Shogun Rua vs. Alexander Gustafsson Winner Gets Next UFC Light Heavyweight Title Shot

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Shogun Rua vs. Alexander Gustafsson Winner Gets Next UFC Light Heavyweight Title Shot
FastKnockout
12/6/12 8:56:56PM
The winner of the UFC on Fox 5 co-main event between Mauricio “Shogun” Rua and Alexander Gustafsson will be the next challenger to the UFC light heavyweight championship.

Link
sparky
12/6/12 9:17:57PM
I'm okay with this unless Hendo H-Bombs Machida. I truly believe that Hendo is most deserving of the title shot but, I think Machida is going to beat him on decision bad fight stylistically for Hendo in my opinion
Shawn91111
12/6/12 9:47:13PM

Posted by sparky

I'm okay with this unless Hendo H-Bombs Machida. I truly believe that Hendo is most deserving of the title shot but, I think Machida is going to beat him on decision bad fight stylistically for Hendo in my opinion

It got better for Hendo with it being a 3 round fight now. Not sure how Shogun deserves it more than Machida if both win their next fights
sbulldavid
12/6/12 11:02:29PM
I think Dana believes Gustaffson is going to win and that is who he wants to fight Jones, I think that's what we all want honestly.
sbulldavid
12/6/12 11:04:30PM

Posted by sbulldavid

I think Dana believes Gustaffson is going to win and that is who he wants to fight Jones, I think that's what we all want honestly.

Oops........I mean that's who we want to see fight Sonnen for the belt
tallica62
12/6/12 11:04:43PM
Riddle me this batman:

Phil Davis defeats Gustafsson. Davis loses to Rashad Evans via decision.

Gustafsson loses to Phil Davis. Gustafsson gets potential title shot.

Yes, you can say maybe Phil would have gotten the title had he beat Rashad, BUT Rashad wasn't given that opportunity, and it was never even in the talks.
jae_1833
12/6/12 11:12:23PM
Simple MMAMath really, Rashad just had a shot against Jones....watch and riddle this: Shogun beats Gus and/or Machida beats Hendo and one of them (who also recently lost to Jones) gets a title shot.
kingsmasher
12/7/12 12:36:13AM
The UFC is praying well Dana is praying Shogun loses...Its just not good for the sport to have another title fight when a guy lost so decisively...

I personally think Shogun could beat GUs if hes 100% serious...
Im considering some real money on Shogun and hoped the Road to the Octagon was gonna show him working his but off...I didnt get that feeling at all...
but sitting on the couch playing video games with his gf didnt exactly stoke me Shogun is serious...

I think hes overlooking Gus and think its gonna be an easy fight for him...

To want a rematch with Jones like he claims to want Shogun should seek out some serious wrestling partners...I think Jones will trade with anyone for a round or two but the smallest sign its not going his way hes putting you on your back..
Bustamante-Aoki
12/7/12 1:21:29AM
I don't think Shoguns knees are strong enough for him to train his ass off anymore. The motivation and willpower are still there but his body just isn't.

Dana will just change his mind if Shogun wins. Hendo and Lyoto were both supposed to be next in line and now its Gus or Shogun. Dana isn`t worried about contradicting himself.

Lyoto said he doesn't want a re-match yet. He doesn't want to lose twice to Jones because then he might never get another shot at him. He wants to work more on figuring Jones out before he takes the re-match. The chances of Hendo beating Machida are very slim IMO so Dana should be alright there.

If Shogun beats Gus and Lyoto beats Hendo but still wants to wait, then the UFC might as well give Shogun a shot again.`He`s not getting any younger and his knees don`t seem to be getting better so it makes more sense for Shogun to get a re-match sooner rather than later.
tcunningham
12/7/12 2:44:01AM
would rather see hendo, hopefully if shogun gets the shot he'll come in 100% i dont think either will take the title from jones (assuming chael doesn't take that belt).
aussiemma
12/7/12 6:50:01AM
pulling for the mauler in this one....really do not want to see shogun against jones again. Surprisingly like to see chael vs jones over shogun vs jones. Huh..who da thunk it ?
BillsNewAccount
12/7/12 11:33:26AM
Cormier and Mussassi could both give JJ a challenge.

That is what I want to see.
40ouncetofreedom
12/7/12 11:36:06AM
If Hendo and Shogun both lose.I'd be down for Hendo V Shogun 2
jakewalters
12/7/12 11:39:47AM
Hendo getting shafted again
BuffaloDave
12/7/12 12:32:47PM
Not a fan of this, jumping the gun on announcing a #1 contender, I think the #1 contender should be decided after the Hendo/Machida fight. Whoever has the better win, should receive the next title shot.
Dberntson
12/7/12 12:37:48PM
Personally I think Dana is just trying to hype the fight to the casual fans and boost ratings. He is also trying to encourage Gustafsson and Shogun to perform well on the Fox card. The timing isnt right for the winner of this fight to get the next shot at Jones. Jones doesnt fight until april, that means the winner would have to sit out 8 - 10 months before they fight again, barring no injuries. I think the timing is better for the winner of Hendo/Machida for the next fight with Jones.
Poor_Franklin
12/7/12 2:27:42PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Not a fan of this, jumping the gun on announcing a #1 contender, I think the #1 contender should be decided after the Hendo/Machida fight. Whoever has the better win, should receive the next title shot.

it's not like Dana has ever had a problem on going back on his word.

he'll probably give me the next title shot as soon as he hears all the shit i've been talking. i've failed a drug test recently & am coming off of a loss, so that should put me in the front of the line
isk
12/7/12 2:58:01PM

Posted by tallica62

Riddle me this batman:

Phil Davis defeats Gustafsson. Davis loses to Rashad Evans via decision.

