Shrimping drills?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Shrimping drills?
wasuppers
10/2/09 3:46:45AM
Hello all!

just wanted to know how long in duration should i drill shrimping and bridging exercises. i have just received Stephan Kesting dvd and there are about 20 or so drills for said drills. so how many mins per exercise and is it ok to drill everyday if i wanted to? thanks guys!!!!

BTW

is it a no no to use a judo gi for bjj? i really dont have 105 to spend on gi?
RyanC
10/2/09 5:34:50AM
I am still a novice to BJJ, but shrimping is something I have been working on a lot lately since one of my training partners has been able to get mount on me repeatedly during our grappling sessions. I typically will work on a drill for several minutes at least. 5 minutes per drill would maybe be a good number, but maybe some more experienced guys can chime in. I don't do a lot of work on drills by myself though. I'm typically working against someone.

Judo gi, and BJJ gi are not quite the same, but I guess it would depend on how strict your gym is on requirements. You can get another gi for way less that $105. www.centurymartialarts.com has lightweight BJJ gi's for like $35 bucks. Take a look. My guess is you can find something that will work for a reasonable price.
Rush
10/2/09 7:52:41AM
I agree with the above. Gotta do the drills with a partner, not solo. If I do these drills solo I get bored in about 5 seconds added to that there is no challenge.

About the Gi, I would like someone to chime in because I was under the impression that they were the same Gi. There are various grades of judo Gi and I figure all of them should or would be acceptabe in BJJ.
RyanC
10/2/09 12:14:07PM

Posted by Rush

I agree with the above. Gotta do the drills with a partner, not solo. If I do these drills solo I get bored in about 5 seconds added to that there is no challenge.

About the Gi, I would like someone to chime in because I was under the impression that they were the same Gi. There are various grades of judo Gi and I figure all of them should or would be acceptabe in BJJ.

I can speak to the Gi question. They are not the same Gi. Judo gi is typically a different cut. They are looser usually providing much more fabric for an opponent to work with. They look the same, but they are not cut the same. BJJ is typically going to be a much slimer, tighter, more snug fitting gi if it is sized to the individual properly.
Rush
10/4/09 9:11:30PM

Posted by RyanC

I can speak to the Gi question. They are not the same Gi. Judo gi is typically a different cut. They are looser usually providing much more fabric for an opponent to work with. They look the same, but they are not cut the same. BJJ is typically going to be a much slimer, tighter, more snug fitting gi if it is sized to the individual properly.

That's interesting. However, in all the years I did judo, any guy I fought that was black belt or higher had his gi on tighter than hell, which made it tough to get a grip on their lapel.

I'm not doubting your assessment, but I don't see the point of the different cut considering there are ways around it and a bigger cut is not advantageous to a judoka.
RyanC
10/4/09 10:14:29PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by RyanC

That's interesting. However, in all the years I did judo, any guy I fought that was black belt or higher had his gi on tighter than hell, which made it tough to get a grip on their lapel.

I'm not doubting your assessment, but I don't see the point of the different cut considering there are ways around it and a bigger cut is not advantageous to a judoka.

It's possible that I have been misinformed, but everything I have read or been told is that the cuts are different. I don't think it's a major difference, but I'm pretty sure there is a slight difference. It may only be around the cuff on the sleeve and pant.

I could be compeltely wrong. I'll have to look into some more, and see if I can find something to support this information.

I'm not trying to provide misinformation here.
Rush
10/4/09 10:27:47PM
I did a google search and saw this comment on one of the hits. The guy claims to do both

Judogis are more roomy in the above mentioned areas, because Judoka likes Opponents grabbing them so they can be thrown.

What I don't agree with is that in judo it is very important to get the first grip and many times the first grip will determine the winner.

I guess the only way would be to compare a olympic certified judo gi and compare its dimensions with an equivalent BJJ gi. I guess the problem would be defining the latter.
Svartorm
10/5/09 6:37:56PM
I'm from the catch wrestling background, and shrimping is paramount in that discipline, as we don't typically fight off our backs, but force transitions by shrimping and keeping an active guard. If you're fast as shrimping you can sometimes, using good upper body positioning and wrist control, "outrun" the guy on top and make a move to stand-up or at least fire a low level shot.

I don't have a problem doing it without someone on top, but its definitely a better work out if you have resistance and better for your overall game. If going solo, I like to line up gym mats into a 20' or so "lane" and shrimp from one end to the other, then work on going to a knee quickly and taking the back of your imaginary opponent. Then flip over and start down the other end of the lane. Not the most fun thing to do, but its an excellent core workout, as well as legs, and getting to a knee quickly is a very valuable skill.
madmarck
10/6/09 8:47:16PM
Yes Judo Gi's are bulkier and baggier. BJJ gi's are a bit more fitted.

in reality either would be okay for training in the other sport. but in the long run you want to invest in the approiate one. BJJ gi's are harder to grab in standup and judo gi's (i find) get in the way when training, such as getting your feet caught up when doing butterfly guard in the overly baggy croch area.

Shrimping is good to train on your own, but with a partner can give you a more real world idea on how it should be utilized when rolling. For Novice's partners can give feedback on what you are doing wrong and where to fix it.
jocka
10/8/09 2:36:58PM

Posted by madmarck

such as getting your feet caught up when doing butterfly guard in the overly baggy croch area.

If the coach area is too baggy maybe is not with the GI sorry i had too
Rush
10/8/09 3:09:00PM

Posted by madmarck

Yes Judo Gi's are bulkier and baggier. BJJ gi's are a bit more fitted.

In my judo experience the only part I could conceive being bigger or bulkier is the sleeve. Most of the higher ranked guys I fought had gis that were so tight they were like a second skin.