Shogun vs. Chuck Confirmed UFC 85 London (June)

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Shogun vs. Chuck Confirmed UFC 85 London (June)
Next Page »
wolfman
2/1/08 1:53:12PM
On the road going to Praia do Rosa in Santa Catarina, Brazil, where he will pass the carnival with his wife, Mauricio Shogun confirmed to TATAME the fight against Chuck Liddell in June in UFC. “I confirmed this fight yesterday. Everything is set to June and I hope to make a great fight and represent well my new team, the Universidade da Luta (Fight University)”, said Shogun, who is expecting to revenge the friend Wanderlei Silva, who was defeated by Liddell on UFC 79.

http://www.tatame.com/2008/02/01/Shogun--Ill-revenge-Wanderlei
KYGUY07
2/1/08 1:55:30PM
I think Chuck will k.o. Shogun late 3rd rd.
TimW001
2/1/08 1:56:16PM
I am so impressed with the UFC's card thus far in 2008. Dana said we'de see nothing but stacked cards, and I have nothing to complain about yet.
wolfman
2/1/08 2:02:33PM
Yeah, these cards are shaping up nicely so far. I am very excited for this fight. Unfortunately, I don't want to see either fighter lose. Especially, Liddell since he is one of my favorites and Shogun is too, yet I have been supporting Liddell much longer. It is unfortunate that Shogun may go 0-2. I think there is a good chance that Liddell will win, Liddell is a bad match up for Shogun. I hope it is a good fight and that it does not go to a decision, yet it more than likely will. If it does go to a decision, it had better be a good fight like Silva/Liddell.
KYGUY07
2/1/08 2:16:49PM

Posted by TimW001

I am so impressed with the UFC's card thus far in 2008. Dana said we'de see nothing but stacked cards, and I have nothing to complain about yet.

yea man you totally right, there hasnt really been a boring card in a while, except for maybe 78
nickcuc547
2/1/08 2:21:20PM
awesome, perfect matchup i cant wait to see these two go at it.
gsquat
2/1/08 2:26:15PM
Perfect matchup for Chuck. KO in the first.
CiaoBaby
2/1/08 2:29:57PM
I knew this fight would happen!!! I'm nervous I love them both!
Boo_Radley21
2/1/08 2:38:08PM
Good news I've really been wanting to see this fight. I'm gonna give it to Chuck by KO/TKO in round 2. Hopefully it's as exciting as Wandy/Chuck and hopefully Shogun is healthy so all the talk after the Griffin fight doesn't start up again if Liddell wins
wrona666
2/1/08 2:39:40PM
I think that Chuck will be able to control the pace of this fight and if that is the case i see Chuck KO in round two or three.....
loller90278
2/1/08 2:49:47PM
dang this has got me biting my nails.

i never really liked shogun too much (or chutebox for that matter) but hes PRIDE alumni and i can't go against that.

i dont think shogun will try and trade with chuck for too long, so shogun by sub in the 3rd round!
tuvok500
2/1/08 2:56:00PM
Liddell rd 2 KO.

TimW001
2/1/08 3:02:52PM

Posted by loller90278

dang this has got me biting my nails.

i never really liked shogun too much (or chutebox for that matter) but hes PRIDE alumni and i can't go against that.

i dont think shogun will try and trade with chuck for too long, so shogun by sub in the 3rd round!

As I think about it more, I'm going with Chuck. Can you expect Shoguns take downs to take down Chuck? Look who chuck has sprawled against Radny, Tito, Jeremy Horn, Sobral. And Shogun had trouble taking down Forrest. I don't know if Shogun can come out and close the distance enough to use knees on Chuck. But I know Shogun will be using kicks against him, but if Chuck comes out like he did against Wanderlei then Chuck's going to win.

Honestly, I'm a hue fan of both, and I'm a bigger fan of Shogun. But this fight I'm going with Chuck. Though I would like to see shogun win, one of those 'passing the torch fights' in that case. Just imagine how amazing that would look, Thai clinch, and Chuck actually gets laid out.
focusrssvt
2/1/08 3:05:29PM
This is going to be great if Chuck beats him. I know if Shogun comes in shape this will be a pretty gnarly bang fest. I think if Chuck comes in hungry like he did for Wanderlei though he will win and get another title shot.
Gipper
2/1/08 3:18:50PM
fukeneh.
HighKick07
2/1/08 3:19:54PM
all i know is it gets better and better.i thought when forrest vs. shogun that was a fantasy.but now.my god!! ps. ufc 80 best card ive ever seen.
CornishMMA
2/1/08 3:22:36PM
Hmm that didnt take long

It was clear this was going to happen from the 2 articles we had earlier today

Chuck wants to fight in Vegas
Shogun wants to fight sooner

Not sure why the UFC have made this fight? Are we really meant to expect the winner to get the next title shot after Forrest? What about Jardine?

