Who should Shogun fight at UFC 76?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Who should Shogun fight at UFC 76?
Next Page »
POLL: Who wants a piece of Shogun?
Jason Lambert 6% (5)
"Babalu" Sobral 36% (28)
Houston Alexander 21% (16)
Wilson Gouveia 8% (6)
Lyoto Machida 17% (13)
somebody else... 13% (10)
AchillesHeel
6/22/07 11:02:37AM
Evidently, Dana White has confirmed that Mauricio "Shogun" Rua will be making his Octagon debut at UFC 76 on 22 September, but hasn't set up a match for him yet. Let's help them out and find a good punching bag... er... opponent for Shogun.

Jason Lambert: 23-6, 4-1 in the UFC. A slugger, with 12 TKOs, 2 Submissions by strikes, and 1 by verbal tapout. Last fought at UFC 68 in March. Could be ready for the Big Time.

Renato "Babalu" Sobral: 27-7, 5-4 in the UFC. A grappler, with 11 wins by Submission Hold and 11 by Decision. Last fought at UFC 68 in March. Coming off consecutive losses, he might be destined for "gatekeeper" status.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Babalu already has a win over Shogun, a 3rd-round guillotine choke, at an International Fighting Championship event in 2003.

Houston Alexander: 7-1, 1-0 in the UFC. A slugger who last fought at UFC 71 in May. He blew through Keith Jardine and some folks are already calling him "the UFC's 'Sokoudjou'."

Wilson Gouveia: 9-4, 3-1 in the UFC. A grappler with 3 consecutive Wins by Submission Hold. Last fought at UFC 71 in May. Impressed in UFC debut against Jardine before gassing and losing the Decision.

Lyoto Machida: 10-0, 2-0 in the UFC. Well-rounded, but tends to win by Decision. Most famously, has non-UFC wins over B.J. Penn and Rich Franklin. Last fought at UFC 70 in April. He's either a secret weapon in the 205-lb division or terribly overrated, depending upon who you ask.

thepunisher
6/22/07 11:09:06AM
Ken Shamrock

Just kidding i want to see him fight Forrest
cowcatcher
6/22/07 11:19:22AM
babalu might be the best choice due to their history, and the fact that i think its the last fight on sobrals contract(i think). lambert is going to need an opponent soon coming off his big win against babalu so that might work. i think machida is an up and comer in the ufc so they will probably try to get him more exposure at this point,the fact the they can advertise him as a guy that beat franklin should help make him more marketable to ufc fans.
AchillesHeel
6/22/07 11:19:48AM

Posted by thepunisher

Ken Shamrock

Ack!

Posted by thepunisher

Just kidding i want to see him fight Forrest

Yeah, maybe. Forrest (Griffin: 14-4, 5-2 in the UFC) just fought at UFC 72 last weekend, but I don't think he suffered any injuries and could perhaps be ready for another match in 3 months' time. It might be rushing him, but it might not.
AchillesHeel
6/22/07 11:20:56AM

Posted by cowcatcher

babalu might be the best choice due to their history, and the fact that i think its the last fight on sobrals contract(i think).

I voted for Babalu myself, although I wouldn't mind seeing any of these guys.
Mastodon2
6/22/07 11:22:52AM
I'd like to see a rematch with Renato, I dont think Sobral would get by Shogun this time tbh.

I wouldnt mind seeing him against Griffin even, though it would be more of a skill demo than anything else tbh, I dont think Griffin has the offensive skill to challange the Shogun
cowcatcher
6/22/07 11:24:38AM
i agree that id be happy with any opponent on your list just because ive been waiting to see shogun in the ufc since the pride sale. all would be exciting and a few of those guys should end up matched up together to clear up who will be in the title picture in the near future outside of the usual suspects(rampage, hendo, chuck, wandy, shogun, etc)
spider1179
6/22/07 11:37:16AM
While a rematch with Babalu sounds interesting, I would rather see him against someone new. I think Alexander needs a real test to see if he is the real deal. He is older (35) and most likely does not have a whole lot of time left to fight (not everyone is like Randy). The window for the UFC to market him as the next challenger is a small one.
blkssncpt
6/22/07 11:41:41AM
It has to be either Babalu or Alexander for sure. Babalu cuz of thier past and Alexander because he beat Jardine and he has a really big head about it and i'd like to see shogun destroy him...
AchillesHeel
6/22/07 11:52:10AM
I added the bit about Babalu's previous match with Shogun to the first post. Thanks for the reminder.
thepunisher
6/22/07 11:55:29AM
I don't want to see him fight Babalu yet, I would like to see Babalu get on winning streak again coming of off 2 brutal ko's then going up against Shogun IMO isn't good for Renato's career
thepunisher
6/22/07 11:56:31AM
3 months is plenty of time for Forrest
LR
6/22/07 11:58:09AM
Alexander is out of the question, not right now. Babalu or Machida would be the best bet. Sobral having scored a win over Rua as well in his career. Worthy Rematch.
RampageCoS23
6/22/07 12:49:32PM
If they want a spectaular debut for Shogun, it has to be against Houston Alexander because we know he will slug it out with Rua. Houston's chin is suspect and 49 seconds doesn't convince me enough that he is the real deal. Shogun by KO 1st Round at UFC 76!
szucconi
6/22/07 12:57:14PM

Posted by LR

Alexander is out of the question, not right now. Babalu or Machida would be the best bet. Sobral having scored a win over Rua as well in his career. Worthy Rematch.

