SILVA BOXING JONES A STEP CLOSER TO REALITY?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » SILVA BOXING JONES A STEP CLOSER TO REALITY?
jiujitsufreak74
3/12/08 7:12:05PM
“I just spoke with Roy Jones’ management and they are very interested in it. They think it would break all kinds of pay-per-view records. It all kind of started as a dream of Anderson’s, but if the UFC would back it, it is something that we really would like to pursue.”

Jones’ management indicated that this could be a fight that would bring together the fractured factions of boxing and mixed martial arts. “They think it will actually bring together the boxing and MMA communities,” said Soares...

LINK
Pookie
3/12/08 7:22:17PM
Not sure if Dana would let this happen.

Silva would be out 6-8 months from the ufc at least.
Vendetta
3/12/08 7:29:14PM

Posted by Pookie

The time he'll miss isn't unreasonable, look at how long it's going to take for somebody to fight for the welterweight title due to the friggin' reality show.

I don't think Dana would allow it to happen simply because he wouldn't want one of his best fighters getting destroyed. Which is what would happen if Silva boxed Jones.
jiujitsufreak74
3/12/08 7:36:29PM

Posted by Vendetta

Posted by Pookie

The time he'll miss isn't unreasonable, look at how long it's going to take for somebody to fight for the welterweight title due to the friggin' reality show.

I don't think Dana would allow it to happen simply because he wouldn't want one of his best fighters getting destroyed. Which is what would happen if Silva boxed Jones.

i agree the only way Dana would/ should let this happen is in an MMA fight where Silva would own or a K-1 style fight. boxing a boxing legend isn't the smartest thing to do. i think that if this happened Silva would lose and it would only fuel some of the cynics. if Silva lost this fight it would tarnish MMA imo, at least to the average sports fan.
Vendetta
3/12/08 7:38:08PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by Vendetta

Posted by Pookie

i agree the only way Dana would/ should let this happen is in an MMA fight where Silva would own or a K-1 style fight. boxing a boxing legend isn't the smartest thing to do. i think that if this happened Silva would lose and it would only fuel some of the cynics. if Silva lost this fight it would tarnish MMA imo, at least to the average sports fan.

Agreed totally, but only to the average sports fan. The hardcore MMA and boxing fans still know what's up.
dust
3/12/08 8:04:27PM
RJJ will absolutely rape and embarrass Anderson Silva in straight up boxing.

edit: For any TUF noobs looking to respond and look smart, I know that the opposite is true as well.
bls1919
3/12/08 8:05:00PM
Dont these guys all sign a Exclusivity Clause in their contract. So even if Dana wantd to fight him outside of the UFC(yeah right) could he legaly do it.
gartface
3/12/08 8:06:37PM

Posted by dust

edit: For any TUF noobs looking to respond and look smart, I know that the opposite is true as well.

Chuteboxer
3/12/08 8:29:41PM

Posted by dust

yeah I have to agree. Anderson Silva's greatest weapons are his knees. He can't use his knees in boxing. Roy Jones has been doing boxing for so long, he'll know how to pick Silva apart. Silva may not get knocked out but he will definitely lose a decision...
d_block07
3/12/08 9:02:41PM

Posted by Chuteboxer

Posted by dust

yeah I have to agree. Anderson Silva's greatest weapons are his knees. He can't use his knees in boxing. Roy Jones has been doing boxing for so long, he'll know how to pick Silva apart. Silva may not get knocked out but he will definitely lose a decision...