Gustafsson loses to Phil Davis. Gustafsson gets potential title shot.

Yes, you can say maybe Phil would have gotten the title had he beat Rashad, BUT Rashad wasn't given that opportunity, and it was never even in the talks.

Eh.

Rashad got the next title shot, less than 3 months after busting up Davis. Can't ask for a better timeframe than that.

Phil Davis isn't in the title talk at all right now. He was given a likeable but overmatched striker in the next fight. Davis threw Prado around like a pillow all night.

The Davis / Gustafsson was almost 3 years ago. Since then, Gustafsson has won 5 straight against decent guys. He's also one of the few LHWs with the frame and striking prowess to threaten Bones, though I think he could lose on the feet and would certainly be outclassed on the ground. If he wins the next fight (which I think he will, barring Shogun's knees miraculously rejuvenating), he'll not only have beaten a top 10 guy but the former champ that the current champ beat.

I still feel that Hendo is the more exciting fight for Bones, but we know what happened there. And he's still got go to through Machida, who I agree is a terrible opponent for him. Gustafsson would make sense presuming he wins.

Shogun? Well, that's another story. If he looks like he has since losing the belt, well, I'd be a little uncomfortable seeing him fight Bones again.
jay98107
12/7/12 3:25:10PM
If you listen closely, you can hear Henderson getting fucked. Imagine, if Shogun wins this fight he's going to a get a title shot over the last guy that beat him.
isk
12/7/12 5:16:56PM
If Hendo does the impossible and beats Machida, especially with the H-Bomb, he's getting a title shot. Really he fucked himself, especially by reporting the injury so late.
Shawn91111
12/7/12 5:48:08PM

Posted by isk

If Hendo does the impossible and beats Machida, especially with the H-Bomb, he's getting a title shot. Really he fucked himself, especially by reporting the injury so late.

'

I really fail to see how Hendo fucked himself in this
isk
12/7/12 7:06:01PM
It's not the injury that's the problem. It's that he waited so long to report it to Zuffa, which contributed to the Sept fiasco.

The crazy thing is that it's totally understandable. Hendo's heart seems to have been in the right place. Keep training, see how it is, try to tough it out because it's a big fight people want to see (and one I'm sure Hendo wants dearly). And so much of what happened afterwards was out of his control. No one person is solely at fault here.

But not letting his employers know until a week before that he'd been disabled for some time, that's the kind of thing I'd get slapped for at my job. Not even a, "hey guys, just torqued my knee, gonna try to work through it but you might want to talk to Bones about a possible replacement." Maybe Bones still declines to fight the replacement on short notice, but then it's 100% on him.

So I wouldn't be surprised if this Shogun/Gustafsson title talk had a bit to do with Dana & co. not being 100% happy with Hendo at the moment. It's petty, it's theory, but worse has happened for less in the UFC.
Shawn91111
12/7/12 9:11:21PM

Posted by isk

It's not the injury that's the problem. It's that he waited so long to report it to Zuffa, which contributed to the Sept fiasco.

The crazy thing is that it's totally understandable. Hendo's heart seems to have been in the right place. Keep training, see how it is, try to tough it out because it's a big fight people want to see (and one I'm sure Hendo wants dearly). And so much of what happened afterwards was out of his control. No one person is solely at fault here.

But not letting his employers know until a week before that he'd been disabled for some time, that's the kind of thing I'd get slapped for at my job. Not even a, "hey guys, just torqued my knee, gonna try to work through it but you might want to talk to Bones about a possible replacement." Maybe Bones still declines to fight the replacement on short notice, but then it's 100% on him.

So I wouldn't be surprised if this Shogun/Gustafsson title talk had a bit to do with Dana & co. not being 100% happy with Hendo at the moment. It's petty, it's theory, but worse has happened for less in the UFC.

But he's fought with injuries a lot. He had the bad back and the meds that made him retain the water in the weight cut with Jake Shields, a shoulder injury in the Rampage fight. Why give that information out to the other camp if Henderson is able to pull through in time for the fight?
isk
12/7/12 10:41:19PM
Good point. Equally important to note that each of those fights were clear losses. Also, he'd already have been the slower fighter when healthy; a busted knee would've made him a walking target for Bones. Can't throw the H-Bomb when either leg won't support the big shift in weight.