Silva's going crazy, wants to fight at UFC 91

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Silva's going crazy, wants to fight at UFC 91
Next Page »
MMAcca
10/28/08 2:22:24PM
It sounds like some of the criticism is starting to hit home for Anderson Silva. UFC president Dana White told the Las Vegas Review-Journal that Silva wants to get right back on the horse:

"He's flipping out. He wants to fight again, like, on Nov. 15. He's (upset) about his performance and he wants to fight again immediately."

A Silva appearance on Nov. 15 is highly unlikely. There's no one of any quality who would take a Silva fight on three weeks notice for UFC 91. The following UFC cards (UFC 92 & 94) are completely stacked so where would a Silva fight fit in? UFC 93 in Dublin could use some beefing up. Right now the main event is Rich Franklin v. Dan Henderson and the second fight is Shogun Rua and Mark Coleman.

The UFC should make a fight for Silva at 205. Who should the next victim be? Dana White told Yahoo! Sports on Saturday that he feels sorry for the next guy who fights the 'disrespected' Silva. White had little response to a question about matching up Chuck Liddell and Silva in London in February. That matchup does have huge sizzle and all parties involved may feel some pressure to repair the image of both Liddell and Silva with a superfight.

LINK
bojangalz
10/28/08 2:32:58PM
I've gotta believe that there is someone out there (not a contender mind you) who is thinking it would be a great career move to take that fight on short notice and try to make a name for themselves. Even in losing would bring some great name recognition for stepping up on three weeks to take a shot at the best P4P fighter in the world.

But there's not a chance in hell the UFC lets Silva fight again that soon. With all of that retirement talk recently, they won't be wasting a single one of Silva's remaining fights. They'd be one fight closer to potentially losing a top fighter, and they'd have nothing to show in return for the fight.

I say let Silva stoke that fire for a while, his next opponent will be in for a real treat.
finnish_line
10/28/08 3:28:51PM

Houston Alexander would take the fight on 19 days notice.
bullettdodger
10/28/08 3:35:24PM

Posted by finnish_line

That would be an interesting match-up if they both throw hands
4u2nv
10/28/08 3:36:15PM

Posted by finnish_line

yes he would and then get subbed in the first round!!!
MMA_Alex
10/28/08 3:36:41PM

Posted by 4u2nv

Posted by finnish_line

yes he would and then get subbed in the first round!!!

It would be a James Irvin repeat and a waste of one of Silva's apparently last fights.
Twenty20Dollars
10/28/08 3:42:27PM
How about Thales Leites vs Anderson Silva. Both fought at ufc 90 and both werent really hurt.
loller90278
10/28/08 3:46:50PM
i say tim boetsch.
StorminYourman
10/28/08 4:13:07PM
Take Okami out of the Lister fight and match him up with Silva
Branwest
10/28/08 4:14:33PM
I'd hate to be the next person to step in the cage against Silva. He's going to want to redeem himself and prove himself (not that he really has to). But he does need to mend some fences and alot of people, including myself, were disapointed in his fight with Cote. He spent way too much time doing nothing. I don't blame someone for being cautious, but that was just too much. When he did strike, he looked great and inflicted some good damage. I wish he was on the next card. It's not like he took any damage, and he's already in shape. If I were a MW or LHW in the UFC, I would jump at the chance, as would most fighters, I would think. I think they could find a legitimate fighter, probably at LHW, who would fight Silva on just three weeks notice.
aaa9erh8er
10/28/08 4:17:44PM

Posted by bojangalz

I've gotta believe that there is someone out there (not a contender mind you) who is thinking it would be a great career move to take that fight on short notice and try to make a name for themselves. Even in losing would bring some great name recognition for stepping up on three weeks to take a shot at the best P4P fighter in the world.

But there's not a chance in hell the UFC lets Silva fight again that soon. With all of that retirement talk recently, they won't be wasting a single one of Silva's remaining fights. They'd be one fight closer to potentially losing a top fighter, and they'd have nothing to show in return for the fight.

I say let Silva stoke that fire for a while, his next opponent will be in for a real treat.

tuvok500
10/28/08 4:51:25PM
Silva need to relax, no need to feed him with a can just to show that he is still a beast.

Next time he will just have to come to fight that's all.

Givershit
10/28/08 5:13:37PM
Bring Tito back for one more ass kicking.
4u2nv
10/28/08 5:24:21PM

Posted by Givershit

Bring Tito back for one more ass kicking.

Hahahaha it would be the rematch like Lyoto all over again!!! hahaha he'd be pissed and more banged up after a fight with Andy! lol
Wolfenstein
10/28/08 5:57:02PM
I really like that Anderson is responsive to the fan's displeasure with the fight. I love this guy's attitude!

I wish they could get him at UFC 91 because aide from Brock vs Randy the rest of the card is really weak. It actually kind of pains me to pay $50 bucks for this PPV.

You would think someone in the MW division would want to step up and get a crack at the champ. I mean Thiago didn't have a problem getting an opponent. I'd like to see Thales Leites or Nate Marquardt step up.
bls1919
10/28/08 6:27:47PM
Anderson needs a. No need to fight somone on short notice, just to prove your the man. He has proven it time and time again. Give him some time to relax and bring him back for a good fight. Maybe Bisping?!?!?
crushedbacon
10/28/08 6:35:17PM
How about at 205 lbs Anderson Silva vs Luis 'Banha' Cane at UFC 92 ? That's something I'd love to see. Mostly cuz I'll be at that card but it would round out the year end show rather nicely. I think this fight might be a little risky for Silva. For some reason too I remember reading somewhere there's some bad blood between these two from years ago when Anderson was with Chute Boxe.
Aaronno9
10/28/08 7:05:20PM
Screw coleman, rua will wreck him anyways plus theirs enough time to give him another decent fight.

