Silva/Sonnen 3

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Silva/Sonnen 3
Next Page »
POLL: Would You Be Interested in Silva/Sonnen 3?
Yes 45% (20)
No 55% (24)
jakewalters
7/8/12 8:08:22PM
Anderson has finished Chael Sonnen twice now, but we saw last night that even with no cracked ribs Sonnen has the ability to beat Silva up. Obviously Chael doesn't warrant an immediate rematch, but do you want to see a third scrap between the two?

Personally, I do just because the rivalry is so legendary at this point and Anderson's biggest two tests have come in both Sonnen fights so far in Andy's 15-fight UFC career.

Do you ever want to see Silva/Sonnen 3 or do you think the UFC should shut the book on it, even if Chael wins his next couple fights? Almost like the way I think Shogun will never get a JBJ fight again and Kos will never get GSP again no matter what they do.

I think this rivalry has added a lot to Anderson's legacy. At this point most would argue that Sonnen is the #2 middleweight and Silva's biggest rival, and he's now finished Chael two out of two times impressively.
warglory
7/8/12 8:11:02PM
I agree. I have no logical reason beyond the fact that we know that Sonnen has shown an ability to challenge Silva, in both fights, and that the lead up would be entertaining. I just don't know what angle Sonnen could take to actually make it work seeing as he has been beaten twice.
infestructure
7/8/12 8:19:49PM
You are right, technically, he does not deserve the rematch.

But I wanna see it!
kopower
7/8/12 8:25:41PM
Not right away. Maybe after a few Sonnen wins. Silva would more than likely be ready to retire then. Maybe have that one in Brazil, so Chael can take Andy up on his offer of Brazilian bbq then.
Copenhagen
7/8/12 8:30:14PM
Sonnen will need more than 2 wins to warrant a rematch this go around.
It would be interesting only because Sonnen is one of few who have actually won rounds against Silva.
The strategy of both fighters would just be the same though: Sonnen trying to survive 25 minutes, while Silva tries to finish him.
SpiderSilva
7/8/12 8:31:44PM
Sonnen would have to crush/finish 5-6 TOP comp for me to even want to see it again. Silva shut Sonnen only weapon(the takedown) down in rd 2 after that Sonnen was at a loss and was made look like a desperate fighter. He lost that confidence that he came into the fight with.
george112
7/8/12 8:39:01PM
I would want to see a third fight because I kinda really don't feel Anderson beat Chael.

I feel like Chael beat Chael
warglory
7/8/12 8:39:07PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

Sonnen would have to crush/finish 5-6 TOP comp for me to even want to see it again. Silva shut Sonnen only weapon(the takedown) down in rd 2 after that Sonnen was at a loss and was made look like a desperate fighter. He lost that confidence that he came into the fight with.

5 or 6 wins? That's like 2-3 years of competition potentially? That's silly.

If Silva is so much better at wrestling, what happened in rd 1? And Sonnen was clearly winning the second round. The truth is, you can't tell how well Silva would have done had Sonnen not thrown such a stupid maneuver.
pmoney
7/8/12 8:41:39PM
Tito fought Ken Shamrock three times....
Twenty20Dollars
7/8/12 8:50:44PM

Posted by pmoney

Tito fought Ken Shamrock three times....

Only b/c Shammy thought the second fight was stopped too soon.
Copenhagen
7/8/12 8:54:53PM
I know this has no correlation to the sport as it is set up, but if Sonnen were to fight Silva until one of them were actually finished...I don't think Sonnen would win once if they fought 1000 times.
Which is the main reason I am glad Silva won...who wants a belt holder who doesn't finish fights?

Poor_Franklin
7/8/12 9:01:16PM
not right now
Budgellism
7/8/12 9:17:40PM
Not unless there's no other option. Sonnen would have to be on at least a 3-4 fight win streak and Silva would have to have cleaned out the division entirely again.

One thing is for sure though. The 3rd fight will never be as good as the 1st one was and the lead up to the fight will never be as good as it was for the 2nd. I feel like a 3rd fight would only take away from the history of the 1st 2 fights.
FastKnockout
7/8/12 9:21:22PM
No. Silva is 2 up on him, both finishes. It wouldn't make any sense unless Sonnen managed another solid run.
SpiderSilva
7/8/12 9:21:29PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by SpiderSilva

5 or 6 wins? That's like 2-3 years of competition potentially? That's silly.

If Silva is so much better at wrestling, what happened in rd 1? And Sonnen was clearly winning the second round. The truth is, you can't tell how well Silva would have done had Sonnen not thrown such a stupid maneuver.

Yeah who gives a dam what would have happened. He was FINISHED. Omg he won the first rd. He had complete control and did NOTHING. Oh wait he did win that rd. 2nd rd once Sonnen couldn't take Silva down he became EXTREMELY DESPERATE.

At the end of the day Silva has FINISHED SONNEN TWICE. Sonnen can go hang out with Koscheck in the not getting another title shot as long as the champion is champion room.
SpiderSilva
7/8/12 9:24:28PM

Posted by Copenhagen

I know this has no correlation to the sport as it is set up, but if Sonnen were to fight Silva until one of them were actually finished...I don't think Sonnen would win once if they fought 1000 times.
Which is the main reason I am glad Silva won...who wants a belt holder who doesn't finish fights?

