Former Shooto Champion Signs With UFC

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Former Shooto Champion Signs With UFC
DCRage
6/1/10 8:55:11AM
It was reported that former Shooto Welterweight Champion Willamy Friere (Chequerim) vacated his title Sunday after defending it due to signing an exclusive contract with another promotion that would prevent him from defending it. Turns out that promotion is UFC according to Nightmare Of Battle.
Friere is 17-2 career with 9 wins by submission (6 decisions, 2 KO/TKOs). Although his last fight was in Japan he's mostly fought in his native Brazil. He's won his last 11 fights, a streak dating back to September 2007, and although he held the Shooto Welterweight Title he'll be at Lightweight in UFC (In Shooto the WW division is 144-154).
http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Willamy-Freire-12553
His most notable wins seem to be over Yusuke Endo twice as well as the usual batch of Brazilians with the odd names, such as Cyborg Cyborg & Crapiuna Crapiuna. He's only 22 so he's probably got several good years left in him. He fights out of the Completa/Nova Uniao camp.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/1/10 11:58:20AM

Posted by DCRage
His most notable wins seem to be over Yusuke Endo twice as well as the usual batch of Brazilians with the odd names, such as Cyborg Cyborg & Crapiuna Crapiuna.

Priceless, I needed a laugh like this to start my day.
jae_1833
6/1/10 11:24:07PM
At least his notable losses aren't to cans....he may be a nice new prospect, remember Clay Guida still has a win against a Clay Guidiolla according to Sherdog, an 0-1 fighter!
BlueSkiesBurn
6/2/10 4:45:55PM

Man, I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for that conversation.
Management - "Alright Mr. Guida, we've found you a fight."
Clay - "Alright, I'll take it, who's it against?"
Management - "Uh, Clay Guidiolla"
Clay - "You're ******* kidding me, right? Did you search the planet for someone with the same name?"
DCRage
6/4/10 5:10:37PM
His first UFC fight appears set-Thiago Tavares. Expected at UFC On Versus 2.
warglory
6/13/10 8:04:20PM

Posted by DCRage

His first UFC fight appears set-Thiago Tavares. Expected at UFC On Versus 2.

Wow, they ain't messin' around, are they?