Shogun's knee

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Shogun's knee
CantAndleDaRiddum
3/5/08 12:59:23PM
Let me start by saying, "F*** F*** F*** F***!"

So Shogun tore his knee up again & it got me thinking. It is very rare in football that a person can tear up the same knee 2x within a year & come back the same player, much less come back at all.

Is anyone else concerned about the possibility that he may not fight again?

i have never torn anything in my knee, but know knee problems are a bitch & if he does comeback does anyone really expect him to be the same shogun he was before the injury?
bullettdodger
3/5/08 1:05:39PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

Let me start by saying, "F*** F*** F*** F***!"

So Shogun tore his knee up again & it got me thinking. It is very rare in football that a person can tear up the same knee 2x within a year & come back the same player, much less come back at all.

Is anyone else concerned about the possibility that he may not fight again?

i have never torn anything in my knee, but know knee problems are a bitch & if he does comeback does anyone really expect him to be the same shogun he was before the injury?

Problem with this question... is that we won't know till he does coem back, i expect the usual "Surgery went great, rehab is going well. I hope to be fighting again soon in the coming weeks" so we really won't know until he does fight again... i don't see shogun letting his knee prevent him from getting back into the octagon, whether he is the same Shogun Rua... we'll just have to wait and see.

edit
PS im with you on the

Let me start by saying, "F*** F*** F*** F***!
I had Shogun over Chuck
CantAndleDaRiddum
3/5/08 1:10:18PM

I had Shogun over Chuck

ditto
hathcock32
3/5/08 1:13:02PM
His knee started to hurt agian when he found out he was fighting Chuck.
pv3Hpv3p
3/5/08 1:15:30PM
The one plus is that he's still relatively young... So healing might not be that bad of a process... Of course he needs to get good surgery and rehab very carefully...

I dont want to even think that this might be a career ending type thing for Rua... It would be a DAMN shame... I'll just wait it out, cross my fingers and hope we get to see Shogun back in the cage soon...
CantAndleDaRiddum
3/5/08 1:16:04PM

Posted by hathcock32

damn i shoulda put intelligent posters only
hathcock32
3/5/08 1:21:32PM
yea maybe that would of worked.
bullettdodger
3/5/08 1:26:28PM

Posted by hathcock32

yea maybe that would of worked.

tuvok500
3/5/08 1:38:03PM

Posted by hathcock32

CantAndleDaRiddum
3/5/08 1:41:06PM
God this thread turned to shit......i can still smell chucks nuts on y'alls breath

this place is turning into sherdog
ToeZup
3/5/08 2:32:58PM
This is such bad news. Chances are he won't come back the same fighter if he ever comes back. Every opponent he faces will target his knee to get the win and that would just about do it.

It's too bad. Shogun is a great fighter. It just looks like his time is up.
juanez13
3/5/08 2:38:50PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

The one plus is that he's still relatively young... So healing might not be that bad of a process... Of course he needs to get good surgery and rehab very carefully...

I dont want to even think that this might be a career ending type thing for Rua... It would be a DAMN shame... I'll just wait it out, cross my fingers and hope we get to see Shogun back in the cage soon...

agree. I think with him being as young as he is, the healing process will be much easier than it would be to someone like randy, shogun has suffered some bad injuries, like the broken arm against coleman, but im sure he wil return , again the question is whether he will be the same, maybe he will be more tentative so that he doesnt get injure or maybe not, right now for him is all mental, wether he think he can perform at the same level as before or if he is doubting himself, we have seen what happens when fighter change alot only because of their mental status like Arlovski, and people may not realize but GSP changed a bit after his loss to serra, as fitch pointed out, after his loss to serra, GSP has become a wresteler, and is more unwilling to strike. I know im gonna get flammed for this, but its just something i've noticed too.
Pookie
3/5/08 2:39:59PM
Never say never guys...
whardin19
3/5/08 2:52:33PM

Posted by hathcock32

Wow! Those are harsh words right there! I don't think Shogun is ducking Chuck. He's a tough guy been in there with top competition. But bad news this knee seems like it could be a reacurring problem.
Pookie
3/5/08 2:57:03PM
any guy who was willing to fight on a leg with a torn ligament in that knee has heart. More heart than 99% of people in the world are capable of understanding.
He's not ducking anyone, and its ridiculous to say so.
bullettdodger
3/5/08 3:01:44PM

Posted by Pookie

any guy who was willing to fight on a leg with a torn ligament in that knee has heart. More heart than 99% of people in the world are capable of understanding.
He's not ducking anyone, and its ridiculous to say so.

cmill21
3/5/08 3:13:03PM
I bet he is ducking Chuck. He's probably thinking OMG the guy I destroyed KO'd this guy in seconds so I have no chance. Most fighters do mention mmamath, and ussually take common opponents into consideration when they work on game plans. Sorry guys, shogun's not scared of anyone, especially a guy who has tons of holes(one of which is Shogun's strenght, kicks!).
Pookie
3/5/08 3:15:23PM

Posted by cmill21

I bet he is ducking Chuck. He's probably thinking OMG the guy I destroyed KO'd this guy in seconds so I have no chance. Most fighters do mention mmamath, and ussually take common opponents into consideration when they work on game plans. Sorry guys, shogun's not scared of anyone, especially a guy who has tons of holes(one of which is Shogun's strenght, kicks!).

