Shogun vs. Rampage 2

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Shogun vs. Rampage 2
chickmagnet
4/20/09 11:46:19PM
I definitely think this fight should happen. I wasn't too impressed with Rampage in his last fight with Jardine compared to the other performances that he has had. I didn't think Shogun would regain the form that he had in Pride but he proved me wrong.

I think Rampage will want to try and avenge this loss rather than fight for the title, and I know Shogun's confidence is soaring right now. Shogun's head movement was very nice, and his leg kicks and avoidance were excellent as well.

My prediction for this would be a very exciting fight. After watching Rampage's fights with Forrest, Wand, and Jardine, Rampage doesn't seem to like to check leg kicks. This is bad when he is fighting the best Muay Thai guy in the division. I believe Shogun's Muay Thai could hang with guys like Anderson, and K-1 guys. Plus Shogun has very good takedowns. The last man to hit a double leg TD on Chuck was Randy. I cant believe Shogun took Chuck down, he wasn't able to hold him but it is still pretty amazing. I wouldn't be surprised to see Shogun take Quinton down. Quinton is always pretty crisp in his technique, but only attacks with punches. Shogun attacks with everything. I see see Shogun wearing that lead leg down in the first round, and come out with crisp punches and kicks in round two avoiding all of Rampage's hooks, then possibly getting a Thai Clinch and finishing in a brutal tko finish.

Shogun by tko in Round 2
ravanunen
4/21/09 12:52:43AM
I agree that this would be an interesting rematch, but i don't think Rua is ready to face Page yet. I'm a fan of both, but I think Page ahead of Rua. I really want to see Rua take on Jon Jones, it'd be a good test for both of them--mainly jones though
loller90278
4/21/09 12:53:47AM
this post isnt directly at you chickmagnet but i love how everyones on the shogun bandwagon again.

before the chuck fight it was "shogun has no chance, shogun will get KO'd".. now Shogun can win the LHW belt....
chickmagnet
4/21/09 1:07:10AM

Posted by loller90278

this post isnt directly at you chickmagnet but i love how everyones on the shogun bandwagon again.

before the chuck fight it was "shogun has no chance, shogun will get KO'd".. now Shogun can win the LHW belt....

You are right, everyone is hopping the bandwagon. I didn't hop the Band Wagon. I said Chuck would beat Shogun out of hope. I am a hardcore Iceman fan, and didn't want to see him retire. I believe Shogun has always been skilled, I knew he had a great chance against Liddell, I just wanted Chuck to win. But I knew all Shogun had to do to be great again was condition himself and thats what he did.

I knew Shogun wasn't over with. I knew he would eventually(even if he lost to Chuck) would regain the form that he had in Pride. I think the Shogun we all saw friday night could beat Griffin, and KO Coleman much quicker and muh more fashionable.
cmill21
4/21/09 5:07:33AM
Jon Jones is not anywhere near Shoguns level and shoulden't get that fight until he works through a few more guys.
Dragoslav
4/21/09 9:03:01AM
Chuck's mystical takedown defense is somewhat misleading. Yes, it's good. But it's looked better than it really is because Chuck was fighting people who's striking he didn't have to respect. It's much easier to stuff the takedown when you know it's all they have. He had to respect Shogun's striking.
gartface
4/21/09 9:50:02AM

Posted by Dragoslav

Chuck's mystical takedown defense is somewhat misleading. Yes, it's good. But it's looked better than it really is because Chuck was fighting people who's striking he didn't have to respect. It's much easier to stuff the takedown when you know it's all they have. He had to respect Shogun's striking.

Mystical? Does he use dragons and magic to keep it on the feet?

I'm not entirely sure Shogun is ready for Rampage. I still think that it should be Shogun vs. Banha.
NatedawgThaM
4/21/09 3:20:17PM
I think the new technical Rampage would KO him like he did to Wandy at 92. I think just the old brawler Rampage who just always ran at you was just a bad match up against The Chutebox guys because all he did was throw punches and haymakers at that and that was really all he did on the feet in PRIDE and the Chutebox guys were more versitile in their striking with kicks and knees so they were able to take him out with versatility.

