
8/24/10 6:26:41PM
I'm completely okay with this rematch. Vitor has already said he won't fight for the title in his return and NOBODY has pushed Anderson in the UFC like Sonnen did. It's not like there's a MORE amazing match-up out there anyhow.
postman
8/24/10 9:55:10PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by icantthinkofanything
I knew he would tap because he couldnt avoid tapping to a lesser bjj guy in Sobral.

Let me get this straight...

You're saying Babalu Sobral is a "lesser BJJ guy" ?

Not mention Brazilians would never train an american like chael to fight Anderson.
Pages: [1] 2