The Shogun Appreciation/PLEASE RETIRE thread!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » The Shogun Appreciation/PLEASE RETIRE thread!
40ouncetpkid
11/9/14 4:40:43AM
This is exactly what I said after the last Hendo fight. Both of them should of retired after that. They had the chance to go out after an instant classic. Now they are starting to look like Diego Sanchez. I love and appreciate all the wars but you don't need to kill any more brain cells for us. I don't like watching legends get KTFO by guys they could take in their prime.
FastKnockout
11/9/14 12:19:09PM
Yeah, I think it's time. I know he's still relatively young at 32 but he's been in a lot of wars since the Pride days and the injuries outside the cage are stacking up. I'd hate to see him end up like Chuck.
SpiderSilva
11/9/14 1:10:23PM
I don't think so. Not yet. It was a last minute replacement fight with a different style fighter. Chuck would go lights out in his fights. I think he needs like a year off then another go. Or maybe I'm a fan with hope.
george112
11/9/14 1:17:15PM
If i were Shogun I would take about a year and a half lay off while continuing to train.

I only suggest this if he actually were to take his training seriously while taking time off.

A lot of the fighters from the "old" days seem to think that they can get by on mostly just raw talent. This isn't possible nowadays with the breed of fighters out there now. A perfect example to this point is BJ Penn. I swear it never quite seemed like he would ever take his training THAT seriously, or at least as serious as say some of his opponents.

Idk just my .02
prozacnation1978
11/9/14 1:38:09PM
Shogun is young but his body is ten years older than him.

I like him a lot. It's time either retire or middleweight division

His ufc record is sad given his pride record.
I don't wanna see him going to Lidell route
Getting knocked out every fight
jae_1833
11/9/14 5:31:12PM
MW is an idea, I would have him move to the US (if he's not already here) and train under hard core tacticians like Jackson/Winklejohn...they gave Arvloski a rebirth.
aussiemma
11/9/14 6:11:47PM
I don't think he should retire. He looked good physically going into the fight and plus that counter from OSP was a freakish thing. He's shown in his recent fights even his losses against hendo and sonnen that he still has the fire and ability to compete with the top guys.

Ukrainian
11/9/14 6:15:41PM
I like Shogun, it would be another very sad day to see him go.
I believe this was a fluke however, I believe if his next camp goes well, and there are no changes in opponents, I believe he will prevail. That's my .05 cents!

Go Shogun
postman
11/9/14 7:41:19PM
Hard for me to tell a 32 year old guy it's time to hang them up. I think a change in strategy is a better move. He has to provide for his family the rest of his life. I know he has done well but who am I to say he's comfortable? Drop to mw focus on not absorbing punishment. I saw him throwing low kicks last night that was nice. Just time to adjust.
airkerma
11/10/14 8:57:04AM
It would definitely be hard to tell him to hang them up. I don't know how life will be for him when fighting is done but he can't take too many brutal shots anymore. I would like it if they gave him some easier fights...like krylov or something so we can all relive the glory days or shogun without focusing on higher ranked opponents.
Ukrainian
11/10/14 3:41:16PM

Posted by airkerma

It would definitely be hard to tell him to hang them up. I don't know how life will be for him when fighting is done but he can't take too many brutal shots anymore. I would like it if they gave him some easier fights...like krylov or something so we can all relive the glory days or shogun without focusing on higher ranked opponents.

Hey Krylov is a fellow Ukrainian! Don't speak badly of him!
GDPofMPG
11/12/14 12:43:56PM
Posters demanding athletes need to go away need to be retired.
Michael_Corleone
11/12/14 5:16:45PM
If he wants to retire, then yeah most def he needs to stop fighting. But there's too much money still out there on the table and if the UFC won't give a fight, he can go somewhere that will *cough *cough Bellator *cough *cough.