Shogun Training Elbows For Coleman

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Shogun Training Elbows For Coleman
MMAcca
10/14/08 3:53:55PM
Maurício "Shogun" Rua is practicing his elbow strikes in preparation for a bitter war with long-time adversary Mark ‘The Hammer’ Coleman, his coach has revealed.

The two will face off at UFC 93 in January in a rematch of their 2006 PRIDE FC meeting that left Rua with a broken arm and the two men as sworn rivals.

Mauricio Veio is training Shogun for the January fight and says his athlete “knows Coleman will go at him”.

PRIDE did not allow the use of elbows, but Rua is adapting quickly to the UFC ruleset and is already making them part of his game.

“He is training hard and will take The Hammer down and hit him with his elbows,” Veio revealed. “Shogun is ready for the worst situations in the fight."

Veio was a coach with Chute Boxe before leaving to join Shogun and Ninja at their new gym, Universidade da Luta (University of Fighting) earlier this year.

He is the brother of Andre ‘Dida’ Amade, who also left Chute Boxe to join Universidade da Luta.

LINK
McBee
10/14/08 4:05:42PM
training is better than breaking
ziegler3334
10/14/08 4:37:19PM
I cant wait for this fight. Shogun should dominate it from start to finish, which will be around the beginning of the second round (when an old mark coleman at 205 is completely gassed).

There is one thing that concerns me. We've seen a lot of fighters have to withdraw from a fight due to injury this past year. Liddell, Parisyan, now Sanchez, etc. If there was ever a fighter likely to get hurt before the fight, it coleman right now. With his age and weight cutting considered, i will not be surprised if he has to withdraw from this fight. Heres hoping that it'll happen tho.
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/15/08 12:43:59AM
poor Coleman...
saemskin
10/15/08 3:02:49AM

Posted by ziegler3334

I cant wait for this fight. Shogun should dominate it from start to finish, which will be around the beginning of the second round (when an old mark coleman at 205 is completely gassed).

There is one thing that concerns me. We've seen a lot of fighters have to withdraw from a fight due to injury this past year. Liddell, Parisyan, now Sanchez, etc. If there was ever a fighter likely to get hurt before the fight, it coleman right now. With his age and weight cutting considered, i will not be surprised if he has to withdraw from this fight. Heres hoping that it'll happen tho.

This is a tough accusation to make, but I really do think some fighters do get hurt on purpose to back out of the fight. I really think that was the case with Ken Shamrock last week and if Coleman gets injured and backs out, I'll say the same thing for him.
I have never ever been impressed with Colemans game. A big strong wrestler who never excelled in striking and never will, same thing with muai thai and JJ. If he can't take you down he can't win. But, he is sort of local to me and I know a couple guys who went to high school with him. From what I understand he's been a juicer all his life, so I am very curious to see how much mass he's lost in the transition from Pride to UFC.