Silva Decision 3% (1)
Machida Decision 40% (12)
Silva KO 40% (12)
Machida Ko 3% (1)
Silva Submission 7% (2)
Machida Submission 7% (2)
Pitbull09
6/18/08 9:54:32PM
Thought this would be a more interesting match up then Irvin. How do you think it would go. Do you guys think Machida could land strikes and back out sucessfully. Would it frustrate Silva? I don't see either guy going for takedowns (even though I think Silva would submit him there.)

So who do you pick in a 3 round bout between Machida and Silva in the LHW division
Also, if Machida dropped, how do you think it would go in a 5 round MW fight.
Pookie
6/18/08 10:41:05PM
I believe Silva's style would cause problems for Machida. His strikes are just as fast and accurate but pack way more power. Machida is fighting someone who can hit him for once.
Twenty20Dollars
6/18/08 11:10:21PM
Silva i think could pick him apart fast or slow at silva's pace. in and out and work the clinch to a ko or tko.
jimmypockets
6/18/08 11:24:14PM
Machida in my opinion would dismantle Silva. I think he may not have the power but his evasive style is among the best I have ever got to watch. I think Machida is the stronger fighter and could put Silva on his back and control him there.

I am interested to see where Silva is going to fall in everyones rankings if/when he loses to James Irvin.
xposipx
6/19/08 12:51:48AM
Machida easily. The guy above me said it perfectly.
ChokeUout
6/19/08 2:01:35AM
This fight will never happen. Machida and Silva are training partners, and I doubt they'd ever fight.

But if they did, I think it'd take a world class striker who is just as intelligent as Machida to beat him, and Silva fits that bill perfectly. Silva's my favorite fighter, so I may be biased, but i think he'd win.
balack_o-bama
6/19/08 3:03:52AM
They are training partners and in different weight classes so i highly doubt this would happen. BUuuuuuuuuuuuut......... If it did it would be a great match up. I think silva is technical enough and quick enough to hit the elusive machida (more than once with out getting counter punched twice like everyone else) Machida is probally stronger but henderson is very strong and silva held him against him the whole first round.

Final Verdict:

Machida makes the mistake of trying to throw knees at Silva. The clinch comes into play. "When your caught in the web, is when the Spider comes out"

SIlva by KO
NatedawgThaM
6/19/08 3:18:06AM

Posted by Pookie

I believe Silva's style would cause problems for Machida. His strikes are just as fast and accurate but pack way more power. Machida is fighting someone who can hit him for once.

Both are frustrating fighters to fight. Machida's not fighting Chuck, Wandy, or any other sloppy striker who can easily pick apart on the feet with technique. Like I said in the "Mahoef vs Silva" thread in the other organizations forum. Anderson reminds me of Bernard Hopkins as he gets off to a slow start to figure you out and get your timing down and then he turns it up after he has that figured out and then just wrecks you with a great combination of speed, power, and ring savvy. While Machida reminds me of the boxer Winky Wright as he's so elusive and his defense is so hard to figure out. Both are defensive minded and I think the same thing will thing happen that happened in the Hopkins-Winky fight.

Anderson will use his size and reach like Hopkins did and be more aggressive with the jab to find openings since both will need to work for openings and in a 3 round fight, I think Anderson would out work Machida in a decision win but in a 5 round fight, I'd take Silva by late stoppage.
RMFG_187
6/19/08 5:20:06AM
i would bet heavy money on Machida. being that Machida is a big and strong LHW, if this were at a catchweight, Machida would DOM the clinch and have good TDD. A Silva wouldn't even stand a chance. Machida after a boring 5 round Decision 50-45.
teddythetuna
6/19/08 11:44:52AM
It would be a split decision. i just cant decide who for
gsquat
6/20/08 2:33:19PM
No way anyone beats Machida right now. Not even sure what kind of style would beat him. Everything just seems to play into his advantage.
DevonFoxy
6/20/08 2:56:15PM

Posted by jimmypockets

Machida in my opinion would dismantle Silva. I think he may not have the power but his evasive style is among the best I have ever got to watch. I think Machida is the stronger fighter and could put Silva on his back and control him there.

I am interested to see where Silva is going to fall in everyones rankings if/when he loses to James Irvin.

If Tito can almost submit you Silva can def. submit you. So I don't think Machida wants to go there.

With that said I think Machida would out point Silva but it could go either way if Silva gets him in the clinch Machida could be in a lot of trouble but I think he'd hit and run a lot and pick his shots.I'd go with Machida by UD but wouldn't be surprised at all to see Anderson win by submission or TKO.
Pookie
6/20/08 2:59:57PM
Another thing to consider, since these guys train together they do know the weaknesses in the others game plan better than anyone else in mma can.

mkiv9secsupra
6/20/08 3:07:55PM
Anderson would control Machida anywhere the fight goes. Anderson would be able to use his jab to keep up with Lyoto's stick and run technique on the feet and Silva has shown dominance on the ground so far in the UFC. Lyotos chance is a punchers chance in this match. Silva via 2nd TKO
Pookie
6/20/08 4:28:02PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Anderson would control Machida anywhere the fight goes. Anderson would be able to use his jab to keep up with Lyoto's stick and run technique on the feet and Silva has shown dominance on the ground so far in the UFC. Lyotos chance is a punchers chance in this match. Silva via 2nd TKO

i would say a kickers a chance or a knee'ers punch since since he can throw those quite hard while his punches he doesnt really.