Why Silva vs GSP would be a disaster

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Why Silva vs GSP would be a disaster
Lay_N_Pray
4/23/08 1:21:23PM
There has been a lot of talk about wanting to see GSP vs Silva, but I think that would be a very bad move by UFC at this point.

GSP just won the Welterweight title for the second time and is being billed as the best welterweight in the UFC hands down and possibly ever. I fully agree the potential is there, but the fact is he has never successfully defended his championship.

In order to be king of his weight class he needs to defeat a few worthy contenders like Jon Fitch, Marcus Davis, Thiago Alves, Diego Sanchez maybe a third chapter with Serra depending on how Matt does in his next few fights.

The UFC needs to take notes from boxing (usually a horrible idea, but good here) and develope a true super match by letting GSP prove he is the best in his class. Then if Silva is still on top and GSP is going strong, it would be the biggest match in MMA history.
bullettdodger
4/23/08 1:23:33PM
i see what you're saying... i just think the whole fight to begin with is a bad idea, one champ beats another one... then you're left with one champ instead of two... less belt fights for both divisions
Aaronno9
4/23/08 1:29:46PM
I agree. Its exactly the same situation with bj penn to. It seems hes desperate for a rematch with gsp as soon as the sherk fights over (provided he wins of course), but i think he should stay at lw and beat the top contenders there and really cement his place as the best lw ever.

I mean, if you look at matt hughes now, widely regarded as the best ww ever and soon to be inducted into the hall of fame - i think that legacey could of been b.js if hed stayed at ww in the ufc rather than changing weight classes/orgs. But now, provided he gets by sherk, hes got the chance to become the best lw ever.

Then move up and get a fight with gsp when they've both beaten all their contenders. Imagine how much hype they could get behind a fight with gsp and anderson if gsps coming of a victory over bj aswell.
DCRage
4/23/08 1:31:22PM
And it's a pretty big jump for either, not just in terms of gaining/losing weight. These guys may have totally different fighting styles/techniques for their weight class than you have for yours. I could possibly see it happening if it were a catch weight fight (like Hughes-Gracie) but it would have to be non-title. I'd prefer it only be a last resort, say if both keep the belts for a couple years and they've gone through all the top guys-not only UFC but some from WEC since they're talking about doing that.
ObsoleteMan
4/23/08 1:32:38PM

Posted by bullettdodger

i see what you're saying... i just think the whole fight to begin with is a bad idea, one champ beats another one... then you're left with one champ instead of two... less belt fights for both divisions

Well, my dream match would be a catch weight bout anyway, with neither belt on the line, just to see which is best. I believe Dana has said he doesn't want one champ with two belts, so that would probably be the only way for it to happen. Ideally it would take place after GSP defends a few times, because I have a feeling there might be some log-jam at the top in WW, in that no one will be able to get past the top few guys (say, Kos, Fitch, and Diego), but all of the top guys will be embarassed by GSP.
Twenty20Dollars
4/23/08 2:26:25PM
well the fight hasnt even been set yet, because fitch in next in line for a title shot and then thiago. So that locks up gsp if he beats both of those guys. and then silva will prolly have to defend againest okami.

so this fight is way far off to talk about.
Pitbull09
4/23/08 5:12:16PM
I think most people agree. Of course I dont want that fight right now. I think Fitch and Alves have waited long enough for a shot. GSP needs to still dominate like Silva and then maybe in a year we can have the super fight.

This all depends on also if they both can keep their titles. Also, I would want Anderson to fight a pound above welterweight to make sure neither title is on the line.
postman
4/23/08 5:56:33PM
I think this would be an awsome "Super Fight" for the year end show at a catch weight of 177.5. No one loses their title and Dana can claim the winner as the best P4P fighter and the loser the 2nd best. Then someone will say what about Fedor and Dana will reply his last fight was with a UFC outcast.
bam383
4/23/08 6:49:48PM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

There has been a lot of talk about wanting to see GSP vs Silva, but I think that would be a very bad move by UFC at this point.

GSP just won the Welterweight title for the second time and is being billed as the best welterweight in the UFC hands down and possibly ever. I fully agree the potential is there, but the fact is he has never successfully defended his championship.

In order to be king of his weight class he needs to defeat a few worthy contenders like Jon Fitch, Marcus Davis, Thiago Alves, Diego Sanchez maybe a third chapter with Serra depending on how Matt does in his next few fights.

The UFC needs to take notes from boxing (usually a horrible idea, but good here) and develope a true super match by letting GSP prove he is the best in his class. Then if Silva is still on top and GSP is going strong, it would be the biggest match in MMA history.

I agree with you. To me, Anderson Silva should have a superfight set up with someone in the LHW division before GSP is ready for him. GSP needs at least 4 or 5 solid title defenses to cement his legacy before he moves on to a higher weight class.
DCRage
4/23/08 7:04:47PM

Posted by postman

I think this would be an awsome "Super Fight" for the year end show at a catch weight of 177.5. No one loses their title and Dana can claim the winner as the best P4P fighter and the loser the 2nd best. Then someone will say what about Fedor and Dana will reply his last fight was with a UFC outcast.

That's what I was thinking, at least with regards to the weight. And even though Timmy's a former HW Champion, that really doesn't mean much now (plus considering he only beat a couple guys in his defenses, I just remember his fights against Monson & Arlovski, but that' sonly since I started watching UFC).
Pookie
4/23/08 7:10:53PM
I dont believe Silva can cut to 177.5 nowadays.

Walking around hes at 213.
jgtribbett
4/23/08 7:19:09PM
the world saw henderson have to titles.. (pride) and then saw pride "fall" at the feet of the UFC.. now whoever does it in the UFC will be greatest of all time.. I can see why they all awnt another belt
NatedawgThaM
4/23/08 7:26:30PM
Not only that but it will be a completely one side fight and the UFC wouldn't want to make GSP look bad.
JBatch
4/24/08 8:43:14AM
This would be a disaster. These are basically 2 of your top 5 commodities in a business sense and your going to tarnish 1 of thier reputations. GSP needs to worry about cleaning out 170. Anderson needs to keep on keeping on and if Dana in a year or two can't find any viable opponents and these two have solidified there spots as 1 and 2 P4P in the world without a doubt. Sure let them fight no belts on the line but a 5 round battle for who is P4P #1.

I hope BJ doesn't try to come back to 170.
fullerene
4/24/08 10:07:56AM
I like the idea of the fight and I like the danger of one guy losing badly. That's the way fight matchmaking should be--taking the best guys and putting them in fights where they have a chance to lose. People are rightly critical of talented fighters like Fedor or Kimbo who get easy matches that make them look good and extend their winning streaks. This is the exact opposite and it's one of the things that makes MMA more compelling than boxing at the moment. You can critiicize the UFC in a lot of ways, but they don't allow fighters to duck other fighters. GSP and Silva have beaten a lot of top guys in their weight classes and a matchup between them makes sense. GSP still has some intriguing fights at WW, but Silva is running low on guys who would be anything but heavy underdogs at MW.