Shogun: I’ll Fight Anderson Silva

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Shogun: I’ll Fight Anderson Silva
Next Page »
jae_1833
5/9/10 2:22:24AM
link
Appearing on ESPN2’s MMA Live just moments after his title-clinching stoppage of Lyoto Machida at UFC 113 in Montreal, “Shogun” was blunt when asked by host Jon Anik if he would fight the fellow Brazilian.

“Yes, of course. I’m a professional fighter,” said Rua (19-4).
lohmann
5/9/10 2:31:21AM
If Anderson Silva wants to follow through on his desire to move up for different competition, now would be the time for him to take a crack at the title.

It would give me those stomach flips if I were to see it live, but I would favor Anderson Silva with less certainty than I usually do if it were made.
jae_1833
5/9/10 2:36:10AM
I kind of want to see Silva fight Chael , Vitor, and Wandy too....if he beats Sexyama......and Shogun I'd like to see him fight Rashad and Rampage both....maybe even Bones Jones too. I love it when the divs get stirred up like this....now I hope the LW div continues to stir as well!!
seanfu
5/9/10 2:41:51AM

Posted by lohmann

If Anderson Silva wants to follow through on his desire to move up for different competition, now would be the time for him to take a crack at the title.

It would give me those stomach flips if I were to see it live, but I would favor Anderson Silva with less certainty than I usually do if it were made.

I would nut my pants.
hate4thestate
5/9/10 4:55:12AM

Posted by seanfu

Posted by lohmann

I would nut my pants.

BlueSkiesBurn
5/9/10 6:51:21AM
I'm all for this happening
StriderXero
5/9/10 8:09:23AM
When Machida became champ, i thought he looked more unbeatable than Anderson. I feel Anderson would have to put on the show of his life to beat Shogun. I feel there's no way in hell he beats Shogun easily.

Here's to to lengthy Shogun era
xdanish020
5/9/10 10:12:33AM
all i can say is yesssssssssss
icantthinkofanything
5/9/10 10:34:52AM
I think Anderson is better than Lyoto, but styles make fights. Lyotos style was too complex 4 everyone, making him look unbeatable. When I saw what happened to Forrest (eventhough Forrest looked less explosive and landed few to none strikes) I was positive Silva was better than Lyoto. Because Anderson showed he can brawl and move foward aggressively with offense. not just counter

Silva showed his ko power and body speed was translated well into lhw division. He proved he was also a title threat by knocking out lhw fighters who are naturally bigger than him. I think Anderson is better at Muah Thai, but the fight would be decided by strategy. If Shogun used the exact same strategy as last night, to kick, and counter a counter, he may be able to take Silva. Otherwise future dancing with stars champ will be lhw champ next imo!
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
sbulldavid
5/9/10 11:01:38AM
I've never picked against Shogun, but Silva has destroyed people so easily, I'm not sure who I pick. I think Silva has the edge in the hands department and defensively, Shogun has the edge in the Muay Thai department and on the ground. One thing that is overlooked is that Anderson hasn't been consistently fighting competition anywhere near the level of the competition that Shogun has. I think Anderson should have to earn his shot by beating one of the guys at the top of 205 first. I'd like to see him fight Rashad or Rampage at least.

Before anybody says well Anderson beat Forrest and Forrest beat Shogun-

1) That was a prime and hungry Forrest against an out of shape Shogun.

2) Shogun has had trouble in the past with strong grapplers and Judokas such as Nakamura, Lil Nog, Coleman,Wanderley,Babalu. (which is why Rashad might give him fits)

3) Who has Silva really beaten, Franklin, Henderson, and Marquardt, Griffin. Henderson has power but little technique, Franklin was good technical but weak in the clinch, Marquardt didn't start knocking people out until after he fought Silva, and Forrest will sometimes brawl and doesn't have much for power.

