Silva injured, withdraws from machida bout

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Silva injured, withdraws from machida bout
Next Page »
haggiswashere
9/5/08 2:36:35PM
Undefeated light heavyweight Thiago Silva (Pictures) has withdrawn from his Oct. 18 co-headlining bout against Lyoto Machida (Pictures) at UFC 89 “Bisping vs. Leben” in Birmingham, England.

An American Top Team representative confirmed a report from intheguard.tv, which said Silva sustained a back injury in training. The rep said the decision was made Thursday to pull the dynamic Brazilian striker from the card, and that Silva is expected to be back in play by December.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/injured-silva-withdraws-from-ufc-89-14296

cowcatcher
9/5/08 2:37:42PM
more disappointing news, lets hope they find a suitable replacement. the injury bug seems to be spreading all of a sudden.
clintjack
9/5/08 2:41:16PM
Yeah lets hope they put Wanderlei or Shogun in there.
crushedbacon
9/5/08 2:44:41PM
NO!!!!!!!!.......Brutal this fight is holding that card together in my mind.
crushedbacon
9/5/08 2:45:25PM
NO!!!!!!!!.......Brutal this fight is holding that card together in my mind.
nastshabast
9/5/08 2:46:40PM
shitty.
haggiswashere
9/5/08 2:47:45PM

Posted by clintjack

Shogun vs Machida would be sweet
Ben_Hutch
9/5/08 2:48:14PM
Always happens on the f*cking UK cards
kaduey
9/5/08 2:48:49PM
Silva is just scared.
Jackelope
9/5/08 2:52:33PM
Son of a bitch.. this would have answered a lot of questions about both fighters. I was stoked when I saw this fight, too
Bowen50
9/5/08 2:54:51PM
this is a shame. this would have been an outstanding fight. hopefully they get Wanderlei in there to replace Thiago but i dobut it's going to happen. Machida will probably end up fighting Reese Andy, possibly Tim Boestch should he go unscaved against Patt.
Mchubb316
9/5/08 3:23:58PM
Wand or Shogun would be great, but I don't think they will use them against Machida on such short notice. I wouldn't mind postponing Machida's next fight until they can get a top level replacement. They might as well give him his due, and replace T. Silva with Forrest and give him his title shot. Do the right thing Dana and give the man his shot.
CantAndleDaRiddum
9/5/08 3:42:36PM
damnit!
Twenty20Dollars
9/5/08 3:52:55PM
have machida face wandy at ufc 92
motorboatensob
9/5/08 3:54:09PM
Good that will give them someone for Wandy to fight in Dec. I think he is a good match up for Machida he will press him and put him to sleep.
kasual
9/5/08 3:56:02PM
Well, ****. Probably the most entertaining fight of the night. I mean for most fight fans that was probably the main event over this Bisping / Leben tilt. Good luck finding someone who is healthy AND wants to fight Lyoto. I'm sure someone will enter the cage with Lyoto I just can't imagine who would have the stature to make this fight anything more than a lopsided affair. I dream of it being Shogun or Wandy but I don't see the UFC blowing their healthy Shogun wad on this, a loss for him here would really devalue him as a marketable commodity and with his performance against Griffin and I'm sure considerable ring rust that is a distinct possibility. How about Quinton ... Figure he has to beat a legitimate contender to get back into this thing and they don't get more legit than Lyoto right now, might as well get it over with. A win against a healthy Lyoto would show more than a victory against an untested Shogun, if they wanted to still pursue that angle.
PaleHorse
9/5/08 4:14:32PM

Posted by haggiswashere

Undefeated light heavyweight Thiago Silva (Pictures) has withdrawn from his Oct. 18 co-headlining bout against Lyoto Machida (Pictures) at UFC 89 “Bisping vs. Leben” in Birmingham, England.

An American Top Team representative confirmed a report from intheguard.tv, which said Silva sustained a back injury in training. The rep said the decision was made Thursday to pull the dynamic Brazilian striker from the card, and that Silva is expected to be back in play by December.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/injured-silva-withdraws-from-ufc-89-14296

Already posted.
oleg
9/5/08 4:42:01PM
d'oh!
ziegler3334
9/5/08 5:09:52PM
This is a shame. My guess is that lyoto will stay on the card and fight someone much weaker who's just thrown in their lose, saving machida's marketability until a bigger fight. I hate seeing fights where it seems like it was set up for one person to further their career, not actually have a competitive fight. (ex. Vera v Andy)
CwB
9/5/08 6:08:33PM
although i really wanted to see this fight it may not be that bad of news depending on the match making that follows...

here is how hope it plays out

i would love to see machida fight wandy but i dont like having machida wait an extra two months to fight, i would rather see him fight at ufc 91 against shogun

which leaves rampage and wandy available to fight at ufc 92

an depending on how long thiago's injury sidelines him maybe he could fight winner/loser of one of these fights or chuck/evans loser

Stills79
9/5/08 6:10:50PM

Posted by motorboatensob

Good that will give them someone for Wandy to fight in Dec. I think he is a good match up for Machida he will press him and put him to sleep.

Wandy will put him to sleep if he can catch him. Machida would be a staple for red cards if he was fighting in Pride.
loller90278
9/5/08 6:26:50PM
i think they should give machida tomazs drawl. hes a polish wrestler with good stand up. watch his fight with silva!

postman
9/5/08 6:36:18PM

Posted by Stills79

Posted by motorboatensob

Wandy will put him to sleep if he can catch him. Machida would be a staple for red cards if he was fighting in Pride.

Machida press Wandy don't see that happening. I say lets fire up the LHW title and get Griffen back in the cage. I know I know Chuck and Evans who cares they will get their shot. If not Griffen then There are alot of guys for him to fight Shogun, Wandy, Page. Any of the top guys I want to see him fight a top guy.
prozacnation1978
9/5/08 7:52:01PM
i will be surprised if machida still fight on this card
even with out the bout they still have 11 fights
they will move machida to nov have him fight rampage or
have him fight on dec card when silva gets back
then move wandy vs rampage to nov with silva vs machida back on in dec
StorminYourman
9/5/08 9:16:30PM

Posted by clintjack

Rampage would also be a good replacement too.

Winner of this fight should get a title shot if not given to winner of Chuck vs Rashad
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
9/5/08 10:10:13PM
How bout if Franklin rolls through Hamill-
A FRANKLIN-MACHIDA REMATCH AT 205 HUH, HUH
I like this idea
Wolfenstein
9/5/08 10:22:43PM
Crap, he was just aboutthe only guy willing to fight Machida. Hopefully Wanderlei will be willing to step up. I pray the upcoming cards aren't going to start getting a case of the injury bug.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
9/6/08 12:24:42AM
another one ducks machida. some 1 give him the LHW belt!
haggiswashere
9/6/08 4:55:21AM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

another one ducks machida. some 1 give him the LHW belt!

Thiago wouldn't duck him. He has too much to gain from the fight.
MMAcca
9/6/08 7:40:56AM
NOOOO!!!! Been looking forward to this for ages!

Posted by Mchubb316

Wand or Shogun would be great, but I don't think they will use them against Machida on such short notice. I wouldn't mind postponing Machida's next fight until they can get a top level replacement. They might as well give him his due, and replace T. Silva with Forrest and give him his title shot. Do the right thing Dana and give the man his shot.

Pages: [1] 2