A. Silva/ Cung Li

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » A. Silva/ Cung Li
jgtribbett
3/30/08 2:02:10AM
I am the furthest thing from talented/ trained striker... therefore i wont comment much. But! Aside from Cung Li becoming a lil overconfident against Shamrock and puting his hands down.. he looks good. I want everyones opinion about how his stand up stacks up against A. Silva's

A. Silvas big things are his accuracy and his knees.. and I dont know enough about cung le to say anything.
cmill21
3/30/08 2:44:53AM
Cung should beat him on the feet but Anderson has good enough stand up to survive and get to the ground where he should take it via sub. It would be fun to watch them stand though.
SpiderSilva
3/30/08 4:16:38AM
After watching some hits Shamrock landed I say Li wouldn't get past the 1st round with Silva
Li was rocked at least 3 times
hell what would Li do if someone shot on him Travis Lutter would Sub him quick
Li is only Champ do to Shamrocks stupidity (not bashing) but if Li does even want to go down
well its a clock ticking till he meets a wrestler with submissons
bullettdodger
3/30/08 5:04:49AM
I kind of have to agree with the post before mine, if Shamrock had given up his ego about standing with Cung he had a real chance to win that fight... Far too overconfident in his striking. Anderson would pick Cung apart... not to say Cung wouldn't get in his shots but Cung really wouldn't have a chance against Anderson Silva...
WhiteWidow
3/30/08 5:12:10AM
as good as cung did against frank, all i was thinking was how badly anderson would have took it to cung and picked him apart, i noticed so many openings in cungs game, frank almost ko'd him in that 3rd round before he got that arm injury, at no point did it look like frank was going to be ko'd except the final 15 secs of round 3, i cannot bring myself to think cung could do much on the feet or the ground with anderson, this fight is ultimatly a bust but would be exciting for the first 1 or 2, misaki and akiyama hold bigger challenges to anderson but doubtfull they go to the UFC, and doubtfull cung does either, EliteXC will probably tie him down with lots of cash til he retires
xchickox
3/30/08 8:50:32AM
as much as he has a great range of strikes with hands and feet he doesn't seem to have massive power which he would need to beat anderson silva, i think silva would ko cung le on the feet, and if he wanted to take it down to the ground he would and he'd submit him, he's not as stubborn or proud as frank shamrock and would do what it takes to win
jgtribbett
3/30/08 10:59:39AM

Posted by SpiderSilva

After watching some hits Shamrock landed I say Li wouldn't get past the 1st round with Silva
Li was rocked at least 3 times
hell what would Li do if someone shot on him Travis Lutter would Sub him quick
Li is only Champ do to Shamrocks stupidity (not bashing) but if Li does even want to go down
well its a clock ticking till he meets a wrestler with submissons

the problem with saying a sub guy or a wreslter is gonna take him down..is that he can wrestle probably better than any jiu-jitsu guy and better than most wrestlers..
in the ufc i see 3 guys taking him down: hendo, couture, karo.. greco and judo are his games though... so who knows. he wouodnt get taken down eventually .. but probably not by silva
Rush
3/30/08 11:13:48AM

Posted by jgtribbett

A. Silvas big things are his accuracy and his knees.. and I dont know enough about cung le to say anything.

Then you just say above my post that you think Cung could only be taken down by three guys in the UFC, two of which are heavier wrestlers and one judo guy that hasn't had a clean throw since his fight with Diego....

skinnator
3/30/08 11:30:49AM
if both of these fighters fight againts each other the building will sell out faster than GSP vs Serra in MTL(2 mins)
D0wnUnd6e6r
3/30/08 11:35:31AM
Silva would cruuuuuuush Cung Le
cmill21
3/30/08 12:25:26PM
Do you guys not know Cung's striking credentials? Sure Anderson dominates guys like Franklin and Marquardt standing but Cung is a kickboxing champion and has gone 3-0 in K-1.
xchickox
3/30/08 12:28:18PM

Posted by cmill21

Do you guys not know Cung's striking credentials? Sure Anderson dominates guys like Franklin and Marquardt standing but Cung is a kickboxing champion and has gone 3-0 in K-1.

but there didn't seem that much power in his strikes, he caught shamrock clean with both kicks and punches and none of them really seemed to rock shamrock
gartface
3/30/08 12:37:39PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by jgtribbett

Then you just say above my post that you think Cung could only be taken down by three guys in the UFC, two of which are HW wrestlers and one judo guy that hasn't had a clean throw since his fight with Diego....