Silva vs Rua

nuff said.
RMFG_187
10/28/08 7:23:47PM
Every Silva thread I will say the same thing. Expect the QUOTE P4P Champ to get Gimme fights for the rest of his career. Remember, He has only fought two legit Contenders. Hendo and Franklin. all others were a joke. Lutter, Leben, Marquart, Cote were all undeserving of there shots at A Silva.

A guy goes on a 3 fight W streak and u get a chance to fight Silva. Thats a joke. That meens Leites is next, and we all know he has no chance.

He should be fighting TOP guys. but with that said i understand MW division has nothing left. But comon. Even at LHW he is gonna get washed up fighters like Irvin and soon to be Chuck.

If A Silva beats GSP, Forrest, Rampage, Wandy, or even Luiz Cane. I will give him some more respect.

and Until he fights a striker, he is still not P4P champ in my eyes.

Just remember, Chuck was thought to be P4P champ because he finished all his opponents for 5 years, but NONE were strikers. This is the same case.
prozacnation1978
10/28/08 7:41:10PM
this is too easy
grab okami out of the lister fight put almeida in it's place and move okami to fight silva in ireland

jae_1833
10/28/08 8:00:01PM
This shows me that he is in no way ready to retire.....some guy goes on a streak a year or two after he does and Andy is going to want to make a come back....watch.
tdietel01
10/28/08 8:17:26PM
i think they should offer a fight to bisping for the next pay per view. if he really wants his shot here is a good place to get it. they are both in shape and neither one really took any damage at thier last fight.
scpd400
10/28/08 10:39:54PM
how about TUF 8 Finale smeone out there will fight him just to try and move up in the rankings.
Jackelope
10/28/08 11:14:58PM
I respect that he wants to fight again so soon.

Really, though.. he has no one to blame but himself for his performance. He should have taken the fight seriously and crushed his opponent. The fans don't care if he goes 3 rounds or 3 seconds. They just want to see fighters fight at their best ability. If that means a 3 second KO highlight then perfect!

People can say all day long that it was a "Machida performance," but even Machida throws more shots than Anderson did. He needs to get over himself IMO and it sounds like with this next fight he may plan on doing just that. I've always thought he has an inner-cockiness that could lead to his detriment, only I didn't realize it would be amongst the fans and not in the form of a loss. The fans hating on him is probably a lot worse for him. Sorry to hear that he's going through this but again.. he has no one but himself to blame.
Ben_Hutch
10/28/08 11:22:50PM
This is incredible, Anderson goes to the 3rd round without the first 2 rounds being filled with fireworks and all of a sudden he's boring and needs to redeem himself?

What the f*** is this? Just because all his other fights have been great to watch it doesn't mean this one should be to, yes i wish it was more exciting but not all of his fights can be that way, what if it was his gameplan to feel Cote out for the first couple of rounds and finish him off later on?

Unbelieveable.
emfleek
10/28/08 11:28:42PM
Did someone really suggest Houston Alexander?

Sorry, but Houston would tapout on his way to the cage.
mrsmiley
10/28/08 11:37:12PM
I would fight him on short notice.

But then again I would like to live.
lordicast
10/28/08 11:48:12PM
To tell you the truth he only has 5 fights left on his contract and i think he wants to go threw them rather quickly and thats the reason he's acting like he was "displeased and want to show people whats up" Silva we already know whats up he needs to chill out for a hot day
Kracker_Jap
10/28/08 11:48:45PM
I wonder if Steve Cantwell is in shape???

I would watch that fight
Jackelope
10/28/08 11:55:11PM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

This is incredible, Anderson goes to the 3rd round without the first 2 rounds being filled with fireworks and all of a sudden he's boring and needs to redeem himself?

What the f*** is this? Just because all his other fights have been great to watch it doesn't mean this one should be to, yes i wish it was more exciting but not all of his fights can be that way, what if it was his gameplan to feel Cote out for the first couple of rounds and finish him off later on?

Unbelieveable.

And this is my problem with them saying all along that Silva is the #1 P4P fighter in the world. Don't make that claim repeatedly (which they have over the last several months) and then showcase this fighter in a fight in which its hard to tell if he even cares or not. Just like EliteXC hyped the hell out of Kimbo and as soon as he didn't produce they tanked the UFC hyped Anderson and if he doesn't produce the backlash is huge. (UFC won't tank, but still.. you're seeing a huge backlash)

Anderson always feels out his opponents in the first couple minutes before he attacks. The gameplan from Cote's corner was to keep coming with something different and change up the footwork to confuse him. If you base fights on Octagon control and aggression (which are two criteria for judging in the UFC) then one can argue Cote controlled a major portion of the fight.

Again, I go back to an argument I constantly bring up- Effort to finish. It NEEDS to be a criteria like it was in Pride for judging so that you avoid this kind of stuff and these arguments are moot. The judging is so wishy-washy with Octagon control and aggression that if you leverage much of your judging on effort to finish you don't have to worry about that stuff. Case in point if you had been judging with effort to finish as main criteria in that fight Cote would have been far ahead on the cards and Anderson would have been forced into action.

Pages: [1] 2