MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » A. Silva vs G. St. Pierre
POLL: What weight should they fight at?
170lbs. 0% (0)
175lbs. 19% (5)
180lbs. 35% (9)
185lbs. 46% (12)
Michael_Corleone
5/6/11 12:42:14AM
If they ever actually green light this fight.
Pookie
5/6/11 2:15:41AM
Whatever weight they could actually get GSP to take the fight at.

- I dont think there's a weight that the fight "should" take place at. But it does change the meaning of the fight depending on the weight.

At 185 - Gsp has the most upside if he win's at this weight. He will undoubtedly go down as the best fighter the UFC has ever had if he wins at 185. It is, however, the quite likely that GSP loses the fight overwhelmingly. Super High risk - The Highest reward imaginable.

At 170 - Gsp has much less upside at this weight. The weight cut is significant for Anderson and would no doubt cause the fight carry much less meaning. His victory would always be marred with "What if's" about his skills. I feel at this weight that his Win carries the least amount of winning. I still think Gsp loses the fight at this weight, and a loss in his own division would do the most damage to his legacy. Medium risk(relative to fighting anderson silva lol) - Low reward.

At catchweight - Somewhere in the middle of the two. High risk, High reward.

If i was in Georges' position i would honestly take it at 185. The difference between Anderson at 177 and 185 is probably no difference at all, based on the fact that he's weighed in at 181 in a recent fight and showed no visible hindrances because of it. You might as well go for the title of The Best when you're taking this fight. And at 170 i think it does very little help to establish that title for Georges legacy, while still being a very dangerous fight for him.

I think the safer the fight is for him, the less it can help him. None of this matters though, because any which way the fight happens Georges is getting knocked out in the first round due to his style of stand-up.
State_Champ
5/6/11 7:54:37AM
If it has to be @ a catch-weight then I think it should be Spider Silva vs GSP @ 177.
But honestly, I am beginning to think that GSP's most intriguing fights are @ 185lbs. I am warming to the idea that GSP ought to just move up in weight.
From my perspective as a fan of exciting fights, GSP doesn't really seem to have many challenges left @ 170.
Hendo67
5/6/11 12:59:04PM
I'm really growing tired of these Anderson/GSP fight thoughts. If i had a dollar for everytime i discussed this i'd make trump look like a hobo.

Not to sound like a d-bag or anything, but lord...

Answer: 185, or 182...

Anderson via KO to sum it up quickly.
Cooler
5/6/11 2:20:45PM
I've wanted GSP vs Anderson for years. I will be sour grapes until it happenes. I think Georges doesnt want to hold two belts simultaneously or for whatever reason is content at WW which is ok, but not common among former and current champions ..... Vitor Belfort wanted HW, LHW and MW belts, Randy Couture wanted LHW and HW gold until he retired, BJ Penn wants to hold LW and WW belts again, Jon Jones wants to hold the HW belt, Jose Aldo wants to hold LW and WW belts, Anderson Silva would probably get a LHW or WW title shot if he wanted, Rich Franklin wanted MW and LHW belts, Matt Serra wanted LW and WW belts, Jens Pulver wanted LW and FW belts and Dominick Cruz wanted FW and BW belts
ajp10k
5/6/11 5:11:15PM
The reason this fight should be at 185 is because people think GSP has nothing to prove at 170.
mkiv9secsupra
5/7/11 12:44:15AM
It doesnt matter what weight this fight takes place at. I believed for a long time GSP didnt even stand a puncher's chance but after recent performances i dont believe Silva has a chance. Even at 185 I still believe GSP has the strength advantage and the overall advantage....GSP ftw
Kastro
5/7/11 5:47:18AM
I think GSP would be able to get an easy decision win over Anderson Silva.. Silva takes all kinds of chances and has displayed zero takedown defence ability, GSP on the other hand takes very little chances and is a master of taking people to the ground even opponents who are much bigger than him (Thiago Alves, Matt Hughes, it was said that GSP takes down Rashad Evans during training with Greg Jackson)..

