Shogun vs Machida

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Shogun vs Machida
POLL: Who Wins if they do fight
Shogun 49% (27)
Machida 51% (28)
tlangley
9/22/08 7:33:21PM
I heard Shogun will make his return to the UFC against Machida at UFC 92. I know I heard talk about them fighting at UFC 76, But anyone heard anything about this. If they do end up fighting, who you got?
haggiswashere
9/22/08 7:34:58PM
Shogun wins. but if it was a foot race thats a different story
CantAndleDaRiddum
9/22/08 7:38:09PM
i'll take shogun against whoever the ufc throws at him
StorminYourman
9/22/08 7:58:38PM
Should be a great fight. I got Machida by KO.
juanez13
9/22/08 8:01:42PM
Shogun would have to be 100% going into this fight, if his knee isnt 100% (which there is a possibility it may be permanent damage) he wont be agile/quick enough to catch machida. If he is good to go, i'd go with Shogun.
breakdown5
9/22/08 8:20:16PM
As long as the old shogun shows up ready to destroy, Machida will get the first loss of his career. I hope that knee is 100%, because if he comes in on a bum knee Machida will probably get another UD.
casey64
9/22/08 10:32:24PM
Shogun wins!!!
AxeMurderer97
9/22/08 11:19:31PM
I want to see a 100% Shogun
Sensoria
9/22/08 11:32:03PM
Your not talking about Shogun thrown with guys from other times. We're talking right now. And these are two of my favorite fighters, Im talking Machida every time, and I will until Shogun shows a lot of improvement. Because of how much I like these fighters, Id have mixed feelings rooting. Would be an incredible mathcup.
Twenty20Dollars
9/22/08 11:50:41PM
I would hate to have to face shogun at 100% after coming off a big loss to forrest. I think shogun would just dominate machida.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
9/22/08 11:56:45PM
Machida would outstrike shogun, can avoid being taken down with his sumo skills .shogun likes to rush in wild so he might get ko'd . i would pick machida for a ud . 2 of my favourite fighters very evenly matched.
Wolfenstein
9/23/08 12:08:12AM
These two match up really well. Both are undersized LHW's with a lot of speed. It's really the ideal matchup for Machida because in order to counter he needs an aggressive opponent. As we've seen when Machida doesn't have an aggressive opponent the pace can be sluggish because if he can't counter he's going to feint until he finds an opening.

Someone is getting knocked out in this fight. Machida will be at his best against an aggressive fighter like Shogun, but Shogun is quick enough to catch Machida backing up when he lands.

In the end I have to go with Machida by TKO. We'll see a more aggressive Machida, and he'll catch Shogun with a straight left on the chin in the late 2nd.
Branwest
9/23/08 3:22:04PM
Wow, these are among two of my favorite fighters. If Shogun isn't 100%, he needs to wait though. I agree with comment above, Shogun is so aggressive, and Machida is a counter-striker and would eventually catch Shogun walking into something.
mkiv9secsupra
9/23/08 4:11:16PM
Shogun wins if he his knee is ok. Shogun can cut off Machida from circling the enitre fight unlike Ortiz and Soko.

BUT i think this fight is not going to happen anytime soon.....
Pookie
9/23/08 4:19:55PM
I said from day 1 that i will pick machida always until he fights a striker whos technically sound defensively, can strike from the outside with kicks, and has the explosiveness to catch him.

Shogun is the embodiment of the fighter that will cause machida problems.
Taylor8766
9/25/08 10:58:55AM
Man I dont think you can get any closer than that
copcopps
9/25/08 12:40:50PM

Posted by Pookie

No, Machida's style is tailor-made for Shogun's. Counter-striker over striker.

Plus Shogun seems very suspect on the cardio department ever since he broke his arm.

Machida via UD
Pookie
9/25/08 1:55:16PM

Posted by copcopps

Posted by Pookie

No, Machida's style is tailor-made for Shogun's. Counter-striker over striker.

Plus Shogun seems very suspect on the cardio department ever since he broke his arm.

Machida via UD

look deeper into it.

Shoguns stand-up defense and accuracy with his hands gives him the tools to get in and land shots consistently, then from the outside his kicks give him range to attack machida without worry of the counter punch.

Shoguns cardio looked bad in one fight...
Boo_Radley21
9/25/08 2:10:25PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

i'll take shogun against whoever the ufc throws at him

except griffin
copcopps
9/25/08 2:27:22PM

Posted by Pookie

Hmmm

against Nakamura he gassed, same with Overeem
Pookie
9/25/08 2:35:29PM

Posted by copcopps

Posted by Pookie

Hmmm

against Nakamura he gassed, same with Overeem

which overeem fight? the one where he mounts him and pound him into the mat for a few minutes or the one where he knocked him out from guard 3 minutes into it? Everytime he fought overeem he was battered until alistair gassed. where does it look like he gassed in those fights?

Never saw the nakamura fight, cant comment on it.
copcopps
9/25/08 2:42:55PM
More the Nakamura fight than the Overeem fight, which IMO ended early (I'm talking about the latest one)
gsquat
9/25/08 2:55:40PM
This poll is skewed by people's hopes. From an unbiased view, Machida wins via any number of ways.
D0wnUnd6e6r
9/25/08 3:17:11PM
wow, so many people have shogun... machida takes this via elusiveness
Pookie
9/25/08 3:31:17PM

Posted by copcopps

More the Nakamura fight than the Overeem fight, which IMO ended early (I'm talking about the latest one)

The fight where overeem takes that overhand right on his jaw from guard, followed by the left cross that causes overeems mouthpiece to fall out?

Do you really think overeem wasnt out after that?