Shogun's camp deny he turned down Teixeira at UFC 149

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Shogun's camp deny he turned down Teixeira at UFC 149
Next Page »
prophecy033
6/5/12 12:01:39AM
Confusion surrounds the camp of Mauricio Shogun Rua after UFC president Dana White claimed the Brazilian turned down a fight with Glover Teixeira.

Shogun had been supposed to fight Thiago Silva at UFC 149, but Silva is out of the fight due to injury. Although not officially confirmed by the UFC, Shogun is widely believed to be without an opponent.

White recently told MMA Junkie: "With Thiago hurt, we turned to Glover and asked him to go right back in to fight Shogun at UFC 149. But Shogun's people are adamantly refusing to take the fight. They want nothing to do with Glover."

Link
jae_1833
6/5/12 1:04:21AM
Cool, sign already then......
Pookie
6/5/12 1:26:24AM

Posted by jae_1833

Cool, sign already then......

Apparently there's nothing to sign yet, as it hasn't been offered.
FastKnockout
6/5/12 1:49:24AM
This isn't the first time Daddy Dana accuses a fighter of turning down a fight and the fighter saying otherwise.. and it's getting annoying.
lll-lll
6/5/12 8:22:02AM
Props to Shoguns camp for knowing a loss when they see one and preventing him from getting some head trauma and a loss.
lll-lll
6/5/12 8:25:55AM
lll-lll
6/5/12 8:26:57AM

Posted by FastKnockout

This isn't the first time Daddy Dana accuses a fighter of turning down a fight and the fighter saying otherwise.. and it's getting annoying.

Yeah like when Couture denied the UFC paid him what they claimed for his fights and Daddy Dana and Lorenzo dropped checks on his a$$. I see no reason for Dana to lie. What does he have to gain by making fighters look like pu$$ies? NOTHING!

Shogun is ducking Glover and with good reason. If he isn't ducking then his camp needs to come out and say they will accept the fight. Until then he is a fight ducker!
grappler0000
6/5/12 9:55:35AM
Maybe his management turned down the fight? That's what happened with Swick/Leben.
airkerma
6/5/12 9:57:50AM

Posted by lll-lll

Posted by FastKnockout

I see no reason for Dana to lie. What does he have to gain by making fighters look like pu$$ies? NOTHING!

Shogun is ducking Glover and with good reason. If he isn't ducking then his camp needs to come out and say they will accept the fight. Until then he is a fight ducker!

1. He certainly has a reason to lie, it puts the fans on his side and against the fighter who is allegedly ducking. Dana just straight up lied to Faber (props $20), so really it shouldn't be unfathomable that he would do so again.
2. There is no true evidence that Shogun is ducking Glover.
3. His camp and he can't accept a fight if it hasn't been offered.
4. If Shogun doesn't want the fight, it doesn't make him a ducker. When has he ever ducked anyone at all? A win over Kingsbu in the UFC does not warrant a fight with Shogun, who was the champ just over a year ago.
aussiemma
6/5/12 11:09:14AM
i can see why he is ducking glover texeira (thats if he even is), the dude is a dead set beast and must have the heaviest hands in the division.
prozacnation1978
6/5/12 12:03:19PM
If that's true. This fight would be signed already
What's the hold up
Shawn91111
6/5/12 1:59:40PM

Posted by lll-lll

Posted by FastKnockout

Yeah like when Couture denied the UFC paid him what they claimed for his fights and Daddy Dana and Lorenzo dropped checks on his a$$. I see no reason for Dana to lie. What does he have to gain by making fighters look like pu$$ies? NOTHING!

He lied about Dan Henderson turning down Machida, when it was never offered to him and he went on record saying it was never offered.

Its not ducking when he really has nothing to gain from taking on that fight.

Dana has lied plenty, plenty of times before.
lll-lll
6/5/12 3:11:20PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by lll-lll

Posted by FastKnockout

He lied about Dan Henderson turning down Machida, when it was never offered to him and he went on record saying it was never offered.

Gotta love Shogun nutriders. First off Dana making a mistake isnt lying. I never saw him go on record saying he purposefully lied about Hendoerson.

Secondly turning down a fight with a guy who is ranked near you is ducking. You Shogun fans act like hes #1 or something. The guy isnt even top 5 at the weight class. Glover is fringe top 10 based on skill and winning streak. Id say 11-13th range. Shogun is 8-10 range IMO. He lost 3 out of his last 5 fights (cry about the Machida fight all you want its a loss) and he got beat by a 40 YO guy who is a natural 185 lb fighter.

The reality is that Glover is a serious threat and Shogun wants NO PART OF HIM. Its an easy fix if he does. Just come out and say I ACCEPT.
lll-lll
6/5/12 3:19:11PM

Posted by airkerma

Posted by lll-lll

Posted by FastKnockout

I see no reason for Dana to lie. What does he have to gain by making fighters look like pu$$ies? NOTHING!