But the new Rampage that's more techical with his boxing I think would KO him because he'll find the right places to put his punches and I think he can definitely catch him. Even though I do miss the PRIDE Rampage though with all his slams and everything, with that style he definitely would have KO'd Jardine in the 1st. Even as a hardcore Rampage fan I don't believe it was a bad fight because he overtrained, but more because he wouldn't let his hands go and wanted to be technical which is a HORRIBLE idea against Jardine who murders everybody else that just doesn't run at him and just stays in front of him. But that too was I think more becausehe was scared Rampage was just going to unload on him early which gave that 1st round up to Rampage.
mkiv9secsupra
4/21/09 4:37:12PM
Shogun won his last fight with Rampage because he got Page in the Thai clinch and broke his rib. He never once was even remotely close to even rocking Jackson. With Jackson's more technical striking, he is going to counter Shoguns sloppy hook and blast him with a counter hook or uppercut and KO him in the second round.

Shogun beat Liddell but lets be clear, he did NOT look amazing in the fight.
FedortoAll
4/21/09 5:36:26PM
The new and improved Shogun could give Rampage **** fits, especially with those leg kicks he chopped Chuck down with early. I'd prefer to see Shogun get another win over someone like Luiz Cane before taking on a top contender like Rampage, just doesn't seem like a fair trade for Quinton to give Shogun a crack at his #1 contender spot.
cmill21
4/21/09 6:22:58PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Shogun won his last fight with Rampage because he got Page in the Thai clinch and broke his rib. He never once was even remotely close to even rocking Jackson. With Jackson's more technical striking, he is going to counter Shoguns sloppy hook and blast him with a counter hook or uppercut and KO him in the second round.

Shogun beat Liddell but lets be clear, he did NOT look amazing in the fight.

I dunno I thought Shogun looked great. He used the shell defense awsome, hell looked like Remy Bonjasky in there lol. Lets get real here for a second, I will believe Rampage can beat Shogun when I see him check a kick. Shogun took Chucks lead leg out with what 4 kicks? People don't realize that Shogun is a damn hard kicker it seems.
bls1919
4/21/09 7:09:05PM
I think it would be a great fight, but isn't Page supposed to get the next title shot, after Machida? Saw it on cagepotato today. Either way i would like to see shogun fight top caliber guys and keep winning. Maybe the winner of Silva vs Forrest and a possible rematch with Griffin.
mrsmiley
4/21/09 7:11:40PM
It would be a good fight, but I say Rampage wins this bout.
His stand up has evolved quiet a ways and I don't think Shogun could really suprise him with anything in his stand up aresenal.

Rampage round 2 TKO.
Mattchoo
4/21/09 7:13:04PM
Form is temporary, class is permanent

Shogun bandwaggon anyone?
chickmagnet
4/21/09 7:28:21PM

Posted by mrsmiley

His stand up has evolved quiet a ways and I don't think Shogun could really suprise him with anything in his stand up aresenal.

Rampage round 2 TKO.

Except brutal leg kicks which Rampage always seems a little surprised with
Aaronyman
4/21/09 7:46:38PM
Could be a great rematch, not sure if Shogun deserves him yet though.. seeing as Rampage is the #1 contender behind Machida. I expect Shogun to fight Luiz Cane or Jardine next.
Pookie
4/21/09 7:54:19PM
Rampage's accuracy and power have never been better then they are right now, and with that said id still pick shogun to beat him.
Rampage has the power to catch any fighter and put them out but when fighters use good footwork and a large arsenal of unpredictable strikes he doesnt throw nearly as much as fighters that get predictable and he can time with something vicious.
Shogun moves around well, has a larger range to strike at, and can always grab the clinch if rampage over commits charging in.

And as far as the shogun/wanderlei comparision, shogun has never fought like wanderlei on his feet IMO. Their both from chuteboxe but they fight very differently and have different weaknesses.
Aaronyman
4/21/09 7:57:37PM
I agree that there are differences, but both were sloppy aggressive strikers that relied on overwhelming their opponents. Shogun looked like a completely different striker against Liddell on saturday, way more technical than ever before.
Pookie
4/21/09 8:05:56PM

Posted by Aaronyman

I agree that there are differences, but both were sloppy aggressive strikers that relied on overwhelming their opponents. Shogun looked like a completely different striker against Liddell on saturday, way more technical than ever before.