Whoa whoa whoa! He tossed Burkman pretty cleanly
Rush
3/30/08 12:38:38PM
I don't remember that. I'll have to watch the fight again.

As for Le's striking, well, after watching the fight I have to agree that his strikes did not have much power. My hunch is that his striking will be much less effective given a match with more takedowns.

I agree with the assessment that Frank lost this fight because of the way he fought not so much the was Le fought.

I wonder if Dana will react as he said he would've when Frank fought Baroni (i.e. that he would sign Baroni if he beat Frank). Now Le has beat Frank, maybe we'll see Le in the UFC and see if he is as good as some say. As far as I'm concerned, Silva is a way more dynamic striker than Frank Shamrock and would take care of Le with little trouble.

mkiv9secsupra
3/30/08 1:49:07PM
I dont know if it was the alcohol in me or not but it seemed like Cung had pretty good striking but had very little head movement and against a guy like Silva you need to be very evasive on the feet. So id say TKO 1st round for anderson.
cowcatcher
3/30/08 1:52:19PM

Posted by xchickox

as much as he has a great range of strikes with hands and feet he doesn't seem to have massive power which he would need to beat anderson silva, i think silva would ko cung le on the feet, and if he wanted to take it down to the ground he would and he'd submit him, he's not as stubborn or proud as frank shamrock and would do what it takes to win

sorry but i have to disagree about silva not being as proud as shamrock. silva has gone out and challenged a former boxing champ to a boxing match. people like to get on frank shamrock about his ego, but silva going out and doing this is more brash and egomaniacal than anything i can remember frank doing. funny how winning in the ufc can make a guy with a HUGE ego look like such a good guy to many uniformed fans, but a guy thats been at this for years and beaten some of the best(thats frank shamrock if you cant follow), runs his mouth but since hes not in the ufc, hes not much of a fighter in some peoples eyes, and is painted as a bad guy. im not saying i think hes a good dude that doesnt have major ego issues, but why no bashing of silva for what is shaping up to be a pretty big head?
SpiderSilva
3/30/08 2:36:17PM
I beleive Silva is trying to help the MMA world by showing that an MMA fighter can stand with a boxer as there is a huge debate about boxing and MMA I think he is an ambasitor by doing this he seems to respect his title by not getting a big head at how bad he beats people he got upset when Lutter didn't make weight and felt he disrespected his title wow I don't think Shamrock is a dick he has a big head from being a pioneer of the sport a lot of old fighters are the same way today but Shamrock still has about 3-5 years left although I want to see that knee tested
ncordless
3/30/08 3:08:42PM
This not really a match up that's worth discussing, yet. As things stand right now, Silva would win easily. Give Cung a couple more years at AKA and it could well be a good match.
chickmagnet
3/30/08 4:03:24PM
Cung Le is top 3 most talented srikers in the middleweight division, he is K-1 level and he could definatley hang wit Silva on the feet, the ground is the difference but I dont think Anderson would try to take it to the ground. Cung Le may not have the power but he definatley has the accuracy and speed to contest Silva.

By the way any of the guys Anderson has beat, Leben, Lutter, Franklin x2, Nate, Cung Le would beat....But I'm not sure about Hendo.
Gipper
3/30/08 4:10:53PM
i don't think anybody can beat a.silva rite now at 185.
Rush
3/30/08 5:18:03PM

Posted by chickmagnet

Cung Le is top 3 most talented srikers in the middleweight division, he is K-1 level and he could definatley hang wit Silva on the feet, the ground is the difference but I dont think Anderson would try to take it to the ground. Cung Le may not have the power but he definatley has the accuracy and speed to contest Silva.

By the way any of the guys Anderson has beat, Leben, Lutter, Franklin x2, Nate, Cung Le would beat....But I'm not sure about Hendo.

Just out of curiosity, why don't you have Cung in your top 10 then?

