Shogun Forrest

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Shogun Forrest
Next Page »
shogunassassin
9/24/07 8:01:29AM
Am I the only one who noticed that Shogun only lost coz he was gassed!?

Shogun was all over Griffin, then he got tired, let his arms down, and eventually even stopped grappling!

Shogun underestimated Griffin, and didnt work on cardio enough. He looked in bad shape, but he'll be back.

This Pride vs ufc thing is stupid.
Look how ufc fighters did over in Japan? People need time to adjust to rules.
hotrodttt
9/24/07 10:12:46AM
No man I am sorry to say that Forrest won that whole fight and he was even getting the better of the standing exchange , I really hope Shogun starts looking like the Shogun of 2005
pv3Hpv3p
9/24/07 10:16:36AM
Hey, I love Shogun and all, but I won't make any excuses for him... If he made the mistake of taking this fight lightly then he deserves to lose... He was just plain beaten, and didn't look like the Shogun of old... Pretty surprising, but there's really no excuse for it except that Forrest was the better fighter that night
TNunley
9/24/07 10:17:58AM
Perhaps Shogun did ultimately lose because he was gassed. That makes no difference though, it's still part of the game. I don't see it any different than someone getting knocked out because they didn't work on their striking enough. He should have known better.

Personally I feel Griffin had his number the entire fight. Griffin looked good, and he finished the fight (decisive win).
cowcatcher
9/24/07 10:19:35AM
the first thing i said when i saw shogun hit the octagon was that he didnt look to be in very good shape. that being said forrest took it to him for most of the fight, although shogun was very aggressive in the first round, and landed that great elbow in the second. theres really no excuse you can make for shogun, he just didnt have very good cardio, and thats his own fault.
jocka
9/24/07 10:23:24AM
All i can say is that i was suprised Forrest dominated Shogun, i did not think it would happend but thats what makes mma the best sport in the world
EddieBowers
9/24/07 10:36:45AM
I picked Forrest to win via S/D... in no way did I think he would get teh sub. That was crazy. Props to Forrest, he earned that win.
MMAnomale
9/24/07 11:31:51AM
Even before he gassed, Shogun was losing. What's happening to MMA? Did Shogun take Forrest lightly?
I don't understand. I guess ppl can't make fun of TUF fighters anymore. Shogun, along with GSP, have been my favorite fighters for about four years now (and yes, I liked GSP 4 years ago when hardly anybody knew who he was and he wasn't even in the UFC yet), but now I'm wondering, what's happening to these PRIDE fighters? We all know they are better than this.
I almost wish the UFC would've never bought PRIDE now.
I'm absolutely disgusted. The only Pride fighter who has really won (besides Anderson Silva and Rampage) is Big Nog, and he almost got knocked out (of course that was against another PRIDE fighter).
I don't think the UFC rules work well with Shogun's style. No more stomps or soccer kicks. Also, why would he gas. They had 10 minute first rounds in Pride!!!!!!
Wouldn't he want to be prepared for his first fight in the UFC, to show the American fans who have never heard of him what he could do?
Nothing against Forrest, but come on. We all know that Shogun is more talented and a better fighter than Forrest, it just so happened on that night he beat him. My world is falling apart right in front of me. Somebody wake me up and tell me this is all a dream.
babytater03
9/24/07 12:17:13PM

Posted by jocka

All i can say is that i was suprised Forrest dominated Shogun, i did not think it would happend but thats what makes mma the best sport in the world

i wasn't suprised at all! Forrest is not a freaking pushover, and Randy, Mike, and Joe pointed that out pre-fight. He lost to Tito, which he coulda arguably taken the S/D, and lost to Jardine. But just like Liddell, losing 2 times doesn't make him less of a fighter. He's still in incredible shape and DOMINATED Shogun for much of the fight. Hell he got frustrated because he was having to push the action so much when Mario (Might have been Steve) told him to stop pushing off the fence while on the ground. "Then stand us up! He's not doing anything!"