4) I think Rogerio and Rashad are bigger threats stylistically.
prozacnation1978
5/9/10 12:49:20PM
I say if silva beats chael he vacates title and fights winner of shogun vs
Rampage if rampage beats evans
Then have belfort vs wandy silva rematch for middleweight title
MisterFreeze
5/9/10 12:50:17PM
I absolutely want to see this fight happen!!

But I also want to see a Machida vs Shogun 3 down the road!
TheGodfather1024
5/9/10 1:09:57PM
MAKE IT HAPPEN DANA!!!!
Bloodhound
5/9/10 1:37:38PM
I think Shogun can beat Anderson Silva, but if Rampage beats Rashad we're gonna see Rampage Vs Shogun II
Ordep
5/9/10 2:02:56PM
Rampage-Shogun 2 > Shogun-A. Silva
Wand_is_GOD
5/9/10 2:10:09PM
GIVE ME THE CHECK DAAAAAAAAAAAAAANA
mrsmiley
5/9/10 2:45:48PM
I would like to have seen Shogun face the winner of little nog and Forrest but since that fight is off I want to see him fight the winner of Rampage and Shogun. Then have the winner of Shogun vs Rampage/Evans face Anderson.
bjj1605
5/9/10 5:22:12PM

Posted by mrsmiley

I would like to have seen Shogun face the winner of little nog and Forrest but since that fight is off I want to see him fight the winner of Rampage and Shogun. Then have the winner of Shogun vs Rampage/Evans face Anderson.

I agree and I think that's the most likely scenario. Assuming you meant "the winner of Rampage and Rashad" not "rampage and shogun".
BlueSkiesBurn
5/9/10 6:07:36PM
I can't believe that someone said Shogun was better a Muay Thai...you're kidding right? I would take Anderson 10 out of 10 times in this fight. Also, who the hell has Shogun beat that makes his list more impressive than Anderson's? Coleman and Liddell? Yes, I am aware that he beat Lyoto last night but prior to that I'd definitely have to give the list to Anderson.
BeeR
5/9/10 6:08:53PM
my first thought after shoguns hand was raised was Shogun vs Silva
hate4thestate
5/9/10 8:03:13PM
why would anyone really want to see shogun fight rampage again? it wasnt like that fight was close. id much rather see new blood for shogun.
lohmann
5/9/10 8:11:25PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I can't believe that someone said Shogun was better a Muay Thai...you're kidding right? I would take Anderson 10 out of 10 times in this fight. Also, who the hell has Shogun beat that makes his list more impressive than Anderson's? Coleman and Liddell? Yes, I am aware that he beat Lyoto last night but prior to that I'd definitely have to give the list to Anderson.

Anderson Silva's efficient at Muay Thai, but he does not integrate MT in nearly the way Shogun Rua does into MMA. The way Anderson holds his arms low, plants and moves his feet, and simply throws punches are mostly derivative of boxing, not MT.

Obviously Anderson Silva's extensively trained in MT; his knees and kicks have proven that, but one of the reasons he's considered the most versatile striker in MMA is because he does not adhere at all to a single style, at least aesthetically.

So maybe Anderson's better at straight MT, but he definitely doesn't use it as much as Shogun Rua.
Pookie
5/9/10 8:20:18PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Ill take this challenge.

The Muay Thai assertion - Anderson Silva may be the better striker overall, but as far as the fundamentals of Muay Thai are concerned, Shogun is a more complete fighter. His kicks are stronger, and are used in a more effective way to set up combo's than anderson's.
Anderson has the better power in his hands, and moves very well, complimenting his natural build and reach while simultaneously shrouding a glaring defensive hole anderson posseses. Anderson doesnt block punches nearly as much as he should, instead choosing to slip or move away. I mean, he has the skill to pull it off, but eventually someone as equally skilled a striker as you if going to hand you your ass if you dont fix it.

Who has Shogun beat that makes his list more impressive than andersons -

Anderson has defeated
Rich Franklin(2x), Marquardt, Dan Henderson, Demian Maia & Forrest Griffin as far as top level competition is concerned.
Some names that dont mean nearly as much Include: Chris Leben, James Irvin, Thales Leites, Patrick Cote, & Travis Lutter.