1. He certainly has a reason to lie, it puts the fans on his side and against the fighter who is allegedly ducking. Dana just straight up lied to Faber (props $20), so really it shouldn't be unfathomable that he would do so again.
2. There is no true evidence that Shogun is ducking Glover.
3. His camp and he can't accept a fight if it hasn't been offered.
4. If Shogun doesn't want the fight, it doesn't make him a ducker. When has he ever ducked anyone at all? A win over Kingsbu in the UFC does not warrant a fight with Shogun, who was the champ just over a year ago.

1. That is pretty paranoid. Why does he need to rally fans to his side against Shogun? So he is scheming against Shogun for what? He isnt going to change minds about Shogun anyhow. Most people either love him to a near homosexual extent or hate him anyhow.

2. The evidence is that the president of teh UFC said he turned the fight down. That is good enough for me. Dana says this stuff all the time, and only certain few fighters ever try to smoke screen their cowardice with this kind of crap. Most just give an excuse and move on.

3. Dana claims it has been offered. I see no reason to think he lied or woudl lie. Again I say he has NOTHING to gain from making Shogun look bad.

4. If he turned it down because he is afraid to lose to Glover then he is a ducker. He isnt champ or anywhere near a title shot. So he is free game to fight anyone on the roster. Quit making him out to be TOO SPECIAL to fight Glover. He is not different that anyone else. Just another contender for teh belt just liek Glover and anyone else.
Shawn91111
6/5/12 3:44:38PM

Posted by lll-lll

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by lll-lll

Posted by FastKnockout

Gotta love Shogun nutriders. First off Dana making a mistake isnt lying. I never saw him go on record saying he purposefully lied about Hendoerson.

Secondly turning down a fight with a guy who is ranked near you is ducking. You Shogun fans act like hes #1 or something. The guy isnt even top 5 at the weight class. Glover is fringe top 10 based on skill and winning streak. Id say 11-13th range. Shogun is 8-10 range IMO. He lost 3 out of his last 5 fights (cry about the Machida fight all you want its a loss) and he got beat by a 40 YO guy who is a natural 185 lb fighter.

The reality is that Glover is a serious threat and Shogun wants NO PART OF HIM. Its an easy fix if he does. Just come out and say I ACCEPT.

Why do you assume anybody that replies to someone is a fan of that fighter? Im not a Shogun fan at all, I only root for Dan Henderson, thats it.

Dana making "mistakes" by saying such and such fighters turned down fights when they didnt, is lying.

That's a big step down in name and a very dangerous fight that he very well could lose. From a business perspective, there is little upside to taking this fight. He needs a win, and that was the Silva fight, not from someone like Glover.

prophecy033
6/5/12 3:46:20PM

Posted by lll-lll

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by lll-lll

Posted by FastKnockout

You look like more of a Glover nutrider then Shawn and them are Shogun Nutriders.
Shawn91111
6/5/12 3:47:09PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by lll-lll

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by lll-lll

Posted by FastKnockout

You look like more of a Glover nutrider then Shawn and them are Shogun Nutriders.

I dont even really like Shogun, thats the funny part. I dont hate nor like him.
lll-lll
6/5/12 3:56:23PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by lll-lll

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by lll-lll

Posted by FastKnockout

Ive been awaiting Glover for a long time and Im a fan, but Im not unrealistic like Shogun fans. Glover has holes in his game, and comes in at an age when the back slide begins for some guys. I also do not believe that he is some new test for Jones or anything unreasonable liek that. I just really would like to see this fight because it has a real chance of being similar to Hendo/Shogun IMO. My main issue is that Shogun always has an excuse for EVERYTHING. Then his fans compound the excuses by parroting them daily. I cant stand that. It is a simple fix. If Shogun isn't worried about the fight all he has to do is accept the damn fight. yet his people tap dance around that truth and then fans get on message boards and claim he has nothing to gain from it like Shogun is something special. What is he gaining? He isn't getting a title shot after that embarassment vs Jones and then again vs a 40YO Henderson.
Shawn91111
6/5/12 4:15:51PM

Posted by lll-lll

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by lll-lll

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by lll-lll

Posted by FastKnockout

Ive been awaiting Glover for a long time and Im a fan, but Im not unrealistic like Shogun fans. Glover has holes in his game, and comes in at an age when the back slide begins for some guys. I also do not believe that he is some new test for Jones or anything unreasonable liek that. I just really would like to see this fight because it has a real chance of being similar to Hendo/Shogun IMO. My main issue is that Shogun always has an excuse for EVERYTHING. Then his fans compound the excuses by parroting them daily. I cant stand that. It is a simple fix. If Shogun isn't worried about the fight all he has to do is accept the damn fight. yet his people tap dance around that truth and then fans get on message boards and claim he has nothing to gain from it like Shogun is something special. What is he gaining? He isn't getting a title shot after that embarassment vs Jones and then again vs a 40YO Henderson.

