Shogun bandwagon

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Shogun bandwagon
eataface
9/22/07 4:43:31PM
Not sure if anyone started this yet.

But whatevers you get the idea, I am a Forrest fan just can't see him getting past Shogun.

WAR SHOGUN
Twenty20Dollars
9/22/07 5:24:34PM
Like i picked shogun to win but i just have this feeling that I want forrest to beat shogun idk its weird. The same thing happens with my football picks I will pick one team but root for the other team because I like them even though I know they might not win.
fedorwins1
9/22/07 5:25:41PM
WAR SHOGUN!!
ocho-cinco
9/22/07 6:03:02PM
I really like Griffen, but I want Shogun to win this fight, with Griffen putting in a gutsy performance. I hope Shogun gets to be Champ, he deserves it after taking a back seat to Wanderlei in Pride. I don't want another bust like cro cop.
Mastodon2
9/22/07 6:28:56PM
I want Shogun to win, and I think he will. Forrest is cool an all, he has had some great fights, The war with Bonnar, the fight where he took Tito to a decision (that imo Forrest deserved) but he doesn't have the skill to beat Shogun. I'd give him a 5% chance of winning, which is "punchers chance" territory.

I love seeing Shogun winning fights though, he has the kind of ballsy aggression that makes for absolutely fantastic viewing, and he makes awesome finishes.
DevonFoxy
9/22/07 6:36:29PM
I also have Shogun winning. I love Forrest Griffen he is so funny and a guy you cant help but cheer for. I dont see Shogun finishing him as Forrest will gut out to a UD in favor of Shogun. I think when everyone counts out Forrest he does the best. We will see though.
SqWaGGy
9/22/07 6:46:06PM
WAR SHOGUN!

Hopefully he has a good debut, I see no reason why he shouldn't. So pumped for this fight
cmill21
9/22/07 6:47:28PM
I'm very excited for tonight as a whole.
DevonFoxy
9/22/07 6:52:26PM

Posted by cmill21

I'm very excited for tonight as a whole.

Every fight on the main card im very excited for as well. I think every single fight has the chance to go the distance ( with the exception of Liddell/Jardine but that as well could if both are scared to get too close.) I cant wait to see Tyson Griffin Tavares what a war thats going to be. I dont see me being able to take a pee break thoughout the entire event which makes me sad but i cant wait for this PPV. This is money well spent right here
mkiv9secsupra
9/22/07 9:18:23PM
Hopefully now that they are not on the same fight team we will get to see Wandy murder Shogun.....
SteedTheDeed
9/23/07 3:41:44AM
ouch, didn't expect shogun to get owned like that. but good job forrest. PRIDE nuthuggers will still deny that PRIDE fighters are just overrated.
Svartorm
9/23/07 5:26:09AM
Weird that he gassed so badly. Hes had some extremely high-paced fights in Pride where he didn't get that tired.

My brother and I were talking about it and, being an asthmatic, he mentioned that the air quality in the places you fight and train makes a huge difference as far as your cardio goes. Japan has clean air, decent humidity and most of the places they fight are near sea level, so perhaps fighting in Vegas, which has extremely dry air, a bit of altitude and a bit of air pollution might have an effect on fighters not used to it.

Actually, China is in a bit of trouble for the upcoming Olympics because their air quality is so terrible, and it will have an adverse effect on athletes.
hathcock32
9/23/07 5:37:35AM

Posted by Svartorm

Weird that he gassed so badly. Hes had some extremely high-paced fights in Pride where he didn't get that tired.

My brother and I were talking about it and, being an asthmatic, he mentioned that the air quality in the places you fight and train makes a huge difference as far as your cardio goes. Japan has clean air, decent humidity and most of the places they fight are near sea level, so perhaps fighting in Vegas, which has extremely dry air, a bit of altitude and a bit of air pollution might have an effect on fighters not used to it.

Actually, China is in a bit of trouble for the upcoming Olympics because their air quality is so terrible, and it will have an adverse effect on athletes.