Shogun never had the holes defensively that wandy did. Wandy just continually threw like a helicopter blade when you stayed in his range, decimating anything in his path. Shogun has liked to pick his shots in a more sporadic manner whilst throwing in the occasional combo, and has been that way since his pride days.
I suggest you re-watch the rogerio fight if you really think hes never been that technical before saturday.
Bloodhound
4/21/09 8:14:02PM
i am a huge fan of both....they are both in my top 4 favorites but i don't think Shogun's ready yet...Shogun's kicks would be a problem for Rampage but i don't see Shogun taking Rampage down like the original post said. and with Rampage's punch power he can put ANYONE down. and now that hes technical and not a brawler like in PRIDE he is a tough match up for alot of guys.
sparky
4/21/09 8:19:26PM
I honestly believe Shogun is just bad for rampage style wise..... I think Shogun would take Rampage in the rematch!!!!!!
Styles
4/21/09 10:55:47PM
To be quite honest, I havent really been impressed with Rampage. I think his best fight was against Forrest. The Jardine fight seemed a bit sluggish to me, the Wandy wasn't very impressive and niether was his fight with Chuck. Chuck is just a better version of Wandy imo. With that said, I am a big fan of Shogun, but i didn't think he was going to be ready for Chuck yet. I am glad that Shogun won because he is going to get better. It sucks to see Chuck lose and hopefully he will come back for atleast one more fight with the lower comp.

I think that it is only a matter of time before we see Shogun/Forrest 2 and Shogun/Rampage 2. It is hard to say at this point who would win. I feel that if Shogun stays healthy and trains hard, that he could be the one to beat Machida. I dont feel that anyone else in the division can do that right now.... thatis just my opinion.

I think Shogun should get Jardine next. Its too bad we couldn't see Shogun fight someone like Sobral right now, I think that would be the perfect test for him after he beat Soko.
cmill21
4/21/09 11:02:25PM
Rampages two glaring weaknesses are checking kicks, and the thai clinch....Thats why i'd pick Shogun....then again I think Shogun healthy and in shape destroy's any LHW.
chickmagnet
4/27/09 1:26:23PM

Posted by Styles

To be quite honest, I havent really been impressed with Rampage. I think his best fight was against Forrest. The Jardine fight seemed a bit sluggish to me, the Wandy wasn't very impressive and niether was his fight with Chuck. Chuck is just a better version of Wandy imo. With that said, I am a big fan of Shogun, but i didn't think he was going to be ready for Chuck yet. I am glad that Shogun won because he is going to get better. It sucks to see Chuck lose and hopefully he will come back for atleast one more fight with the lower comp.

I think that it is only a matter of time before we see Shogun/Forrest 2 and Shogun/Rampage 2. It is hard to say at this point who would win. I feel that if Shogun stays healthy and trains hard, that he could be the one to beat Machida. I dont feel that anyone else in the division can do that right now.... thatis just my opinion.

I think Shogun should get Jardine next. Its too bad we couldn't see Shogun fight someone like Sobral right now, I think that would be the perfect test for him after he beat Soko.

The best we have ever seen Rampage is against Hendo. That by far was his best performance. Since than he has been a little bit different. He was lightning quick against Hendo and in the best shape of his life. Agaisnt Forrest and Jardine it seemed like he had a little trouble pulling the trigger on his shots. Rampage I garuntee would come out against Shogun like he did against Wandy. But all I know is would be an interesting fight. But I would lean towards Shogun, just like I said in the first post.
mrsmiley
4/27/09 3:03:25PM

Posted by chickmagnet

Posted by mrsmiley

Rampage round 2 TKO.

Except brutal leg kicks which Rampage always seems a little surprised with

Yeah you do have a point.

But he'll expect them with Shogun.

Or dear lord I hope he would anyway.
ufcfighter
5/1/09 8:49:16AM
interesting match... that is way better than wand... he has to earn a shot at wand, shogun and page is perfect, winner should be next inline 4 a title shot ...
sbulldavid
5/28/09 2:00:41AM
Proud to say that I never bailed on Shogun . I know what it's like to lose your stamina because you get injured and can't train properly . Coleman was just a bad matchup for him to begin with . Now that I got that out of the way , yeah he looked great, but Liddel had no business in the ring with him . Dana thought it was an easy KO for Chuck . He needs to fight somebody like Rich Franklin so we can really evaluate where he is. I think Rich is still a great fighter ,but his championship days are done as long as Anderson is champ , but he makes a great gate keeper at LHW . Then we'll talk about Rampage .
sbulldavid
5/28/09 2:05:08AM
Doesn't Shogun seem like Wandy's avenging angel LOL .