“Shogun” Entered UFC 76 Fight With Knee Damage; Out Until Early 2008

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » “Shogun” Entered UFC 76 Fight With Knee Damage; Out Until Early 2008
aznteabagger
9/27/07 5:50:19PM
Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, a top-ranked light heavyweight who made an unsuccessful Octagon debut against Forrest Griffin this past weekend, entered the fight with ligament damage in his knee.

LINK
cmill21
9/27/07 6:02:08PM
Thanks for posting this, still won't change this sites view on pride fighters and will probly result in some sort of crying about excuses being made lol. Oh and yeah it would effect your cardio if you can't run because your knees blown out.
wolfman
9/27/07 6:21:53PM
No wonder he was gassed by the 2nd. Hopefully his surgery goes well.
fullfighting
9/27/07 7:35:06PM
That makes sense, he looked so gassed in that fight. Honestly he didn't look himself the entire time. Even before the fight his brother was already trying to cheer shogun up him in the corner when he was talking to him and rubbing his head. By the way I'm a UFC guy but I didn't like seeing Shogun look so terrible. He's very young and he'll be back.
gamez0932
9/27/07 8:26:31PM
i dont think he was making any excuses... he straight up said he didnt blame that on his loss and that was the reason he didnt tell the doctors... shogun is a good competitor and is a humble man..... best of luck to him in th future.
Btews22
9/27/07 9:24:36PM
he should of withdrawn instead of looking like a chump i lost a lot of $ and looked like an idiot in front of a bunch of TUFers i bamboozled them and got 2/1 odds but i was the one crying at the end!!!!!
DJDark41
9/27/07 9:38:07PM

Posted by Btews22

he should of withdrawn instead of looking like a chump i lost a lot of $ and looked like an idiot in front of a bunch of TUFers i bamboozled them and got 2/1 odds but i was the one crying at the end!!!!!

So true. It definitly made a bad impression on people who watch UFC and know jack-squat about Pride. Now all of them are probably convinced 100% that this "Fedor" guy is gonna lose as soon as he steps into the Octagon.
cmill21
9/27/07 9:41:33PM
I acctually have some torn cartalidge in my knee and I know what that shit feels like. You feel great one minuet, then it moves and it feels like you blew your knee out. I doubt he could do even half of his regular cardio, and this explains why he gassed, and it's been a long time since i've seen anyone gas early in round 2.
loonytnt
9/27/07 11:57:18PM
i think it is great that he still fought, it shows that he is down to fight no matter what. if he did not fight i can see a lot of people giving him a lot of stuff about it, good for him that he fought and i hope he heals up
nubby
9/28/07 1:24:23AM
I hate when fighters fight with major injuries because then it makes you doubt the ability of the fighter that won. See now I'm second guessing Forrest. Arg!
rockernhb
9/28/07 1:32:19AM
Hope he comes back and makes a statement, he is one guy I would like to see rule the division. WAR SHOGUN
CwB
9/28/07 3:41:22AM
so thats why he gassed, whats his brothers reason for gassing...
that sucks he had such an injury, wish we would of had him at 100%
what a crappy way to win a fight = luck + injury + first time ufc nerves + new rules. that steals all of the thunder out of that win sucks for forest

plus that ends the chuck vs shogun rumors in december.
jgtribbett
9/28/07 8:35:29AM

Posted by wolfman

No wonder he was gassed by the 2nd. Hopefully his surgery goes well.

that makes a lot more sence now... but that sucks
Wolf
9/28/07 10:27:52AM
First, let me say, that I'm not saying the injury is a fabrication. If it was I think it would have come out sooner. However, I have to wonder how much of an injury it is. I mean, he was shooting double legs, kicks, knees, and rolling from turtle. If it was that serious then how did he do all that? Also, knee ligament damage is usually very serious. I'm curious as to the knee ligament injury that could be mild enough to allow him to be back in "early 2008."

As for his conditioning, it's pretty telling that his brother was in poor shape too. They're training partners, and when one partner is out of shape, chances are the other will be too.

I've always been very impressed with Shogun, and was looking forward to the fight. However, I don't think too much should be taken from Forrest for this win. He busted his ass training for this fight, and even asked to take it. The kid is tough. I'd be all for a rematch though, and I'd pick Forrest again. He's more than just a guy who got fame for winning TUF. As far as I'm concerned he beat Tito. The loss to Jardine was a loss fare and square, but remember he was winning that fight until he got sloppy. You won't see that from him again.