I'm not trying to take anything from Shogun (SO all you ZOMG SHOGUN!!!! fans dont beat me up) but he just had a good night and Forrest had a great night.
nubby
9/24/07 2:19:53PM
Maybe the whole UFC jitters thing is really a big deal. I mean I thought it might have a small impact but with shogun gulping, that was just akward. Are they not used to the crowds going apeshit?
billycarnage
9/24/07 3:24:02PM
I am still in shock as well. I am so happy for Griffin, yet sorry for Shogun. Shogun had a lot going on with his marriage and all. He has been told he is the best there is for the last few years so to him, 'Who the hell is Forest Griffin?'
He made some big mistakes but he will recover. I didn't like Dana's comments about UFC vs Pride. But I am over it. It will all balance out. It will be interesting to see what joe silva's next move will be in LHW devision.
Craziest night ever!
TNunley
9/24/07 3:27:56PM

Posted by billycarnage
... I didn't like Dana's comments about UFC vs Pride...

No joke... after all he bought Pride and signed many of the fighters. If my boss made some comment about me that may have been degrading, my boss would be looking for another employee. Then again... I don't work for a company at the top of the food chain such as the UFC.
zephead
9/24/07 3:31:41PM
I think that it was Forrests size that did the most damage. Forrest made Shogun work for everything. Forrest is a huge 205. It looked to me that Forrest used his size advantage. He leaned on him up against the cage. He got on top of him and used the wrist lock when he was on the bottom.

When he caught Shogun in the first round and put that huge knot on his head, that was the begining of the end. Shogun will be back. I'm just glad I don't see any, "Shogun should drop to 185" threads.
babytater03
9/24/07 3:56:37PM

Posted by zephead

...When he caught Shogun in the first round and put that huge knot on his head, that was the begining of the end....

that had to be the biggest knot i'd seen yet! THAT THING WAS ENORMOUS!
loonytnt
9/24/07 5:10:36PM
if he didnt gas IMO he still would have lost by UD
shogunassassin
9/25/07 4:29:03AM
I still think Shogun would have won had he not gassed, here's why,

Shogun was clearly stalking Forrest in the first couple rounds,
Forrest was moving well, good technically, but, like against Jardine, it looked as though he was gonna walk straight into a knockout! Shogun was looking for the kill, and he suddenly gassed! Simple as that, Forrest didnt look like he was gonna hurt him at all!

This pride vs ufc thing - PRIDE HAS TWO OF THE UFC CHAMPIONS!
SILVA AND RAMPAGE.
hathcock32
9/25/07 7:12:26PM

Posted by shogunassassin

I still think Shogun would have won had he not gassed, here's why,

Shogun was clearly stalking Forrest in the first couple rounds,
Forrest was moving well, good technically, but, like against Jardine, it looked as though he was gonna walk straight into a knockout! Shogun was looking for the kill, and he suddenly gassed! Simple as that, Forrest didnt look like he was gonna hurt him at all!

This pride vs ufc thing - PRIDE HAS TWO OF THE UFC CHAMPIONS!
SILVA AND RAMPAGE.

You guys really are clueless. Forrest won the fight, there is no excuse that is going to make up for losing. Forrest was to strong for Shogun, the way he controlled Shoguns arms from the bottom(besides the one elbow that got through) made me realize how strong forrest really is. There will never be a question after the fight ...Did Forrest gas??
cmill21
9/25/07 7:51:21PM
Man, when BJ gassed against GSP people were screaming he would have won, when BJ gassed against Huges people were once again screaming that he would have won. Same thing happens to a guy from pride and guess what, no ones aloud to say anything like that or people call them nuthuggers this, morons that. If Forrest is so strong, why was he taken down and why did Shogun keep giving his back and then rolling to guard with ease? Shogun was winning until he gassed, Shogun lost because he gassed.
OchoCinco
9/26/07 12:46:23AM
Shogun got his butt wooped from the first minute of the fight. And are you guys telling me that Forrest wasn't tired come on!!! I thought Shogun was gonna dominate that fight, I was wrong Forrest by domination!!!
shogunassassin
9/26/07 6:25:46AM
No way.
Shogun was stalking like a tiger, Forrest has no power in his punches, Shogun was looking to do something dramatic, and suddenly, he couldnt lift his arms.

WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU! SHOGUN COULDNT LIFT HIS ARMS AND STILL FORREST DID NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!

We all know Shogun is better on the ground, he just gave up, plain and simple, he was exhausted.
TNunley
9/26/07 2:21:19PM

Posted by shogunassassin

No way.
Shogun was stalking like a tiger, Forrest has no power in his punches, Shogun was looking to do something dramatic, and suddenly, he couldnt lift his arms.

WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU! SHOGUN COULDNT LIFT HIS ARMS AND STILL FORREST DID NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!

We all know Shogun is better on the ground, he just gave up, plain and simple, he was exhausted.

Wow, I must have been watching a different fight. In the Griffin/Rua fight I saw, Griffin made Rua about 3 inches taller with a knot he gave him. Griffin clearly had power in his punches. The Rua in the fight I saw, definitely was not better on the ground either... matter of fact the Rua in the fight I saw got choked out on the ground.
TNunley
9/26/07 2:23:50PM

Posted by cmill21

Man, when BJ gassed against GSP people were screaming he would have won, when BJ gassed against Huges people were once again screaming that he would have won. Same thing happens to a guy from pride and guess what, no ones aloud to say anything like that or people call them nuthuggers this, morons that. If Forrest is so strong, why was he taken down and why did Shogun keep giving his back and then rolling to guard with ease? Shogun was winning until he gassed, Shogun lost because he gassed.

I guess I missed when people were talking about BJ gassing and losing against GSP. I had it that GSP won that one. And yes, when BJ gassed against Hughes, I was definitely one of the people that said if he hadn't gassed he would have won. Which is definitely the case IMO. BJ completely dominated the first two rounds, and then when he gassed was like a walking punching bag. However Rua did nothing the entire fight... gassed or not Forrest had his number the entire time.
cowcatcher
9/26/07 2:29:24PM

Posted by shogunassassin

i think its more of a case of forrest sticking to his game plan and not getting out of control than doing nothing. youre obviously a big shogun fan, as am i, but he got dismantled plain and simple.
TNunley
9/26/07 2:47:01PM

Posted by cowcatcher

i think its more of a case of forrest sticking to his game plan and not getting out of control than doing nothing. youre obviously a big shogun fan, as am i, but he got dismantled plain and simple.

Great to see a Shogun fan who is willing to admit defeat and move on. Props
cowcatcher
9/26/07 2:49:45PM
how can i deny the fact that he got beat up, its right there on the TV, there arent any excuses that are worth a ****. he'll be back, but that was a shocking fight.
jeremygreen
9/26/07 8:14:10PM
I don't know but i know forrest came in top condition for this fight, just look at his workout routines, insane. Hopefully this puts him in title contensions.
rameses7878
9/26/07 8:56:11PM
. Never have I seen Shogun or Crocop gas like they have in the UFC. Wanderlei will also gas really quickly....maybe quicker than CC and Shogun.
cmill21
9/27/07 1:12:05AM

Posted by rameses7878

He gassed because he most likely was on steroids in Pride, just like Crocop. Never have I seen Shogun or Crocop gas like they have in the UFC. Wanderlei will also gas really quickly....maybe quicker than CC and Shogun.

Cro Cop, is a Cop. Steroids are illegal, tough to convince me of that. And Shoguns fought in sanctioned US events with drug testing. I'm curious on how much knowledge you have of steroids, and why you think they have to do with cardio? Look at the guys from hammer house, then look at shogun Mirko and Wand, you'll see a bit of a difference
ncordless
9/27/07 1:19:30AM
I thought it was a very competitive fight for the first seven minutes. Sure, Shogun had a lump, but Forrest's face didn't look that great either.

Then Shogun gassed, and that was that. Forrest competely owned the last half of the fight.

Watch the fight again, you'll see that it was competitive in the begining.
iwannabesedated
9/27/07 12:15:40PM
Forrest won..I picked him Im not bragging but can we get over it.Im sure Shogun will be back and maybe he will condition better next time or else get his ass whooped again.Everytime a Pride Guy loses in the UFC theres like 15 threads of excuses on to why he lost..Shogun souldve beat forrest if he didnt gas.Well..Should've,could've,would've.....DIDNT and instead got beat on and choked out.I think the best excuse was that Shogun doesnt have anyone good training with him anymore since Wandy isnt with Chute Box ive seen that on here somewhere but its funny cause when i watched the all access before the fight it showed Wandy and Shogun training together..either way can we just move on and not have threads about what could've happened if this guy didnt gas...
Pages: [1] 2