Shorties

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Shorties
Majoraman
5/23/08 8:00:24AM
Hey Guys

I've just started training MMA around 3 months ago, and I'm wondering what type of opportunities there are in the sport for us shorter guys?, me being just under 5'7. Like I see that Sherk is like is like 5'6 and that gives a little hope, be good to hear about any other shorter guys, gets a bit intimidating haha
drunkel
5/23/08 8:15:32AM
watch the WEC they have midgets that fight in a cage, I think the next one is some guy named Jenns vs Faber. Both of them are 5'1".
WEC features the lighters weights like flyweights going at it, it looks like midgies with big heads punching one another.
Kracker_Jap
5/23/08 11:29:24AM
There are short guys all through the weight divisions as small a s Faber and as heavy as Monson.....

PS I'm screwed if 5'7 is short because thats about how tall I am....
drunkel
5/23/08 11:41:31AM
KJ quit following me and no you can't come to my party. After you tried to drink all of my beer and puked after having four, plus you tried to steal our ladies. Tried.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
waylon_o
5/23/08 12:21:24PM
Isn't Manny Gamburyan 5'4'' or 5'5''?
wolfman
5/23/08 12:58:13PM

Posted by waylon_o

Isn't Manny Gamburyan 5'4'' or 5'5''?

Yeah, that sounds about right.
drunkel
5/23/08 4:05:55PM
Manny won't go to any amusement parks because he can't meet the height requirements for the rides.
Kracker_Jap
5/23/08 11:33:43PM

Posted by drunkel

KJ quit following me and no you can't come to my party. After you tried to drink all of my beer and puked after having four, plus you tried to steal our ladies. Tried.

Haha I forgot about that night I guess thats what pictures are for

GOODTIMES
Evilwig
5/25/08 3:37:20AM
I think this league offer good opportunities
Link
fedorwins1
5/29/08 7:46:54PM
There are plenty of vertically challenged fighters who are great. You just have to use it to your advantage. Look at Marcus Hicks for example, and of course Sherk.
Jaxon
6/1/08 6:58:54AM
Heh, shortie over here :P ... 5"7 / 150lbs ...

One thing I've learned is, that being at my size, I had to learn to fight with proper technique & timing, I could not just rely on strength and size, which 'supposedly', a lot of the bigger guys do.

I wouldn't advertise myself as an MMA fighter, but when it comes to MMA competition, there are weight classes and strict rules, keeping it a more even and balanced fight, so if you do compete, it will be against people similar size to you.

On the street, there is a lot more to a fight than just height and weight, however I will admit being bigger and stronger would certainly be advantageous, real fights involve a lot more things to worry about, with no limitations to weapons, other people stepping in, eye gouging, groin shots, strikes to the neck etc etc

Be happy with who you are, and make do with what you got; work on your strengths and turn your weaknesses into opportunities and or strengths :)

PS: Pulver, Faber, Penn, Hughes, Sherk - just some examples of great fighters who are also quite short... their height never stopped them :)
dannyfrank
6/1/08 2:32:39PM
there's plenty of short guys that own, it just depends if you use it to your advantage