Silva vs Nate "The Great"

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Silva vs Nate "The Great"
johny_rotten
3/14/07 8:22:40PM
In a recent interview with fox sports Dana announced that Nate was Anderson's next opponent. despite what took place after Franklin won at UFC 68. I am surprised no one is talking about this.

Anderson has never squared off against anyone with the wrestling skill, and ground game that Nate brings to the table. Nate has never faced a striker half as menacing as Silva.

Due to my bias for Anderson I have to pick him, but this fight is very close. What does everyone else think?
Momentosis
3/14/07 9:34:36PM
This event will be held in Brasil.

I think Marquardt has a very good chance but would like to see Silva keep the belt.
Stickan
3/14/07 9:43:27PM
I think Nate will take it by TKO late in 3rd or 4th. He's athletic as hell and always seem to have a good gameplan. Greg Jackson is a great coach and I'm sure they'll figure out some way to beat Silva.

It's gonna be a war though.
hippysmacker
3/14/07 10:03:31PM
Could go either way. I think the Sitckan's point about being a part of Jackson's camp is a valid one. I'll still take Silva by late KO though.
Trapt1nw0nder
3/14/07 10:05:54PM
i really wanna see the Rich/Silva rematch so i really hope Silva takes it.

Silva has proved to be very well rounded,so i also think he will take it especially in a 5 round fight
johny_rotten
3/14/07 10:35:16PM

Posted by Stickan

I think Nate will take it by TKO late in 3rd or 4th. He's athletic as hell and always seem to have a good gameplan. Greg Jackson is a great coach and I'm sure they'll figure out some way to beat Silva.

Wow I can't beleave you are giving Nate the advantage due to his team. Anderson has trained with BTT, Chute Box, and now the dream team. Nate may win, but it won't be because of his coach.
hippysmacker
3/14/07 10:37:12PM
Black house seemsto be a great team it true, but I think Jackson does a really good job of gameplanning.
Gladiator
3/14/07 10:46:17PM

Posted by johny_rotten

Posted by Stickan

Wow I can't beleave you are giving Nate the advantage due to his team. Anderson has trained with BTT, Chute Box, and now the dream team. Nate may win, but it won't be because of his coach.

i would give nate the advantage too, not just because of his team though which is still a huge part of it. but i think marquart will be the first to come in with the right gameplan and execute it well, which is take silva down and dominate. rich and leben stood with silva too long and got KOed and lutter had the right idea but didnt look so good health wise coming in and hes not near as well-rounded as marquart. training with jacksons camp is a huge advantage because of all the talent there and because they do work hard to come up with great gameplans. i think nate will be able to avoid the knockout and secure a takedown in every round and will either win by decision or tko by ground n pound.
tepid55
3/14/07 10:47:08PM
It could go either way. If Marquardt wins, it will be by decision.
Stickan
3/14/07 10:47:53PM

Posted by johny_rotten

Posted by Stickan

Yeah you're right, it probably sounded like I was giving him the advantage because of his camp but that's probably just me trying to renew myself . I've talked about Nate a lot in other threads and what I think his abilities are and that I think he can beat Anderson so I guess in my mind there was no need for repeating myself.
Now over the past few days I've read and heard a lot about gameplanning and it's importance and seeing Jacksons guys execute their gameplans it only gave me another reason to believe he will win this fight.
I think he's got all the tools to beat Anderson and the gameplanning aspect is just a bonus.

Thanks for refreshing my mind a little bit. It's probably time to call it the night for me now ...
johny_rotten
3/14/07 11:17:22PM
I am sorry. I am new here, and should be nice, but are we really comparing training with Jardine, Sanchez, and Greg Jackson to training with BTT, Chute Box, and The Muay-Thai Dream team? Anderson has trained with world champions before this team even existed. Nate has a good chance due to his great stamina, awesome ground control, and well tooled striking game. These traits were formed way before joining his current team. I would even say his current team may hurt him in this fight. No one in New Mexico has striking like Anderson.