Would of loved this fight when they were both ranked #1 and #2 around a year ago but im not so sure about it anymore, its a rough fight for Shogun coming off a loss and not yet having a win in the UFC
Jujiden
2/1/08 4:52:33PM

Posted by wolfman

Yeah, these cards are shaping up nicely so far. I am very excited for this fight. Unfortunately, I don't want to see either fighter lose. Especially, Liddell since he is one of my favorites and Shogun is too, yet I have been supporting Liddell much longer. It is unfortunate that Shogun may go 0-2. I think there is a good chance that Liddell will win, Liddell is a bad match up for Shogun. I hope it is a good fight and that it does not go to a decision, yet it more than likely will. If it does go to a decision, it had better be a good fight like Silva/Liddell.

I have to respectably disagree. I know a lot of people on this thread and all over the world see Chuck winning. And he may very well do so. It could play out to be a carbon copy of Liddell vs. Overeem in PRIDE. However. I personally feel Shogun's striking abilities are bar none regardless of the outcome of the Griffin fight. And the reach adavntage has got to at least be equal between the two.

That said, I see Shogun by KO or TKO in Round 2.

Feel free to disagree.
fedorwins1
2/1/08 5:14:26PM
I'm loving Joe Silva right now

Finally we are seeing fights that were just a dream a year ago. I think Shogun could win a decision, but that's about it. Chuck has an amazing sprawl and has avoided that takedown from much better wrestlers than Shogun. Chuck's striking plays good into Shogun's style also. On the other hand, if Shogun comes in shape, motivated, and keeps moving forward and being aggressive he could pull it out.
Boo_Radley21
2/1/08 5:24:45PM

Posted by fedorwins1

I'm loving Joe Silva right now

Finally we are seeing fights that were just a dream a year ago. I think Shogun could win a decision, but that's about it. Chuck has an amazing sprawl and has avoided that takedown from much better wrestlers than Shogun. Chuck's striking plays good into Shogun's style also. On the other hand, if Shogun comes in shape, motivated, and keeps moving forward and being aggressive he could pull it out.

They really are making great cards so far. Lots of amazing fights and a great 2008 as of now. Hopefully it doesn't change and start to suck. I personally don't want to see another card with something like Franklin vs Okami as the main event.
loonytnt
2/1/08 5:30:10PM
i like this news
prozacnation1978
2/1/08 5:42:09PM
what a mega fight, it would be perfect if it's a freebie on spike, but i doubt it. shogun is awesome but after how he looked against forrest i have to pick lidell by ko this is not going to the judges, great main event
cmill21
2/1/08 5:56:11PM
I think Shogun's going to take this. Reasons are solid chin(never been stopped by strikes), great muay thai(crushed Overeem who's a great striker) and also I think all of this "chuck's got such great stand up" is a little overrated, chuck's been beaten on quite a few times by good strikers(watch the overeem fight, up until Overeem gassed he was killing chuck). I do think this fight depends heavily on how chuck defends the clinch.
postman
2/1/08 6:12:33PM
I think everyone needs to remeber the Jardine fight and relize Shogun is going to do the samething as keith did only about 5X better. After he beats those legs up awhile the he will go in for the clinch and thats when the ko will happen. Just one man opinion.
telnights
2/1/08 7:07:17PM
This will be a really good fight but have to give Chuck the edge due to how their styles match up.

Chuck Rnd 1 KO/TKO
Boo_Radley21
2/1/08 7:17:14PM

Posted by postman

I think everyone needs to remeber the Jardine fight and relize Shogun is going to do the samething as keith did only about 5X better.

Then compare what Jardine did to Forrest and what Rua did to Forrest jk
cmill21
2/1/08 8:03:04PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Posted by postman

I think everyone needs to remeber the Jardine fight and relize Shogun is going to do the samething as keith did only about 5X better.

Then compare what Jardine did to Forrest and what Rua did to Forrest jk

Then compare what Jackson did to Chuck and what Shogun did to Jackson jk MMA math is fun boys and girls.
NatedawgThaM
2/1/08 8:05:18PM
Chucks gonna get KTFO. The Shogun from PRIDE is coming back!!!
cmill21
2/1/08 8:09:06PM
Off topic but i'll make an avtar bet with anyone on this fight.
Boo_Radley21
2/1/08 8:14:15PM

Posted by cmill21

Off topic but i'll make an avtar bet with anyone on this fight.

but what about the cro cop av Cmill?
Pages: [1] 2