NO. Silva will be KOed. very quickly too. sad to say it
cmill21
3/12/08 9:09:03PM
Come on Dana make it happen. I like Anderson alot but Muay Thai's aren't known for great boxing, and Anderson's is pretty good but RJJ would probably make him look very very bad. Although if Anderson somehow pulled it out and won it would be a huuuge huuuuge victory for Dana and MMA.
Gladiator
3/12/08 9:13:36PM
This is a boxing match i could get excited for, i always love to see RJJ fight and i love to see anderson silva fight. i dont really care who wins because i thin that no matter how it goes down it will be an awesome fight... both are exciting fighters IMO. not to mention it would answer some of my questions about how good silva's striking really is compared to a boxing legend like Roy, whether he gets knocked out in the first round or makes it competetive for 12 rounds i would like to find out. and as for the cynics if silva loses... bring them on!!! if jones destroys silva then maybe (by some miracle) some boxers will get confident and actually test the waters of MMA
TimW001
3/12/08 9:13:51PM
I'de love to see this. I think Jones woudl take it via Decision but I would still love to see this! And plus, who is he really going to fight at MW in the UFC?
JimiMak
3/12/08 10:12:49PM

Posted by bls1919

Dont these guys all sign a Exclusivity Clause in their contract. So even if Dana wantd to fight him outside of the UFC(yeah right) could he legaly do it.

I could be wrong, but I think they are exclusive to teh management who can decide to relax the clause or not for their gain. I don't think Dana will tho.
TimW001
3/12/08 11:06:54PM

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by bls1919

I could be wrong, but I think they are exclusive to teh management who can decide to relax the clause or not for their gain. I don't think Dana will tho.

With Dana's consent, one can fight outside of the UFC. Chuck in the 2003 GP for example.
cmill21
3/12/08 11:10:27PM

Posted by TimW001

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by bls1919

With Dana's consent, one can fight outside of the UFC. Chuck in the 2003 GP for example.

Vitor in 05, and allowing Mach and Gracie to come in and fight.
saemskin
3/13/08 8:02:30AM
I really hope this doesn't happen.
Anderson Silva is such a damn talented MMA fighter, I think it's crazy to put his reputation on the line like this. Why is he doing this!?>!?>!
jdp1975
3/13/08 11:35:29AM
if wrestlers can come over to mma why cant mma go to boxing? you guys sort of have a double standard when it caome to the boxing. you people talk that boxers and wrestlers will get killed in mma why not see this as a chance to see the best of both sports go at it. why would anderson lose credibility he is not a boxer but wants to try it out to see how good he is. win or lose he will still be the best in his weight class. who would of thought he would be where he is at today compared to the other pride fighters.
FantasyFighter
3/13/08 12:04:22PM
For those of you who think it will hurt his reputation, you are crazy. He is the best MW in MMA no doubt, but not boxing and everybody knows the difference. I think even most casual fans can recognize that and the ones who cant ... they already think Kimbo is the best P4P fighter today anyways so whatever.

Seriously though, I would love to see what Anderson could do. He is very athletic and everybody talks about his accuracy. Accuracy comes from the ability to very quickly read your opponents movement and react by throwing, lets say a punch for instance, where there is an opening. That is what he does best and I think that skill will directly translate to boxing.

Count me in for this one. I would definitely tune in.
saemskin
3/13/08 2:07:27PM
might have something to do with boxing being boring as hell.
wwf wrestling is just stupid
regular wrestling = boring also.

I'm not worried about his rep. I want to see him whip ass.
dust
3/13/08 2:19:49PM
Boxing is not boring.
Wrestling is not boring.

Getting absolutely destroyed by Roy Jones will not do any good for Anderson's reputation.
saemskin
3/13/08 10:46:18PM
haha.
My opinion determines my reality, as does yours. Thus the statements are true.
ryno18
3/14/08 9:20:03PM
silva can be beat here in the mma... lutter had him mounted and at one point OUT...slow the video down..and watch 4 yourself arms are stuck straight out stiff not defending for 6 7 punches to the face!! he hasnt faced the right fighter in the ufc... dan will be the man to beat him if he can get back up and get a rematch
Ben_Hutch
3/15/08 4:24:29PM
This will never happen

Fact
Bemin
3/15/08 7:00:14PM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

This will never happen

Fact

I agree, I doubt the UFC will allow him to fight elsewhere, and if this was to happen under the UFC banner how are they going to work out the pay? Jones gets 20 million (I very much doubt he would do it for less) and Silva gets what lets be generous here say 500k?