My pick is Anderson by KO in the 4th or 5th. I expect Nate to control the first couple rounds, but he doesn't have a great record of finishing. Anderson plays possum, and explodes when Nate tires.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/15/07 4:45:59PM

Posted by johny_rotten

I am sorry. I am new here, and should be nice, but are we really comparing training with Jardine, Sanchez, and Greg Jackson to training with BTT, Chute Box, and The Muay-Thai Dream team? Anderson has trained with world champions before this team even existed. Nate has a good chance due to his great stamina, awesome ground control, and well tooled striking game. These traits were formed way before joining his current team. I would even say his current team may hurt him in this fight. No one in New Mexico has striking like Anderson.

My pick is Anderson by KO in the 4th or 5th. I expect Nate to control the first couple rounds, but he doesn't have a great record of finishing. Anderson plays possum, and explodes when Nate tires.

Anderson's groundgame is REALLY suspect IMO. Chonin isnt a great wrestler at all and owned Anderson both standing and on the ground. Lutter got full mount and could have finished the bout had he of been smarter. I think anyone who wants to employ a smart/boring gameplan of Lay-and-pray can beat the spider.
BloodandTears
3/15/07 5:05:02PM
I agree that spiders ground game is suspect. I see someone with a strong ground game winning him!
Stickan
3/15/07 5:13:12PM
Chonan didn't own Silva in any aspect except for leg-kicks. It was a pretty close fight up until the finish.

I think it's a case of Silva being a little too confident fighting from his back that he doesn't resist the takedown as much as he should. It's probably what Josh Gross would refer to as the Din Thomas syndrome. Din Thomas had a great career but somewhere along the way he got too confident in his BJJ from his guard and stopped sprawling as hard as he used to. He's on his way back to his old self again though now, sprawling and resisting takedowns.

I think Silva should be careful because some day someone who can really punish you on top comes along and knocks him out. I think Nate might just be that guy.
Mastodon2
3/15/07 5:16:18PM
I think Nate has a good chance here. If he can catch one of Silvas long, gangly legs and get a single or a double leg takedown, and control him on the ground then he might edge a win here.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/15/07 6:24:30PM

Posted by Stickan

Chonan didn't own Silva in any aspect except for leg-kicks. It was a pretty close fight up until the finish.

I think it's a case of Silva being a little too confident fighting from his back that he doesn't resist the takedown as much as he should. It's probably what Josh Gross would refer to as the Din Thomas syndrome. Din Thomas had a great career but somewhere along the way he got too confident in his BJJ from his guard and stopped sprawling as hard as he used to. He's on his way back to his old self again though now, sprawling and resisting takedowns.

I think Silva should be careful because some day someone who can really punish you on top comes along and knocks him out. I think Nate might just be that guy.

My mistake. Chonin didnt own Anderson, but the way the fight was going Chonin would have won via U/D.
johny_rotten
3/15/07 6:50:29PM

Posted by Stickan

Kudos to you my friend!!! I have talked to many people about that fight, and no one else actually remembered anything other than the crazy submission. Anderson was getting owned with leg kicks. At the beginning of the fight he was actually pulling guard, and was close to two triangles from his back.

If your an opponent of the Spider that is a horrible time to put together a game plan with. When he was with BTT he was to confident in his ground game, and got away from what he does best. KO people obviously.

I think Nate's control on the ground will be a huge factor, and could win him a 5 round nod. On the other hand I don't see Nate finishing Anderson. 25 mins is a long time to avoid everything Anderson brings to the table. He has shown how crafty he is from the bottom many times. It may only take one good shot in those 25 mins to allow him to keep his title.
wkm311
3/15/07 7:04:31PM
This is a dangerous fight for Silva. His TD isnt all that great, infact its not very good at all. But I think JJ is pretty solid, so the only way I see Marquardt winning is by desicion or perhaps TKO via GnP. Personally, I think Silva will pick him apart...
kerazzle
3/16/07 2:05:32AM
nate via sub