Silva vs. Cote

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Silva vs. Cote
Pskinner_mma314
8/6/08 2:24:49AM
Once again posting about Silva v. Cote, this time just my thoughts on the outcome, not questioning why Cote gets the shot.

On the last post I heard alot about how Silva would be a better matchup for Cote than Okami.

What i want to say is um............ Who is Silva a good matchup for? Seriously, he dominates everyone.

Anyways, Cote is a great standup fighter, but not so great on the ground. Almeida is phenomonal on the ground, but you have to get someone there before you can do anything, and because Almeida has by comparison weak standup, Cote could avoid it, and was playing very cautious against, making an EXTREMELY boring fight. See heres the thing, Silva is great on the ground, on the feet, and in the clinch, the qualities of a champion. Cote is completely outmatched in all of those areas, though standup is not too bad.

Basically, Okami went the distance with Franklin, someone who finishes almost all of his opponents, and gets destroyed by Silva......twice. I don't think Cote would fare very good against Franklin. Even though who fought who, and who beat who and how, doesn't really matter, but its still somethin to think about.

And the business about making a boring fight and taking the belt from one of your stars (don't see happening but possibly, I'm talkin about Okami by the way), isn't that the point of championships, to find the best fighter out there, regardless of how they fight.

I think Silva is gonna murder cote, Okami or anyone they put him up against. I don't think Silva is gonna get a real challenge at MW for awhile.
balack_o-bama
8/6/08 2:59:41AM
Yup, Spider Silva by Elbow Ko.
Pookie
8/6/08 3:07:04AM

Posted by Pskinner_mma314

What i want to say is um............ Who is Silva a good matchup for? Seriously, he dominates everyone.

The type of fighter that would do well against silva barring any weight advantages... is either a better kickboxer(unlikely to have one at this stage who has a competent ground game), or a Defensively attuned bjj artist with great takedowns. Similar to Ricardo Arona in his prime.

Someone who is not going to get subbed on the ground, and has the takedown capabilities to continuously take you there.

soundboy1
8/7/08 2:41:07PM
Cote can take a beating, but I think once spider gets tired of kicking and kneeing him he will try to finish him with a submission probably by the 2nd minute of the 2nd round. Dana is going to have to do some serious recruiting to find a challenger for Silva. Who the hell is left?
Kastro
8/7/08 3:34:53PM
People are overlooking Cote here... lets not forget he is extremely hard to finish and has went the distance with the likes of Tito Ortiz in his prime..

Cote has a chin of granite as well, not to mention the fact that he is obviously going to be taking this fight very seriously as it is the biggest opportunity of his MMA career...

Being a Canadian myself I am obviously going for Cote.. but lets take a look at Anderson...

---

Everyone thinks Anderson is some sort of god... I kinda disagree with them and heres why: Anderson was not really a big deal in the MMA world before he came to the UFC, he was a middle class fighter in Pride who looked good but not too great..

The UFC acquires Anderson Silva, he walks through a sloppy Chris Leben, beats Rich Franklin who had no answer for the clinch (and was highly over rated IMO), almost loses to an out of shape Travis Lutter but manages to turn the fight around.. from there he goes on to beat some pretty good names the toughest test being Dan Henderson.. then he moves up to 205 lbs and beats an easy opponent in James Irvin (no offense guys, but come on...) and now everyone is calling him the P4P best fighter in the world?? I disagree...

Not only did the UFC give Anderson Silva opponents who he matches up well with, but they gave him easy opponents (with the exception of Dan Henderson)...

Silva is definitely beatable, and I dont care what any of you say, with a good gameplan and the proper training (which im sure he is going to have) Cote has a great chance against Silva...

Cant wait to see this one, lets go Cote!!
soundboy1
8/7/08 4:09:13PM
It's not so much his record that gives people the feeling he is unbeatable. If you watch his fights it's almost like he plays with his opponent and then decides how he wants to finish them. I mean the 2nd round of Franklin #2 was insane. It was like watching an instructional video on muay thai. He could be beaten but I can't see it happening at middle weight. Especially against Patrick Cote.
Drudinh
8/8/08 4:03:40AM
CUNG LE. IF HE'D EVER CONVERT TO UFC IS AS GREAT AS A MATCH UP AS U CAN GET AGAINST SILVA. ( MAYBE NOT SO MUCH ON THE GROUND, BUT STAND UP WOULD BE PRETTY AWESOME!)
Kastro
8/8/08 3:15:42PM

Posted by Drudinh

CUNG LE. IF HE'D EVER CONVERT TO UFC IS AS GREAT AS A MATCH UP AS U CAN GET AGAINST SILVA. ( MAYBE NOT SO MUCH ON THE GROUND, BUT STAND UP WOULD BE PRETTY AWESOME!)

Sorry dude but I got to disagree with you there... Cung Le doesn't have the aggression nor does he have the striking power to pose much of a threat to Anderson Silva... last fight I watched of Le's he was throwing punches and then running, he is afraid to get hit and needs a lot more balls to go out for the kill if he is fighting Anderson..

Just my opinion though.. would be an interesting fight nonetheless!
bls1919
8/9/08 1:26:46AM
Cote has been one of my sleeper favorites but he really has no chance against Silva. His Striking is good , but pales in comparison to Silva and Patrick has an anemic ground game against a BJJ black belt. I hate to say that a fighter doesnt have a chance but the way Silva is dipatching openents I dont know what else to sasy but ..........WOOHOO for 800 posts