Shogun is a much better kicker than Jardine IMO
bullettdodger
3/5/08 9:41:29PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by cmill21

Shogun is a much better kicker than Jardine IMO

But not after a ruptured ACL lol, i wonder if his kicks will have the same "snap" to them after all this surgery...
Pookie
3/5/08 9:45:15PM
is left knee. Could pose alot of problems with his explosiveness as that is his lead leg.
JoyDivision
3/6/08 1:08:07AM
I am so disappointed Shogun/Liddell isn't happening. I picked Shogun to win, and I thought he'd be able to prove to everyone that the best of Shogun was yet to come. I'm just hoping he'll be able to fight again. Even if he does, I don't think he'll ever bee completely 100%. I've heard a ruptured ACL is very serious, especially if it happens twice on the same knee. My friend's father ruptured his ACL twice and limps when he walks.

Funny how some think Shogun is ducking Chuck. I've read somewhere Chuck didn't want to fight in London and if he did, he didn't want to fight someone of Shogun's caliber.
telnights
3/6/08 1:43:09AM
I can tell you a bad ACL is what ended my wrestling career. I tore it had surgery then tore it again. The 2nd time I was told it would always be a problem. I went to MMA training a year later and never was as good at wrestling as I was back before my knee problems. I was young at the time but It always was a problem from then on and I get a feeling it will be for Shogun as well. I don't think he will ever be the same from this. But maybe he will get lucky and it isn't as bad as mine was.
bullettdodger
3/6/08 1:44:44AM

Posted by telnights

I can tell you a bad ACL is what ended my wrestling career. I tore it had surgery then tore it again. The 2nd time I was told it would always be a problem. I went to MMA training a year later and never was as good at wrestling as I was back before my knee problems. I was young at the time but It always was a problem from then on and I get a feeling it will be for Shogun as well. I don't think he will ever be the same from this. But maybe he will get lucky and it isn't as bad as mine was.

Man, that sucks, how did you do it?
gartface
3/6/08 1:57:01AM

Posted by telnights

It's a very tough injury to get over. They say the recovery process after the surgery is about 6 months, and it takes probably another 6 months to get back to where you were.
A lot of football players have the tendency to tear the same ligament over and over again.
Garrison Hearst said at one point after tearing his knee up that his ligaments were the consistency of toothpaste.
IMO Shogun rushed back, and probably should've taken time off and should've never fought Forrest with that knee messed up in the first place.
telnights
3/6/08 2:23:12AM

Posted by gartface
It's a very tough injury to get over. They say the recovery process after the surgery is about 6 months, and it takes probably another 6 months to get back to where you were.
A lot of football players have the tendency to tear the same ligament over and over again.
Garrison Hearst said at one point after tearing his knee up that his ligaments were the consistency of toothpaste.
IMO Shogun rushed back, and probably should've taken time off and should've never fought Forrest with that knee messed up in the first place.

Yeah tell me about it. I don't know how in the hell he fought the first time on a bad one. I met few guys that have done it before and got over it but most that do it more than once have problems with it forever. But I think your right I think Shogun rushed it and I get a feeling he is going to pay for that the rest of his life. But I sure hope he gets back to his old self it sucks to see a fighter go down hill over something like this.

Posted by bullettdodger

Just in practice was shooting in for take down the first time and heard a pop and felt real bad pain in my knee and leg. The 2nd time I was making weight jogging and my knee started hurting real bad.

Its funny it even affect me while I was a cop. I hated when guys ran away. If they ran that was an a** whoopin they had coming when I caught them.
bullettdodger
3/6/08 3:15:50PM

Posted by telnights

Posted by gartface

Yeah tell me about it. I don't know how in the hell he fought the first time on a bad one. I met few guys that have done it before and got over it but most that do it more than once have problems with it forever. But I think your right I think Shogun rushed it and I get a feeling he is going to pay for that the rest of his life. But I sure hope he gets back to his old self it sucks to see a fighter go down hill over something like this.

Posted by bullettdodger

Just in practice was shooting in for take down the first time and heard a pop and felt real bad pain in my knee and leg. The 2nd time I was making weight jogging and my knee started hurting real bad.

Its funny it even affect me while I was a cop. I hated when guys ran away. If they ran that was an a** whoopin they had coming when I caught them.

Damn man, i am really sorry to hear that. Getting injured like that is always in the back of my mind whenever i work out or anything like that.
jocksmall
3/7/08 7:46:18PM
he wasnt the same shogun against forrest thats for sure because the old shogun would have knocked out forrest. i hope he takes the adequate time to rehab and makes it back better than ever
Aries2343
3/8/08 7:29:43AM
Hopefully he does comeback.. The guys got a very bright future. But an ACL injury is very very painful, and its very hard to come back off of, but not impossible. An about last time he fought it was horrible, and he shouldn't of stepped foot in the octagon... One the same note though, last time we saw Matt Hamil fight he had a torn ACL against Bisbing, and we all know theres no way he lost that fight.. It was a bunch of bs..