But Sonnen would win a lot of rds cause that matters when you lose when Sonnen fights Silva.

2 finishes > dominating 6rds 100%of the time
FastKnockout
7/8/12 9:25:43PM
"we saw last night that even with no cracked ribs Sonnen has the ability to beat Silva up."

Let's be honest, even with full control the whole first round, Sonnen didn't hurt Silva last night.
ChrisSabal
7/8/12 9:30:33PM

Posted by FastKnockout

"we saw last night that even with no cracked ribs Sonnen has the ability to beat Silva up."

Let's be honest, even with full control the whole first round, Sonnen didn't hurt Silva last night.

Silva looked very calm on the bottom last night too. Didn't seem to have a problem with it and remained very calm after the first round.
jakewalters
7/8/12 9:50:49PM

Posted by FastKnockout

You have to give Sonnen a little credit for owning the first round. I had it 10-9, but it was a few hard strikes from a 10-8.
warglory
7/8/12 9:56:02PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

Yeah who gives a dam what would have happened. He was FINISHED. Omg he won the first rd. He had complete control and did NOTHING. Oh wait he did win that rd. 2nd rd once Sonnen couldn't take Silva down he became EXTREMELY DESPERATE.

At the end of the day Silva has FINISHED SONNEN TWICE. Sonnen can go hang out with Koscheck in the not getting another title shot as long as the champion is champion room.

A lot of people give a damn. That's the whole point of this thread. When has Sonnen ever fought desperately in his career? Not once in the first fight, or this one, did Sonnen fight desperate. I'd like to see the moment you believe Sonnen got desperate.

infestructure
7/8/12 10:08:09PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by SpiderSilva

A lot of people give a damn. That's the whole point of this thread. When has Sonnen ever fought desperately in his career? Not once in the first fight, or this one, did Sonnen fight desperate. I'd like to see the moment you believe Sonnen got desperate.

That spinning backfist looked kinda desperate...
FastKnockout
7/8/12 10:48:00PM

Posted by jakewalters

Posted by FastKnockout

You have to give Sonnen a little credit for owning the first round. I had it 10-9, but it was a few hard strikes from a 10-8.

He was doing great at controlling Silva no doubt. I just wouldn't say he was beating him up. lol
Pookie
7/8/12 11:40:43PM
I don't think the first round was close to a 10-8
Bubbles
7/9/12 12:03:32AM
If Sonnen wins his next 3 fights and Silva is still the champ, I'm for it. If he beats the likes of a Franklin/Belfort/Lombard/Boetsch/Belcher/Bisping II/Weidman/Munoz/Palhares in 2 of those fights then I don't see how you can deny him a 3rd shot
telnights
7/9/12 12:06:02AM
The first fight with Sonnen it was clear Anderson wasn't 100%. He was last night and it showed. Amazing how fast people forget the fact that Silva lost the first round against Travis Lutter and Dan Henderson and both had him in dangerous positions in the first round. But Lutter, Henderson, and now Sonnen all lost in the 2nd round. I would much rather see him fight Henderson again or watch him beat Michael Bisping up. Could always give Munoz or Boetsch a chance. I don't think Weidman is ready.
postman
7/9/12 8:17:18AM
No! No! No! You lose to the Champ twice and you go play around with that 195 class. I think its funny everyone is giving Chael so much credit for the first round when had it been any other fight the damn crowd would have been booing and looking for a stand up. Anderson came out over aggressive and Chael put him on his back. 2nd round Anderson adjusted and Cheal never came close to getting him down. He was finished 2 times its not even an option for a 3rd fight. Maybe is Anderson loses the Title and they meet on the road back to it but I can't see Anderson sticking around for that.
prozacnation1978
7/9/12 10:18:08AM
Sonnen had his chance twice.
I think he moves to 205. For at least two years than comes down to 185 after silva retires
warglory
7/9/12 9:59:02PM

Posted by postman

No! No! No! You lose to the Champ twice and you go play around with that 195 class. I think its funny everyone is giving Chael so much credit for the first round when had it been any other fight the damn crowd would have been booing and looking for a stand up. Anderson came out over aggressive and Chael put him on his back. 2nd round Anderson adjusted and Cheal never came close to getting him down. He was finished 2 times its not even an option for a 3rd fight. Maybe is Anderson loses the Title and they meet on the road back to it but I can't see Anderson sticking around for that.

How come no one is blaming Anderson for hanging on for dear life, holding Chael close to him, waiting for a stand up from the ref? Chael did his job, and would have rained down hell had Anderson been active in his guard, but instead he held a defensive posture for the entire round, nullifying Chael's offense.
Pookie
7/9/12 10:05:56PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by postman

How come no one is blaming Anderson for hanging on for dear life, holding Chael close to him, waiting for a stand up from the ref? Chael did his job, and would have rained down hell had Anderson been active in his guard, but instead he held a defensive posture for the entire round, nullifying Chael's offense.

Why would someone blame him for choosing the best course of action?
warglory
7/9/12 10:12:25PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by warglory

Posted by postman

Why would someone blame him for choosing the best course of action?

Because it's literally the exact same thing as lnp, that's why. Chael had no intention of laying and praying, but Silva didn't seem interested in advancing his position, yet somehow Chael is getting flak for attempting to be the aggressor.
Pages: [1] 2