I think thats a bit much, i dont think air quality had to do with the victory....anyway go FORREST great performance
eataface
9/23/07 5:39:36AM
I JUST HAVE NO RESPONSE TO THIS AT ALL. I AM AT A UTTER LOSS OF WORDS HOW THE **** DOES THE SUPPOSED #1 LIGHT HEAVY WEIGHT LOSE DID HE EVEN TRAIN FOR THIS FIGHT.

**** AM I EVER PISSED PLUS I LOST A SHIT LOAD OF MONEY (MMAPLAYGROUND MONEY NOT REAL MONEY)
beasty
9/23/07 9:07:09AM
I picked Forrest to win...... just out of pure hate for the pride fighters. I made some cash last night.

Next time they bring in pride guys I will always pick the ufc guy.
Ydoc
9/23/07 9:29:54AM

Posted by Svartorm

This is probably the case. I also heard in Japan he did a **** tour to prepare for his fights, which would usually involve going around and having relations with 50 asians to loosen him up. But he tried this in Vegas, and had a burning sensation after the first woman. It really messed up his cardio. I think for his next fight he's going to have to ship in some of that grade "A" asian tail.

MMAnomale
9/24/07 11:53:32AM
I love Forrest, but Shogun is one of my favorite fighters of all time. I just lost ALL of my mmaplayground money on that fight. It looked like Shogun hadn't trained at all. I will never forget that dreadrul day. Maybe now Shogun will realize that these UFC fighters are no joke and start training like he used to, or maybe even better, especially for cardio. Give me a freakin break. Hell, Pride had 10 minute first rounds!! Shogun was tired at the beginning of the second.
keith-hackney1
9/24/07 12:01:09PM
Randy called it, the cage is a different world as opposed to the pride ring, its a huge transition that not many pridefc fighters can ajust too.
sakusback7
9/24/07 12:11:46PM

Posted by Svartorm

interesting theory
keith-hackney1
9/24/07 4:10:21PM

Posted by sakusback7

Posted by Svartorm

interesting theory

Iprefer randys theory, the air cant be that bad in california, can it ??
TNunley
9/24/07 4:13:20PM

Posted by keith-hackney1

Iprefer randys theory, the air cant be that bad in california, can it ??

No, the air is great. That colorful fog you see in the sky is pure oxygen!
Lethalweapon
9/24/07 4:43:44PM
I think that Shogun gassed out so quickly because he is used to the long 10 min first round in pride. Now when you put a break in the middle of that 10 min it does not translate well to Shoguns circaidian rhythm and his body is thrown off by it. Basically when Forrest goes back to his corner after the first round his body knows it is rest time and gets effective time to recover. However Shoguns body is still kicked up to high gear and his body does not get good use out of the rest period between the rounds because in Pride no such rest exsists. As for people predicting a change in the rules to effect Shogun I saw no such thing. He didn't get trapped on the fence and he actually landed an awesome elbow that cut Forrest. I think that Shoguns main concern is training to his cardio to be effective in UFC competition. I don't think it will be a problem for Shogun. Congrats to Forrest!
Rush
9/25/07 10:56:01AM

Posted by Svartorm

Japan has clean air, decent humidity and most of the places they fight are near sea level, so perhaps fighting in Vegas, which has extremely dry air, a bit of altitude and a bit of air pollution might have an effect on fighters not used to it.

You must be talking about Japan, but excluding the Tokyo area. I've been to Tokyo and it has some of the worst air quality that I've ever experienced.
johny_rotten
9/25/07 2:56:16PM
I am not making excuses, but after the fight I realized this: The prior week on the Elite XC show when Ninja was fighting the announcers mentioned that Shogun wasn't able to attend because he was on his honeymoon. I know for a fact he just got married, but did he seriously go on a honeymoon just a couple weeks before he had his debut in the UFC? If so that could explain his gassing.

I had that on another thread but it fist better here. I am sure another reason why Rua gassed is the adrenaline dump. Making his debut in the UFC had to carry with it some more nerves. I know he has been in big shows before, but he was used to Pride. I am sure the change in venue/rules made him a little more nervous. Rampage admitted to this happening to him in his UFC debut.