Silva, Henderson and Leben Earn “Fight Night” Bonuses

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Silva, Henderson and Leben Earn “Fight Night” Bonuses
SmileR
3/2/08 8:49:32AM
Anderson Silva earned $120,000 in “fight night” bonuses in the wake of his second-round submission victory over Dan Henderson on Saturday.

The fight capped off UFC 82, which took place at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio.

Silva earned $60,000 for Fight of the Night (Henderson also picked up a $60,000 bonus) and $60,000 for Submission of the Night. Chris Leben, meanwhile, earned a $60,000 Knockout of the Night bonus for his first-round TKO of Alessio Sakara.

Both fights took place on the night’s televised main card.

UFC president Dana White released the bonus winners and amounts in a post-event press conference. MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) confirmed the amounts with the Dayton Daily News.

Silva defended his UFC middleweight title by securing a second-round rear-naked choke of Henderson, PRIDE’s reigning 183-lb. The victory was Silva’s first career submission victory that didn’t come via strikes.

Silva joins just a handful of fighters, including Marcus Davis and John Koppenhaver, who have picked up two “fight night” bonuses in one event.

Link
grappler0000
3/2/08 9:21:28AM
I think it's awesome that the bonuses keep increasing.
D0wnUnd6e6r
3/2/08 10:51:13AM
ok silva picked up 120,000$ in bonuses... why did hendo make 60,000$ (in bonuses) exactly?
grappler0000
3/2/08 10:56:10AM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

ok silva picked up 120,000$ in bonuses... why did hendo make 60,000$ (in bonuses) exactly?

Silva/Hendo was Fight of the Night...both the winner and loser of the FotN get 60k.
D0wnUnd6e6r
3/2/08 11:00:15AM
ahhhh yes, brain fart on my part
Ordep
3/2/08 11:23:10AM

IMO- Okami deserved the KO bonus, not Leben
juanez13
3/2/08 11:46:21AM

Posted by Ordep

I'll second that.
wapttn
3/2/08 11:57:21AM

Posted by Ordep

really...? it was a great knee, so maybe the actual KO was nicer, but i've always gotten the feeling that KO of the night usually includes the exchanges right before the KO, in which case I would certainly take Leben's KO over okami's... actually, i'd take Koscheck's KO over okami's as well.. on any given night, I think that would've put up a strong case for FOTN.. and thats a hard thing for me to say cause i've always thought koscheck was dick, but that was a serious performance showing a good chin, sound striking and that full sprint koscheck takedown haha
loonytnt
3/2/08 12:06:56PM
more money to finsh a fight will make the fight a lot better imo

i dont say this much but good job dana
quezocrema0032
3/2/08 1:47:20PM
Leben deserved Ko of the nite
silva earned submission of the nite but i dont think it should have won fight of the nite that one was either herring vs kongo or imo koscheck vs hazlet that fight was great
roadking95th
3/2/08 2:14:51PM

Posted by loonytnt

more money to finsh a fight will make the fight a lot better imo

i dont say this much but good job dana

Yes, bring back Pride's concept of bonuses for finishes!
LoSt
3/2/08 4:26:53PM
koscheck deserves fotn imo, him and and hazelett are the guys that need the money not anderson and hendo who are already making pretty good pay
Ordep
3/2/08 5:28:19PM

Posted by wapttn

Posted by Ordep

really...? it was a great knee, so maybe the actual KO was nicer, but i've always gotten the feeling that KO of the night usually includes the exchanges right before the KO, in which case I would certainly take Leben's KO over okami's... actually, i'd take Koscheck's KO over okami's as well.. on any given night, I think that would've put up a strong case for FOTN.. and thats a hard thing for me to say cause i've always thought koscheck was dick, but that was a serious performance showing a good chin, sound striking and that full sprint koscheck takedown haha

if it is a matter of "exchanges" that take in cosideration both fighters but the ne who gets the Ko is the one who gets the $$$ so it should be based on the KO itself and not in the situation. that's why i said Okami
bls1919
3/2/08 7:16:30PM
IMO all three got what htey deserved
unikcycle
3/2/08 7:30:23PM
I think Leben deserved it just for that sweet looking scene after he knocked out Alessio and he's walking with his arms stretched blood dripping from his eye. That was freaking sweet.
RMFG_187
3/2/08 9:29:50PM
IMO, best KO goes too KOS, that Kick landed FLUSH on the ear.
nastshabast
3/2/08 9:32:10PM

Posted by unikcycle

I think Leben deserved it just for that sweet looking scene after he knocked out Alessio and he's walking with his arms stretched blood dripping from his eye. That was freaking sweet.

You are 100% right, but that being said, any knockout should earn a bonus and guys salaries should be higher to begin with. These fighters are really being pimped by Dana and the UFC and I think it's time that they be compensated accordingly.
emfleek
3/2/08 9:50:04PM

Posted by unikcycle

Agreed. I'm waiting for someone to Photoshop a picture of that and make him look like a cyborg.
bantherj
3/19/08 10:44:09PM
the bonuses rule! pay them and the ax kickin will continue!