As for the Fedor comment. My money would be on Fedor against anyone other than Randy. The reason I say that is, as much as my brain says Fedor would win that fight I just can't go against that guy anymore. He just keeps surprising me everytime he fights.
Darnok
9/28/07 11:01:01AM

Posted by DJDark41

Posted by Btews22

So true. It definitly made a bad impression on people who watch UFC and know jack-squat about Pride. Now all of them are probably convinced 100% that this "Fedor" guy is gonna lose as soon as he steps into the Octagon.

and there's really nothing left for me to add.
dinobravo
9/28/07 12:15:49PM
i think randy will give fedor the best challenge, but beat him i dont think so but as for shogun he got beat gassed or not he submited but i think he will be back and show us the shogun we were all supposed to see
nickcuc547
9/28/07 3:06:06PM
it took a little longer than i thought for the excuse train to start for shogun, not trying to bash anybody but it seems like every time a big name pride fighter gets beat theyc come up with an injury shortly after the fight, shogun got beat the entire fight including the first round before he "gassed" so there is no excuse. o ya and he quit in the end.
nickcuc547
9/28/07 3:10:40PM
btw im not saying he made up the injury, but i think it isnt as serious as you think and he is using it as an excuse big time. to be honest im just sick of this injury stuff, first with cc now with shogun.
TNunley
9/28/07 4:32:36PM

Posted by nickcuc547

it took a little longer than i thought for the excuse train to start for shogun, not trying to bash anybody but it seems like every time a big name pride fighter gets beat theyc come up with an injury shortly after the fight, shogun got beat the entire fight including the first round before he "gassed" so there is no excuse. o ya and he quit in the end.

Props to you, simply because I'm tired of the excuses as well.
jae_1833
9/28/07 5:13:29PM
I am pretty critical when it comes to statements about injuries after someone losses a fight....I am having a hard time with Shogun though. His brother (and partner) was gassed in round two, he was going for take downs every round. Still I have seen this guy fight a good amount of times over the last couple of years and just can't think he is lying. I think he is the first man I am giving a buy to, I am a Tito fan but I didn't give him any and he has asked for 2!
cmill21
9/28/07 6:54:09PM
Lol figured this would start. So they come out and say the guy fought with an injury and everyone dumps on him? Again double standard against the pride guys. If chuck came out and said he broke his hand everyone would be say ohh wow thats why.
nickcuc547
9/28/07 7:39:08PM
no its a double standard against ufc guys saying they arent as good, all you pride lovers love to brag about how good it is because you feel like you know more about mma because you watched pride before mma was big, give me a break and stop the excuses, injury or not shogun was dominated from start to finish by a better fighter.
cmill21
9/28/07 8:21:12PM

Posted by nickcuc547

no its a double standard against ufc guys saying they arent as good, all you pride lovers love to brag about how good it is because you feel like you know more about mma because you watched pride before mma was big, give me a break and stop the excuses, injury or not shogun was dominated from start to finish by a better fighter.

I don't think I know more then anyone, I don't care if you watch pride or elitexc or UFC, I don't care. I don't think the UFC fans would act the same way if it's a UFC guy. No shogun wasn't domiated from start to finish my brother in law(biggest UFC nuthugger ever) throught shogun won the first. He wasn't even dominated when he gassed, sorry bud. Look when a UFC guy comes out and says I fought injured(ala randy) people were saying oh what a warrior, then shogun says it and everyones calling him a lier, oh and considering he's having surgery I dunno if he lieing, they tend not to just hand out surgery. This site seems to be extremly pro UFC fighters, and anti Pride fighters.
nickcuc547
9/28/07 8:28:17PM
i dont know i thought he got dominated the entire fight, i had forrest winning all three rounds.

and btw im not a huge ufc nuthugger, i just get a little annoyed whenever a pride guy beats a ufc guy its because pride is better, but when a ufc guy beats a pride guy the excuses start flying. imo they appear to be pretty even, for every disappointment from pride to ufc (cc, and i wouldnt even put shogun as a disappintment yet), there is a success (rampage, silva). also i wasnt singling you out with the knowledge comment, thats just the impression i have gotten from a lot of pride fans, i have no reason to believe that you think that way from your last post, i just happen to disagree with you.
jae_1833
9/28/07 10:22:45PM
Guys who are mainly Pride fans just seem obnoxious to me. It's always been that way, although UFC fans tend to vote for the favorite in every fight...we all have our flaws.
danski
9/29/07 9:45:03AM
Shogun will be back...things happen fights get lost
Azzkiker
9/29/07 10:30:56AM
Thats helps explain why he looked so sluggish in the ring. His takedowns were weak all night. He looked nothing like his normal self.
TOMMYAYO05
10/1/07 1:20:48AM

Posted by Btews22

i totally agree,i mean now it makes him look like a chump and it makes forrest look better than he really is when tito handed him his ass.Shogun defintley should not of took that fight.