Was Silva Vs Cote that boring?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Was Silva Vs Cote that boring?
joshryanshepherd
8/5/09 8:58:04PM
Whenever someone mentions Anderson and his recent fights and them being "boring", they always mention the Cote fight.

I didnt think it was boring at all.

I think that Cote's Great Chin was the problem. Anderson couldn't finish him and the crowd was displeased with Silva. Anderson landed like two Solid knees to the head and a kick to the face and if anything it just startled Patrick.
sclasclemski
8/5/09 9:09:53PM
maybe I'm just being optimistic..but I was expecting the third and fourth rounds of that fight to be a cote beat down...I felt that at the end of the second Anderson was just starting to get loose...I wouldn't say I was bored I think that would be unfair but I was dissapointed in the outcome and with the addition of the leites fight I think that just compounded things in peoples minds.
The_Ho_Bag
8/5/09 9:15:10PM
imo people are used to him finishing everyone and when the fight goes out of the 2nd round they get mad. a lot of people say Silvas last two fights where "boring". but thats just me
adamal
8/5/09 9:54:03PM
Anderson is by far my favorite fighter, and so I'm not biased when I say yes it was that boring. A lot of dancing and circling. Agreed that feeling is exacerbated by his high level of expectations, but still he was not aggressive at all.
SpiderSilva
8/5/09 10:14:45PM
He scared Cote so bad he thought he won by making it farther than anyone ever in the ufc till thales took that glory away let's face it he scares fighters into not wanting to engage him he is the greatest fighter in ufc history and will continue his dominance this weekend with the destruction of Forrest Griffin
KaibaThedon
8/5/09 10:26:51PM
I wouldn't say boring, I mean they circled each other, Silva landed HUGE strikes and cut Cote open, but his chin is just so tough... he got hit flush on the face and it didn't knock him down... sure there was more dancing than I'd like, but if Cote hits you with one good one, chances are you're going DOWN. Yes I understand that it wasn't the same Silva that murdered Franklin, Hendo and James Irvin, but if you run into Cote's right hand, you're gonna be seeing birdies...

Scott Smith, Kendall Grove, Drew McFederies and Ricardo Almeida -- All tough guys, and all beaten by Cote... did he deserve a title shot at that point? Probably not, but he did more than Thales Leites who beat Nate Marquardt cuz of shoddy point deduction. (knee to the grounded opponent was legit obviously)

I thought there was a little too much dancing, and not enough killer instinct -- but to be honest, if his knee didn't pop out, he still wouldn't have made it a snooze fest like UFC97, Silva would've finished him in round 3/4/5. I don't think it was BORING boring, but its not the same Silva we're used to, and its because the Predator has serious 1 punch KO power.
jae_1833
8/5/09 10:46:38PM
It was considered boring because of the lack of action....plain and simple. Same thing in the Leites fight. I mean really did we forget the thousand hand slap that Silva pulled off without landing a single strike? I love fights and don't mind in the slightest if they go to decision.....if it's a barn burner. If 2 elite fighters are actively trying to put the other out and it goes to decision it will be exciting. If not then we get the abortions that are the Leites/Cote fights. I also believe that it's a problem for both opponents. I really think Cote should have been decisive and aggressive during the whole Bruce Lee imitation. They are all to blame if we are deserving of placing blame and I think we are, we are the fans.
cowcatcher
8/5/09 10:52:37PM
it was boring, not much happened and they are both thought of as good strikers to say the least so fans wanted to see some trading that never really happened at length. silva scares guys into his fight though, more power to him.
cmill21
8/5/09 11:52:44PM
Such a boring fight. I remember walking downstairs and playing ping pong halfway through the second round.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
8/6/09 12:01:39AM
For once i agree with the OP . The same knee that put henderson in trouble, landed flush on cote . He also landed a straight right punch that would of knocked out most . Obviously if a fighter(cote) doesnt engage a counter striker(anderson) , its not going to please the casual fans . The same goes for any machida fight .
Nightmare27
8/6/09 2:09:58AM
Anderson is a victim of his own success. I too was hoping that he was just getting some work in and was going to pick it up and finish Cote. It didnt go long enough to be boring for me.
PABLOMAFIOSO
8/6/09 2:36:46AM
Yes the fight was boring, Cote gave himself way too much credit for his performance (for some reason he thought he done well to reach the third) when in reality he was never winning the fight. There was too much dancing for my liking.
hippysmacker
8/6/09 3:04:04AM

Posted by cmill21

Such a boring fight. I remember walking downstairs and playing ping pong halfway through the second round.

I actually nodded off. Its a fight, so it stands to reason that they should actually FIGHT , right?
Art_Jimmerson
8/6/09 4:15:55AM
Anderson Silva has chosen not to finish his last 2 fights, instead he'd rather dance around and toy with his opponent like some sort of child.

He either likes annoying the fans or is very immature.
raymurda
8/6/09 6:59:48AM
anderson knew pats power and wasnt gona test those waters. he did what he does.... pick people apart. i ust think its sad that pat blew out his knee, nothing he could of did + he was right in that fight.
prozacnation1978
8/6/09 9:41:05AM
i was at the event live
i was very upset not cause of how silva fought but cause of the blown knee ending the fight

why would silva chase say a leites around if the guy doesn't wanna engage
he will bring it if the other guy does,
all i'll say is sat night he will be active more than he was in his last 2 fights combined
juggernautakira
8/6/09 10:27:06AM

Posted by joshryanshepherd

Whenever someone mentions Anderson and his recent fights and them being "boring", they always mention the Cote fight.

I didnt think it was boring at all.

I think that Cote's Great Chin was the problem. Anderson couldn't finish him and the crowd was displeased with Silva. Anderson landed like two Solid knees to the head and a kick to the face and if anything it just startled Patrick.

I actually watched this fight again recently and though it wasnt the most exciting fight, it was entertaining to me. Cote took a **** load of shots from Silva and was losing, but he wasnt going down. He saw/felt the worst and knew that it wasnt enough to KO him. That has got to give a defender a lot of confidence and doubt for the attacker.
MMA-San
8/6/09 8:40:07PM
Leites fight was boring. Cote fight was not...just unfortunate.