Alexander is not out of the question, but I think Alexander should fight Babalu before the rematch with Shogun. Shogun should take on someone in lesser standing before he fights anyone big. He has to be shown to the UFC fans like Rampage was. Marvin Eastman V. Shogun
cowcatcher
6/22/07 1:00:49PM

Posted by szucconi

Posted by LR

Alexander is not out of the question, but I think Alexander should fight Babalu before the rematch with Shogun. Shogun should take on someone in lesser standing before he fights anyone big. He has to be shown to the UFC fans like Rampage was. Marvin Eastman V. Shogun

im pretty sure weve seen the last of beastman, he really was just brought in to sell people on rampage as a guy that beat him before. by using that thinking babalu should be the guy since he is a known commodity in the ufc and has beaten shogun before a la eastman and page.
gutoo
6/22/07 1:22:42PM
Shogun vs Houston or Forrest can be good
i think babalu need more fights to fight against shogun
szucconi
6/22/07 1:23:10PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by szucconi

im pretty sure weve seen the last of beastman, he really was just brought in to sell people on rampage as a guy that beat him before. by using that thinking babalu should be the guy since he is a known commodity in the ufc and has beaten shogun before a la eastman and page.

Maybe not Eastman, but someone like him. If you think rampage v. eastman is the same as Shogun v. Babalu then that would be fine, but I disagree. I think Shogun v. Babalu is a much closer match. Shogun needs a can to be introduced to the UFC fans and Babalu needs a win in the UFC to get back on track. Unless you think Babalu is on his way out like Eastman?
cowcatcher
6/22/07 1:38:07PM

Posted by szucconi

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by szucconi

Maybe not Eastman, but someone like him. If you think rampage v. eastman is the same as Shogun v. Babalu then that would be fine, but I disagree. I think Shogun v. Babalu is a much closer match. Shogun needs a can to be introduced to the UFC fans and Babalu needs a win in the UFC to get back on track. Unless you think Babalu is on his way out like Eastman?

i agree that its much closer, but in terms of selling the fight i see it that way. plus i thik babalu might be on his way out sadly
JBatch
6/22/07 1:40:09PM
I would like to see him take Houston Alexander down a peg. It would kind of be like when Eddie Sanchez beat Mario Neto to gain some credibility in the octagon and then was made to look like an amateur when Cro Cop dismantled him.

I would like that the most if not I woould say either David Heath or Ryoto Machida.
Bass
6/22/07 1:52:14PM
i think lambert. he is coming off a big win, so this would be a good test to see if he is the real thing or if it was a lucky punch. forrest would also be a good match up, but i don't think the ufc would put hime there so soon after a tough loss. the winner of ortiz/evans, i think, would be the best match up, but i dont know if either would be ready in time for ufc76. plus, i think they are saving forrest for a rematch with ortiz.
gspfan31
6/22/07 1:57:54PM
babalu or lambert, shogun would destroy both of them standing
nubby
6/22/07 2:37:31PM

Posted by thepunisher

I don't want to see him fight Babalu yet, I would like to see Babalu get on winning streak again coming of off 2 brutal ko's then going up against Shogun IMO isn't good for Renato's career

Sorry, but I don't think Renato should be spoon fed a can. He's either good or he's not, and the only way you will know is if he fights the upper competition. I feel the same way for all the fighters. I don't think they should take it easy on Ortiz or Couture, my two favorite fighters. Make them both fight the hardest fight possible.
KYGUY07
6/22/07 4:47:30PM
I want him to fight Alexander thenwhen Shogun k.os him, people will get off Houstons nuts.
AmericanFighterAce
6/22/07 4:56:13PM

Posted by gspfan31

babalu or lambert, shogun would destroy both of them standing

I think Lambert would be a fitting stand-up battle with Shogun.

I voted for Lyoto Machida because I think he throws a wrench into the Shogun superstar plan. UFC is going to try to make Shogun a huge superstar the same way they did with Rampage and Mirko.

They are going to throw someone like a Sam Hoger, Rob McDonald, HEctor Ramirez, Sean Salmon or Elvis Sinosic in a match with Shogun first. Then you could possibly see a Babalu vs. Shogun II or even my choice Machida vs. Shogun.

Machida is a secret weapon in the UFC who might not be the most exciting fighter, but simply put he wins matches. Josh Koscheck is not the most exciting fighter, but he wins so Machida is a underrated fighter in the UFC.
chuckw94
6/22/07 5:30:26PM
bring on babalu so he can take care of that loss and then bring on the winner of jackson vs henderson. and i hope it's jackson.
Believe-in-judo81
6/22/07 8:02:21PM
Jason Lambert would be a good looking win on his resume and should allow Shogun to showcase his skills to the UFC fans. On the other hand a fight with Machida could be great too, both guys are great standing and it could turn into a chess match. As far as unlisted Opponents Forrest has the name recognition and fan base to draw viewers and would be more than willing to bang, which is most likely exactly what Shogun,and the UFC bigwigs, both want. Either way I'm just looking forward to seeing what he does and hoping for a great fight.
Abbott
6/22/07 8:18:44PM
It should be Shogun vs Chuck Liddell, lets start making superfights like they promised, doesnt need to be a title fight to be good
rcg916
6/22/07 8:57:56PM
Shogun just confirmed it from the crowd at Strikeforce. Sept 22.
Piccosaur
6/22/07 9:38:35PM

Posted by Abbott

It should be Shogun vs Chuck Liddell, lets start making superfights like they promised, doesnt need to be a title fight to be good

Yeah everyones saying people who I personally wouldn't want to see, I think it needs to be Liddell. Then if Shogun beats Liddell maybe Shogun can get a shot at the title against Quinton?
Pages: [1] 2