#1 Anderson "The Spider" Silva
#2 Dan "Hollywood" Henderson
#3 Paulo Filho
#4 Denis Kang
#5 Rich "Ace" Franklin
#6 Yushin "Thunder" Okami
#7 Matt "The Law" Lindland
#8 Martin "Hitman" Kampman
#9 Murilo "Ninja" Rua
#10 Frank "The Legend" Shamrock

*note this is not my top 10
Mastodon2
3/30/08 5:51:17PM
After Cung's recent performance, I no longer believe him to be anything close to Anderson's level. Imagine if Cung had used that striking on Anderson, whereas Frank couldnt do much, I'd take Silva to win by RD2 KO.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
3/30/08 7:39:58PM
i dont think cung li has the chin or KO power that anderson has. Anderson would also have a big reach advantage. Im not sure what cung li cuts from, but he doesnt look very big for a middle weight. I would be surprised if cung li made it past round 1.
jgtribbett
3/30/08 7:58:27PM
i watched a few of his san shou fight s and hed kick a lil.. then do a greco though. i thought his form looked good.. butidont know anythingabout striking and dont know anything about cung le's ground game.. honestly i think gsp could probably take down anyone.. (thats coming from wreslter who is not a fan of GSP) the dudes the total althete.. i just hope he doesnt go through his whole career loosing to a guy and then paying him back.. haha
StriderXero
3/30/08 8:42:52PM
I seriously dont think Silva will out strike Cung in a kickboxing match. Anderson almost always trys to keep it on the feet. The thing I do see Anderson doing is getting Cung in the muy thai clinch and killing him from there. But if Cung keeps his distance and picks his shots, I see Cung taking it.

Cung was trying not to get taken down by Frank, that is why he almost got KOd. He was worried more about the takedowns than striking, I think that's why his hands were low. Shamrock looking like he's going for a take down, but hits him with an overhand right.

Giving that, I think Cung would get killed by Hendo.
Jackelope
3/30/08 8:52:23PM
The reach would play a big factor in a fight between Cung Le and Anderson Silva. Cung Le has great kickboxing credentials, but honestly I'm not convinced they convert into MMA as cleanly as what happened against Frank Shamrock may suggest. Frank's standup looked like a joke in that fight until he started timing the overhand right at the end. (Of course by that point he'd broken his arm, so he couldn't score the clean KO)

I think I'd have to take Anderson Silva by 2nd or 3rd round KO in this one. I know Cung Le's credentials are there, but the power and chin aren't (IMO). Would be interesting to see how Anderson Silva deals with all the checking front and side kicks, though.
PaleHorse
3/31/08 2:59:46PM

Posted by xchickox

Posted by cmill21

but there didn't seem that much power in his strikes, he caught shamrock clean with both kicks and punches and none of them really seemed to rock shamrock

You're talking about Frank Shamrock, the dude is a legend in MMA. He's been up against a lot of the best people and never been rocked. Also, a human bone is 100x harder than concrete and Cung kicked his way through one, I'd say he has a little bit of power. I agree though, Anderson has yet to really show anyone being capable of rocking him, but Cung is an amazing wrestler, whether or not people realize that, and I believe he's undefeated in like every aspect of living, MMA, kickboxing, and wrestling (don't take my word for it 100% but I'm pretty sure on that one), anyhow, I think that it'd be awesome to see a muay thai world champion vs. a kickboxing world champion, as I've said before, I'd take this fight any day of the week before Yushin's rematch.
PaleHorse
3/31/08 3:02:32PM

Posted by Jackelope

The reach would play a big factor in a fight between Cung Le and Anderson Silva. Cung Le has great kickboxing credentials, but honestly I'm not convinced they convert into MMA as cleanly as what happened against Frank Shamrock may suggest. Frank's standup looked like a joke in that fight until he started timing the overhand right at the end. (Of course by that point he'd broken his arm, so he couldn't score the clean KO)

I think I'd have to take Anderson Silva by 2nd or 3rd round KO in this one. I know Cung Le's credentials are there, but the power and chin aren't (IMO). Would be interesting to see how Anderson Silva deals with all the checking front and side kicks, though.

It seems like Silva does everything he can to avoid a third round, but it also seems like he tries to avoid a second round too and some people can make it out of the first, but he hasn't seen the third round since '04 and I think if Cung were to stand with him it'd be a one, maybe two round fight.
postman
3/31/08 7:36:48PM
I knew this Thread would be up but I wasn't able to get to the computer till now so my thoughts are In a stand up battle Cung should win by points. But anderson would take him down and sub him.