Silva: Machida "Runs More Than He Fights"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Silva: Machida "Runs More Than He Fights"
DCRage
12/8/08 10:45:10AM
Thiago Silva-who is certainly not short on confidence-is already beating his war drum several weeks out from his clash with fellow unbeaten light heavyweight Lyoto Machida at UFC 94. Perhaps it’s part of his pre-fight plan to rattle the cage of the “ghostly” Brazilian and get him to engage more often on fight night.

Article
sparky
12/8/08 10:55:57AM
This article is exactly what ive been talking about. Even opponents of machida believe he runs more then he fights. How can he be an exciting fighter when people hes going to face are already predicting a boring match!!!! Thiago Silva isnt the only fighter to state this about Machida neither. Its like an ongoing thing more fighters are saying the same thing about him. No disrespect but If it wasnt true there wouldnt be tons of top notch opponents all saying the same thing.
gartface
12/8/08 10:58:59AM

Posted by sparky

This article is exactly what ive been talking about. Even opponents of machida believe he runs more then he fights. How can he be an exciting fighter when people hes going to face are already predicting a boring match!!!! Thiago Silva isnt the only fighter to state this about Machida neither. Its like an ongoing thing more fighters are saying the same thing about him. No disrespect but If it wasnt true there wouldnt be tons of top notch opponents all saying the same thing.

I enjoy watching Machida fight. His opponents are mad because he's so elusive that they can't hit him. It's nothing but frustration. What Kalib Starnes did was running, what Machida does is evading.

Silva is going to run his mouth right into the ground, and he'll take a dirt nap against Machida.
Twenty20Dollars
12/8/08 11:24:03AM
See and people were giving me mass shit for saying crap about Machida when the guys in UFC LHW are saying the same things I did.

I like fighters like Thiago because he brings to the fight to you and fights aggressive. I think Thiago pressures machida and machida gets tko'd late in the first or middle of the second. Also I think thiago should work in the clinch too, he should do well in the clinch.
grappler0000
12/8/08 11:25:34AM

Posted by sparky

Silva's obviously trying to get in his head. I have a feeling his post-fight opinion will be different. The only fighters I've heard complain about him running are people who haven't fought him yet...and Tito.
Ordep
12/8/08 12:28:23PM
I never talked bad about Machida's style, the only thing is to the not so "into-it" fans, hell be a difficult fighter to sell. But I really like to hear this from Thiago cuz' it means he's getting ready for the elusive style. I hope he doesn't get frustrated and start making mistake like all the other Machida opponents.
Wolfenstein
12/8/08 1:01:25PM
It feels lke Thiago is trying to start some psychological warfare in an attempt to goad Machida into a slugfest...which won't happen.

Thiago should realize relatively early in their fight, just why people stop coming forward against Machida, and kind of get to a particular distance and stay their. One is because they're punching nothing but air, and two is because Machida lights his opponents up with a left straight when they come forward aggressively and wrecklessly. Although Machida doesn't have devestating power, it doesn't take muc of a punch to KO someone coming forward if you throw a straight on the button.
Manfred
12/8/08 1:49:07PM
It's just a quote from a much longer interview on SHERDOG

I think his just trying to get in his head. I'm rooting for him but I'm seeing another UD win in Machida's future
Pyrenus
12/8/08 1:57:16PM
If his opponents are getting antsy and upset before the fight even starts, then its nothing but good for Machida.

He let's his game do all the pre-fight talking for him.

PS. It should be easy to beat a guy who "runs" from you, right?
TheNatural915
12/8/08 2:04:55PM
It's a good strategy, Machida wins fights, he dominated Ortiz that way
crushedbacon
12/8/08 2:25:32PM
Hopefully Silva turns this into a 'fight' and doesn't allow Machida to dance all over the octagon. I would like to see him close off the octagon and make Machida fight him in a phone booth so to speak. Silva can do this.
gartface
12/8/08 2:38:35PM

Posted by crushedbacon Hopefully Silva turns this into a 'fight' and doesn't allow Machida to dance all over the octagon. I would like to see him close off the octagon and make Machida fight him in a phone booth so to speak. Silva can do this.
Not sure anyone in the light heavyweight division can close the cage off for Machida. His movement is unmatched imo.
dannyfrank
12/8/08 4:12:17PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by sparky

I enjoy watching Machida fight. His opponents are mad because he's so elusive that they can't hit him. It's nothing but frustration. What Kalib Starnes did was running, what Machida does is evading.

Silva is going to run his mouth right into the ground, and he'll take a dirt nap against Machida.

Pookie
12/8/08 5:00:17PM
Silva's footwork and mobility arent up to par to keep it close IMO.
JimiMak
12/8/08 5:03:17PM
LO fn L at anyone who thinks his smack talking is "proof" that their op is right (doesn't everyone realize an op isn't ever right or wrong, apparantly not)

I'm gonna think it's funny when Machida beats the hell out of Thiago for as long as he feels like. What's Thiago gonna say after getting ko'd or tapped or 10-8ed on judges cards?

I'm gonna laugh so hard, I hope he cries.
JackHammerXXX
12/8/08 5:03:30PM
Silva is a definite favorite of mine. Nothing better than a guy who goes in to "FINISH" a fight!
With that said...Machida is a points fighter. No, he doesn't run, he 'evades' yes, yes I know. That's fine with me. Makes for interesting matchups, and future intrigue towards who will beat his style. But, I have more respect for fighters who don't sidestep away from the engaging moments of the fight their in, or push their opponent away everytime they are close, BUT HEY, I DON'T LIKE BORING CLINCHEFESTS EITHER!!!
My pick, surprisingly is a Machida 3rd round TKO. HaHa, I know you think I'm crazy, esp. after reading above. Truth is, is that I think Lyoto is going in to send a message. He may not drastically alter his style, but I believe he will frustrate Thiago. And the third round part is because Silva is tough, he will not be easy. Machida will wear him down, mentally and physically until late in the fight, I see Lyoto rocking, and pounding the undefeated killer that is Thiago Silva out.

Don't cream yourself though, if my boy Thiago comes out with a KO or Sub, It is hard to count a guy like him out of any fight. 55/45 Machida for me
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
12/8/08 10:47:06PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

See and people were giving me mass shit for saying crap about Machida when the guys in UFC LHW are saying the same things I did.

I like fighters like Thiago because he brings to the fight to you and fights aggressive. I think Thiago pressures machida and machida gets tko'd late in the first or middle of the second. Also I think thiago should work in the clinch too, he should do well in the clinch.

AV BET LETS DO THIS!!
JimiMak
12/9/08 5:25:03PM
I always laugh when ppl say they don't like him "cuz he doesn't engage" He engages plenty, he just rarely gets hit. Is he supposed to stand there and let ppl hit him?
jiujitsufreak74
12/9/08 7:45:18PM
Machida RD2 KO. Thiago is going to realize that he is not in Machida's league and when he comes out aggressive against Lyoto he will learn how counter fighters work; the harder you push, the harder they push back.
runningman08
6/21/09 10:30:06PM
I really like to watch Machida fight. Hes a smart fighter. Its not all about going out there and swinging.