Its still quite a dangerous fight for GSP (or anyone else who fights Silva for that matter) but I see the likely outcome of this match a victory for GSP.. would love to see it happen and it would be one of the most anticipated fights to date in MMA history!
prozacnation1978
5/7/11 1:57:53PM
If u think gsp can move up a weight class and beat a silva
Your crazy!!!!!

Silva would outstrike gsp
Gsp jabs would not do damage to him
And silva would eventually beat him by tko
Taylor8766
5/7/11 4:00:10PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Your crazy!!!!!

that might be true but do you honestly think gsp will try and trade with silva, he might for a bit but he would implement the same gameplan as chael sonnen did take him down and gnp him and posiibly work for a decision,.
mkiv9secsupra
5/7/11 8:44:48PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Your crazy!!!!!

you honestly believe anderson has the ability to sprawl? Among his elite abilities, stopping a takedown seems to be an area of concern he is never going to address. GSP is statistically the best wrestler in the ufc... The fight will go to the ground regardless if anderson outstrikes him. Landing 5-10 punches a round before getting taken down and controlled wont win the fight
Pookie
5/8/11 3:24:01AM
You all are ignoring Anderson's mobility and footwork, and how that does in fact improve your overall ability to not get taken down. Gsp normally shoots on fighters trying to collapse the pocket on him. He's never once had to fight an opponent with a larger reach than him, and i think thats really going to hurt his wrestling since hes not fighting someone who has to get inside on him.

Plus the way that Gsp jabs on the feet, how he crouches real low and bursts forward, i think that totally opens him up to Andersons kicks up the middle.

Also, Gsp has shown that against bigger opponents that he has difficulty mounting effective offense on the ground, instead choosing to focus on maintaining position.

My thoughts , bet its more one-sided than most of you think.
State_Champ
5/8/11 9:36:54AM

Posted by Pookie

You all are ignoring Anderson's mobility and footwork, and how that does in fact improve your overall ability to not get taken down. Gsp normally shoots on fighters trying to collapse the pocket on him. He's never once had to fight an opponent with a larger reach than him, and i think thats really going to hurt his wrestling since hes not fighting someone who has to get inside on him.

Plus the way that Gsp jabs on the feet, how he crouches real low and bursts forward, i think that totally opens him up to Andersons kicks up the middle.

Also, Gsp has shown that against bigger opponents that he has difficulty mounting effective offense on the ground, instead choosing to focus on maintaining position.

You say: " He's never once had to fight an opponent with a larger reach than him..."
I ask: Is their reach really that different?

You say: "Also, Gsp has shown that against bigger opponents that he has difficulty mounting effective offense on the ground, instead choosing to focus on maintaining position"
I say: This is how GSP wins a UD

Also, I believe that kicking a GSP who wants to take you down (as I assume GSP would try to do to Anderson) is one very quick way to get taken down by Georges.

All that said, I will cheer for Anderson Silva if this fight ever happens.
Pookie
5/8/11 9:15:45PM

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by Pookie

You say: " He's never once had to fight an opponent with a larger reach than him..."
I ask: Is their reach really that different?

You say: "Also, Gsp has shown that against bigger opponents that he has difficulty mounting effective offense on the ground, instead choosing to focus on maintaining position"
I say: This is how GSP wins a UD

Also, I believe that kicking a GSP who wants to take you down (as I assume GSP would try to do to Anderson) is one very quick way to get taken down by Georges.

All that said, I will cheer for Anderson Silva if this fight ever happens.

"Is their reach really that different?" Nope not at all, but it is significant when you cross-analyze their styles. Gsp has never had to fight on the outside of somebody elses range, nonetheless one of the most accurate punchers in the sport.

"I believe that kicking a GSP who wants to take you down (as I assume GSP would try to do to Anderson) is one very quick way to get taken down by Georges." Very true, but if Gsp fights with his usual form and dips on his jabs, im positive he's going to get hit with the kick. He bursts in at a measured range, but he's in range of the kick even before he bursts, meaning his Jab and standup game in general is at risk to a counter even before he attacks.

Gsp is too small, and he has the wrong style to win. His skill, p4p, is probably equal... but he is not winning this match.