Shocker: Nick Diaz rebooked to meet B.J. Penn in UFC 137 co-main event

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Shocker: Nick Diaz rebooked to meet B.J. Penn in UFC 137 co-main event
Next Page »
kopower
9/8/11 8:14:27PM
Shortly after he booted Nick Diaz from a title fight with UFC welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre, UFC president Dana White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that reporters would "flip out" if they knew whom he was putting opposite B.J. Penn, whose original opponent Carlos Condit was promoted to meet St-Pierre.

And considering the past 48 hours, White is not too far off the mark.

The UFC president today tweeted that Diaz (25-7 MMA, 6-4 UFC) has been re-booked to meet Penn (16-7-2 MMA, 12-6-2 UFC) in the co-main event of UFC 137, which takes place on Oct. 29 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

Link
Adrenaline
9/8/11 8:18:49PM

I'll take BJ all day long.

Twenty20Dollars
9/8/11 8:19:12PM
I guess I want Beej to win.
kopower
9/8/11 8:20:22PM
The fight should be sick, and I can't wait for the staredown in the middle of the cage
KaibaThedon
9/8/11 8:20:58PM
lol the old SWITCHEROO

war prodigy
Poor_Franklin
9/8/11 8:23:21PM
BJ wins & yes the staredown will be sweet!!!!
DrivenDavies15
9/8/11 8:24:45PM
I actually want diaz to win, like him as a fighter just not so much his personality, WAR DIAZ
prophecy033
9/8/11 8:26:48PM
I like both these matchups better then the originals.

I'll do with B.J. on this. It will be a great fight tho. Both have good boxing and crazy BJJ. Diaz has the reach but IMO B.J. has the speed. It's a toss up really, I just have a feeling B.J. will pull it out
Aether
9/8/11 8:27:21PM
I actually like both of these fights better than the original matchups.
postman
9/8/11 8:29:58PM
God is that going to be an exciting boxing match! This should be real fun!
kopower
9/8/11 8:30:26PM
Man, 137 is an absolutely stacked card. It's not even funny.
Twenty20Dollars
9/8/11 8:30:27PM
Jab City

I think Diaz takes the decision.
Budgellism
9/8/11 8:34:32PM

Posted by kopower

It's gonna be awesome
tallica62
9/8/11 8:38:50PM

Posted by kopower

i find it hilarious
tallica62
9/8/11 8:39:51PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Jab City

I think Diaz takes the decision.

i just tried to prop a 2nd comment from u, but mmaplayground wont let me..so heres your prop...JAB CITY indeed
tallica62
9/8/11 8:42:20PM
as poopy as it is what diaz did, im glad to see him on the card cuz i like to watch him fight... maybe dana will never give him a title shot cuz of his press history, but i still wanna watch him fight

some guy in the original post of diaz being out called it...that bj will get diaz...im too lazy too look that guy up, but i wish u a prosporous future and many props
FastKnockout
9/8/11 8:42:55PM

Posted by kopower

The only issue I have with it is the lineup. Hatsu Hioki/George Roop on the main card instead of Dennis Siver vs. Donald Cerrone? Come on, now.
prophecy033
9/8/11 8:44:38PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by kopower

The only issue I have with it is the lineup. Hatsu Hioki/George Roop on the main card instead of Dennis Siver vs. Donald Cerrone? Come on, now.

that needs to change and fast
BeeR
9/8/11 8:45:47PM
Diaz wins
GSP wins

Diaz vs GSP in Toronto

yeah right
bjj1605
9/8/11 8:46:08PM
I love the matchup but I don't like this move. Either pull him from the card or give him the title shot. This doesn't make any sense and will be hard to explain/justify for casual fans.

All four of these guys (Penn, Diaz, GSP, Condit) are sick fighters. Both these match-ups will be title fight quality. In fact I'd love it if both fights were five rounds.

War CONDIT

War DIAZ
mrsmiley
9/8/11 8:49:25PM
The Drama of it all!
Madness,pure madness!!!!
kopower
9/8/11 8:54:50PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by kopower

that needs to change and fast

The Cerrone/Siver fight would be the perfect build up to the main card on Spike. But yes, Hioki/Roop should be exchanged.
mizike
9/8/11 9:17:51PM
I was so pissed that Diaz is not fighting for title, he would have kicked GSPs ass or at lest made GSP finally fight his heart out. BJ has been struggling, but this should be a good ass fight, yes the card is stacked as hell
Pookie
9/8/11 9:18:58PM
I was taking Gsp over Diaz & BJ Penn over Condit.

Now it's Diaz over Penn & Gsp over Condit, in a way more competitive fight.
sbulldavid
9/8/11 9:46:09PM
I think both of these fights are more exciting than the originals. I think Diaz could beat Penn but I think BJ's power will give him the edge in a three round fight. Should go to the cards for a split decision, lol .
Aether
9/8/11 9:54:50PM

Posted by mizike

I was so pissed that Diaz is not fighting for title, he would have kicked GSPs ass or at lest made GSP finally fight his heart out. BJ has been struggling, but this should be a good ass fight, yes the card is stacked as hell

Really doubt that. Diaz would have no chance of stopping GSP's takedowns, he would have like 10 seconds at the start of each round to land a punch before he wound up on his back, shrugging his shoulders and making faces about how unfair it is that wrestlers can hold him down.
Chael_Sonnen
9/8/11 10:27:43PM
Beej via 187
Michael_Corleone
9/8/11 10:31:23PM
The only thing those pitter-patter punches from Diaz are gonna do is piss BJ off.

B. Penn - KO
tmas
9/8/11 10:52:25PM
i believe the offer BJ couldnt refuse is a gaurenteed shot against the winner of GSP/Condit if he disposes of Diaz, and or maybe it was if you beat diaz and no matter what GSP does you can fight him next :P
telnights
9/8/11 11:50:35PM

Posted by Aether

Posted by mizike

Really doubt that. Diaz would have no chance of stopping GSP's takedowns, he would have like 10 seconds at the start of each round to land a punch before he wound up on his back, shrugging his shoulders and making faces about how unfair it is that wrestlers can hold him down.

Pages: [1] 2