Shogun has defeated
Rampage Jackson , Lil Nog, Alistair Overeem(2x), Ricardo Arona, & Lyoto Machida(2x) as far as top level competition is concerned.
Some Names that dont mean nearly as much include: Kevin Randleman, Chuck Liddell, Kazuhiro Nakamura, and Mark Coleman.

Anderson arguably has beat the harder level of competition that "doesnt mean nearly as much", However in regards to top competition, Shogun without a doubt has beat the better fighters, in a better weight class, just as impressively.
lohmann
5/9/10 8:26:55PM

Posted by Pookie

Shogun has defeated
Rampage Jackson , Lil Nog, Alistair Overeem(2x), Ricardo Arona, & Lyoto Machida(2x) as far as top level competition is concerned.
Some Names that dont mean nearly as much include: Kevin Randleman, Chuck Liddell, Kazuhiro Nakamura, and Mark Coleman.

That particular fight is the one I would single out as to why I think Anderson Silva holds an edge over Rua, at least in striking.
Pookie
5/9/10 8:39:11PM
I can see why, but something of note i feel worth pointing out is Lil nog won his exchanges in the pocket going tit for tat.

Anderson never really plants his feet and unloads in flurries. And i feel that was what got Nog the better of the exchanges, moreso than the straight type of punches they both throw.
lohmann
5/9/10 8:47:58PM

Posted by Pookie

I can see why, but something of note i feel worth pointing out is Lil nog won his exchanges in the pocket going tit for tat.

Anderson never really plants his feet and unloads in flurries. And i feel that was what got Nog the better of the exchanges, moreso than the straight type of punches they both throw.

In his fight with Forrest Griffin he planted his feet and stood right in front of Griffin and was still competent enough to evade Griffin while picking his shots and absolutely destroying Griffin's manhood with them.

I'm certainly interested in a Rua vs. Silva fight. Silva's getting to an age that usually sees the arrival of a decline, which is why I think this superfight should happen sooner rather than later.

Pookie
5/9/10 9:02:22PM
Very true, but he also did not respect forrests striking at all. Would paying shogun that same treatment be benifical for anderson? Quite possibly, he might just embarrass him like forrest if Shogun pressures in a similarly aggressive manner.
But at the same time, i think shogun is by leaps and bounds better suited to fight someone like anderson, and might just have the explosiveness to catch him on the jaw if he stays in the pocket.

Interesting fight either way, by no means am i favoring either fighter heavily. I just like how the styles match-up. Anderson Silva has never faced a top level striker, ever.
sbulldavid
5/9/10 9:15:28PM
I had said Shogun has better Muay Thai, Silva is the better with his hands that is not a question. Rogerio did control a lot of the stand-up in that fight, but the things about a cage that make Cro Cop ineffective are the same things that make Shogun effective. Silva doesn't have anywhere near the take down defense of Machida or the mobility of Machida. If you watch him he makes people miss with impressive head movement and level changes, that's not really a good strategy because Shoguns going to throw kicks to the legs and follow it up with a takedown. I think what really hurts Silva is that he hasn't shown any signs of power with anything but his straight stuff, and I'm not sure what power he has inside. IMO James Irvin is the best overall striker he's ever faced and that doesn't say a whole lot, but it does make me want to see Franklin vs Irvin at 205.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/9/10 10:09:58PM
Ah, okay, that makes more sense. I was confused there for a moment. I still think that this would be Anderson's fight to lose but I can see Shogun definitely pressing Silva like he's never been pressed before. That fight would be awesome.
seanfu
5/9/10 11:29:16PM
Anderson would win though. And as for questioning level of opposition, i think you should remember every fight in the UFC he's had except lyoto was C level.

They brought him in and gave him forrest for a free win and boost in popularity. Then they gave him Coleman (holy **** what a tough opponent) then Chuck, and we all know after losing 4 of his last 5 Chuck was on top of his game. You are totally right sir.
Pages: [1] 2