Showtime interested in MMA return – and eyeing Invicta Fighting Championships

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Showtime interested in MMA return – and eyeing Invicta Fighting Championships
grappler0000
6/29/13 9:46:38PM
Showtime might be interested in getting back in the MMA business, and if it is it may already have picked a top draft pick to partner with.

Showtime Sports Executive Vice President and General Manager Stephen Espinoza earlier this week, according to a report from FOX Sports Latino, said the premium cable network would consider a return to broadcasting MMA – and likes Invicta Fighting Championships as a possible promotion to team up with.

Showtime most recently broadcast MMA in January with Strikeforce's final card, which took place in Oklahoma City. After that, Strikeforce was folded into the UFC...

Full Story
frizzzlecake
6/29/13 11:22:06PM
Ole Dana ain't gon like dis.

Unless Showtime Let's Zuffa rent fighters.
george112
6/30/13 1:38:56AM
We will see how long itll last until the UFC buys Invicta
jjeans
6/30/13 5:57:18AM

Posted by george112

We will see how long itll last until the UFC buys Invicta

Interesting thought. I understand why they'd consider it if Invicta's ratings are successful over there. However I don't see the UFC buying out the whole organisation, there's a lot of weak talent in Invicta, and if they had to make room for the strikeforce roster by cutting Volkmann, Fitches, Sass and Etims then me personally I don't think the UFC want to see that backlash again nor do I really think the lower end girls have as high marketability unless they're attractive.

If Showtime was to take on Invicta I think we'd see the UFC consider more women's weight classes and slowly buy fighters from Invicta such as Cyborg, Coenen, Calderwood (hint hint) etc but buying out the whole organisation would give the UFC a really really weak talent pool.

And if the UFC does buy the stars out one at a time. I'm all for that.
shaneTpain
6/30/13 6:46:23AM
I hope it happens Those gals can throw down! & plus some of them are cute
prozacnation1978
6/30/13 1:57:41PM
One more MMA promotion on tv is good for me