So Glover goes from fighting Kingsbury who is way below gatekeeper status to someone who just was champion last year and just fought a #1 contender fight?

prophecy033
6/5/12 4:15:56PM

Posted by Shawn91111

I dont even really like Shogun, thats the funny part. I dont hate nor like him.

I'm impartial, not one of the guys I get excited about but when there is a good matchup ill gain interest
airkerma
6/5/12 4:43:41PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by lll-ll

So Glover goes from fighting Kingsbury who is way below gatekeeper status to someone who just was champion last year and just fought a #1 contender fight?

no good shawn, i tried that logic as well. The response i was given emphasized my nuthuggery for shogun (im a machida fan ) and the like. Nobody on this thread is hugging nuts...I really don't see why saying dana has a tendency to lie and that it's unlikely that shogun is "ducking" someone.
Shawn91111
6/5/12 4:48:09PM

Posted by airkerma

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by lll-ll

no good shawn, i tried that logic as well. The response i was given emphasized my nuthuggery for shogun (im a machida fan ) and the like. Nobody on this thread is hugging nuts...I really don't see why saying dana has a tendency to lie and that it's unlikely that shogun is "ducking" someone.

Shogun nuthugger
Kpro
6/5/12 4:50:31PM

Posted by airkerma

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by lll-ll

I heard he wants to fight Glover, but he's ducking Kingsbury.
Budgellism
6/5/12 4:54:55PM

Posted by lll-lll

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by lll-lll

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by lll-lll

Posted by FastKnockout

lol, who is this guy? You're delusional. Everything you've said so far on this thread is laughable.
jlock003
6/5/12 6:31:38PM
The "Dana Lies" argument is killing me. To equate lying to a fighter about who his opponent is going to be after clearly saying that the fight would be reveled two days later on a show with slipping ratings that you have a need to promote to making up offering a fight to a particular camp is a stretch. Did big bad Dana lie to Urijah? Yes he did. Was it the best way to handle the situation? Probably not. Does it mean that the president and chief promoter of the world's premier mixed martial arts organization is an habitual liar harboring ill will toward his fighters? If someone asked me that before I read through this thread I would've assumed it was rhetorical. The reality is outside of the Dana is a liar argument pretty much everybody (well almost everybody) has a valid point. Dana has no reason to make his fighters look weak. He's a promoter and he's trying to bait Shogun into taking the fight against Glover much like he encouraged Koz to try to bait B.J. into fighting. It's completely possible that Shogun's camp just turned the fight down and Shogun himself doesn't even deal with that side of things until his management team finds a suitable replacement for the injured opponent. It's also possible that Shogun just assumed with his resume that Dana wouldn't tell everybody that he refused the fight. Shogun doesn't have as much to gain in the fight as Glover does, but the fight could be packaged really really well. Glover hasn't lost since 05, has only 2 decision wins in 18 victories, and is a dangerous guy for anybody. Glover winning a fight against Shogun would be a great thing from a promotional standpoint, but it would obviously cause a great deal of damage to Shogun's career. Shogun is 4-4 in the UFC. Granted his 8 opponents were immeasurably more difficult to beat than Glover's last 8, or 18 but he still needs a win. It's not in his best interest to take the fight. At the end of the day if I'm Shogun I really don't want to take this fight because I can't see the benefit in beating Teixeira but if I'm Dana I really want to make this fight happen because I can see it propelling Glover into the forefront of the division, or revitalizing the career of one of the sports most feared fighters. I don't subscribe to the "nuthugger" theory probably because most people would call me a Dana nuthugger, but I can see both sides of the argument. Hopefully everyone in the picture can reach a common understanding and the fans get whatever the best fight out there is for both of these guys.
bjj1605
6/5/12 6:52:15PM
The only thing I've learned from reading this thread is that Shawn and aikierma are gigantic Shogun nut huggers.

Thats the important take-away.

Kpro
6/5/12 6:56:24PM

Posted by bjj1605

The only thing I've learned from reading this thread is that Shawn and aikierma are gigantic Shogun nut huggers.

Thats the important take-away.

And Shogun is ducking Kingsbury. Can't forget that part.
Pookie
6/5/12 7:38:40PM
What i've learned on the internet: The first to proclaim Nuthuggery is usually a hater
BigBadAl
6/6/12 4:44:07AM
I heard Kenny Florian is coming out of retirement to fight Teixeira. Winner gets a shot at the title.
sbulldavid
6/6/12 9:09:46PM
I'm the biggest Shogun fan out their....I wouldn't fight Glover either, nothing to gain from it, that's the kind of fight you use to springboard to a title shot and he doesn't want to be the springboard, what's wrong with making smart decisions.
Pages: [1] 2