Where does Silva go after Saturday? (ESPN)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Where does Silva go after Saturday? (ESPN)
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/24/08 2:19:58AM
He really doesn't have anyone left to fight.

In his last fight, Anderson Silva, left, dismantled light heavyweight James Irvin in under a round.
Dan Henderson and Rich Franklin represented the two most substantial threats to Silva's title; both were thoroughly and impressively throttled. Nate Marquardt would probably be discussed as a dark horse for contention, but Silva force-fed him leather, too.

Michael Bisping? A rising contender, but title contention should be predicated on actually beating a top-10 opponent or three. Demian Maia? He's ahead of Bisping in terms of quality opposition, but fans aren't warm to him yet. Yushin Okami? An impressive 6-1 record in the UFC and some unfinished business with Silva -- Okami "won" via a disqualification when Silva illegally struck him on the ground years back -- but a conservative approach.

Mostly justifiable fights, but do they really get anyone excited -- Silva included?

Link
higdon10
10/24/08 2:41:29AM
I would say a rematch with Hendo for the MW title. But that would leave a big gap in between fights for Silva. Maybe Marquardt
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/24/08 2:50:17AM
i wanna see a GSP fight if Georges gets through BJ

why not?
no one in MW is worthy except okami & no casual mma fan really cares if he gets one any time soon bc the casual mma fan doesnt know who okami is

if gsp beats bj, the winner of koscheck vs alves can hold #1 contender status & wait until gsp vs silva is over

silva wants to fight quickly & gsp never seems to take too long of breaks in between fights so if this worked out, i could see them fighting before ufc 100
mrsmiley
10/24/08 6:31:04AM
Anderson has got quiet a few options.
He could take on Bisping,which I would actualy love to see.
He could take on GSP at catch weight.
Or he he could go to the LHW division for good.
Their's a gallery of competition at LHW.
Drudinh
10/24/08 6:54:50AM
DUDE! LINK IS ON THE MONEY THAT UFC FANS ARE ANTI-LE. I LIKE HIS STYLE OF STANDUP AND THINK IT IS TOTALLY SOMETHING THAT ANDERSON WOULD HAVE TO ADAPT TO. ANYTIME I MENTION IT THOUGH PEOPLE LOOK AT ME AS A NUTHUGGER, AND BRING UP BJJ AS THE REASON THIS FIGHT WOULDN'T LAST. IMO IT WOULD BE AN INTERESTING FIGHT THAT I HAVE WANTED TO SEE SINCE LE VS FRYKLUND.
rabbit915
10/24/08 8:53:21AM
I think if Maia wins another fight he provides a really interesting challenge to Anderson Silva or at least something he hasnt faced yet in the UFC.

Silva really hasnt fought a top level submission guy. Yeah he fought Travis Lutter but Maia is on a whole different level. Im not saying Maia would win but i think that this is a fight that silva needs to have. To win Silva would either have to actually use wrestling to keep it on the feet or win a ground battle with a world class BJJ guy. Either one would show a new facet to his game and would reveal even more of his greatness.

Maia might not be quite built up enough for a title shot yet but the UFC should start marketing the crap out of him.
Branwest
10/24/08 3:15:06PM
First off, the fight with GSP would probably be at 185, not a catchweight.

Also, after Cote, Silva has only 5 fights left on his contract before he retires. Dana and Joe Silva will plan those fights carefully.

If GSP beats BJ, and Silva beats Cote, then Silva/GSP will fight, probably at UFC 100. If Silva wins, according to Dana, then he'll probably go back to LHW, and will get a title shot after maybe 2 more wins. He'll probably only defend the MW title a couple more times before he retires. The rest of the fights will probably be at 205 unless he loses his first fight back at 205. Then he'll probably stay at 185.