In Shock!(Hill vs Emerson)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » In Shock!(Hill vs Emerson)
Next Page »
the-james
5/10/07 11:05:28PM
how the hell did all three judges give that fight to HIll he landed what two glancing jabs the whole round, Emerson didnt do much either but his legs kicks had Cory wobbling, just dont get it. Moving Forward souldnt Count for anything it doesnt cause damage .
Rush
5/10/07 11:10:20PM

Posted by the-james

how the hell did all three judges give that fight to HIll he landed what two glancing jabs the whole round, Emerson didnt do much either but his legs kicks had Cory wobbling, just dont get it. Moving Forward souldnt Count for anything it doesnt cause damage .

Moving forward should only count when you are throwing strikes or trying to shoot.
the-james
5/10/07 11:11:51PM

Moving forward should only count when you are throwing strikes or trying to shoot.

Exactly!
Ydoc
5/10/07 11:23:08PM
That was bullshit. Its Tait vs. Josh all over again. Rob had him in the standup and on what little ground we saw. Judges need to learn how to give points to leg kicks, because this is the second time (Jardine vs. Bonnar) someone was cheated due to little to no credit being given to the leg kick in the UFC.
scoozna
5/10/07 11:47:26PM
Pretty lame...

You can't say that BJ didn't do his job - screaming the whole time, trying to get Emerson to engage. If you don't go for it you leave it up to the judges to decide.

Emerson said something at the end like it's been his biggest problem his whole "career".
shackle
5/11/07 12:07:40AM
dana said it right pretty much "Emerson was fighting to not lose... not to win"

I mean come on corey just said he had no real pro fights. Emerson one of penn's better fighters should of ran over him.

It was very close IMO. the judges do give points for the person moving froward. So that maybe what gave it to cory in the 3rd round.

Cory has alot of work to do but he could be a great fighter, but I don't think he will be winning TUF.
the-james
5/11/07 12:27:06AM

Posted by Ydoc

That was bullshit. Its Tait vs. Josh all over again. Rob had him in the standup and on what little ground we saw. Judges need to learn how to give points to leg kicks, because this is the second time (Jardine vs. Bonnar) someone was cheated due to little to no credit being given to the leg kick in the UFC.

JBatch
5/11/07 1:03:48AM
i thought Emerson won it be4 the the third. I had the first a tie and the 2nd for Emerson. Legs kicks honestly can't count for much in the UFC scoring system.

I do have to say that Joe Lauzon is a beast, that elbow he just missed would a sent Geraghty into next week.
KnuckleSandwich
5/11/07 3:04:43AM
Emeroson could have dominated if he would thrown that leg kick more... He was way too passive , Hill won more than Emerson lost if that makes sense...
johny_rotten
5/11/07 3:14:21AM
Leg kicks can't count for much? An affective strike should be weighed more than moving forward. The only significant shots were 3 brutal leg kicks that stopped Cory in his tracks. It wasn't like Cory excelled at any other aspect of the game. There was no grappling, no one controlled the octagon, the only score was affective striking by Emerson that came in the form of leg kicks.
Svartorm
5/11/07 3:25:37AM

Posted by the-james

WHAT?!?!?! I had been watching it at the bar next to where I work and had left before the decision, because I thought it was obvious Emerson took it. I can't even fathom this.

Corey Hill landed exactly 1 solid punch and almost lost the fight for the ten seconds it was on the ground. He looked absolutely terrible out there.
wkm311
5/11/07 7:59:32AM

Posted by shackle

I mean come on corey just said he had no real pro fights. Emerson one of penn's better fighters should of ran over him.

Exactly, he didnt do what he needed to do in order to win the fight. He didnt step into distance and throw, he did throw some nice leg kicks, but thats about it. Your not going to win a fight at that level rushing in from the outside.
hippysmacker
5/11/07 8:58:21AM

Posted by shackle

It was very close IMO. the judges do give points for the person moving froward. So that maybe what gave it to cory in the 3rd round.

Cory has alot of work to do but he could be a great fighter, but I don't think he will be winning TUF.

I agree, re watched it twice just to make sure. My initial thought was the first round was close but Corey initiated almost all contact and landed on a 3 to 1 advantage. 2nd round was close with Corey pushing the action and landing more punches,but Emerson doing more damage. with leg kicks. Corey's inability to effectively GnP and Emerson's attempted sub give him round 2 for me. Round 3 not much done , but Corey initated most contact and landed more punches( 2 looked like they did good damage). Emerson had 3 good leg kicks that did more damage IMO , but octagon control and agression are 2 of the judging criteria. It could have gone either way, but I would actually narrowly score it for Corey. Most of all I don't like the idea of a guy who lost fair and square coming back on the show to advance. Corey made his weight and Gabe got booted. After watching that fight I think Corey would have beat Gabe. So in the end, justice wins out in my mind.
MMA
5/11/07 10:06:12AM
I also thought Emerson won too, but oh well. Hill sucked a lot, he was all talk man. The guy hardly used his ranged even though Emerson was scared to come in. I guess Hill must hit pretty hard or something because it obviously deterred him from getting inside (even though it looked like Emerson was getting the heavier shots in). Some of those leg kicks were devastating from Emerson, he should have threw more of them but he was scared of getting TD, even though when he did get TD, he had Hill in an ankle lock.

Let's face it, they both sucked. Dana was right, everything was there for Emerson to take the win but he fell short (even though I thought he won). Like Hill plain sucked after all that talk (which is understandable since this was his first ever professional fight). I see Hill getting eliminated in the semi-finals.
Leland
5/11/07 10:31:33AM
i think Emerson won. That was too close to even decide really. Total draw it looked like. I would have said Emerson on the mean leg kick's. He was ripping them to him, cutting him down like a tree! Lauzon put on a great show
Rush
5/11/07 12:09:46PM

Posted by shackle

Cory wasn't fighting to win either.

The fact that he has no pro fights should be irrelevant in the judges decision. I think Emmerson did give him too much respect.

I didn't see a lot of forward moving. It was more lateral by both fighters. As I said before, just moving forward should mean nothing if you are not trying to shoot or throw strikes. Otherwise you would have super tall guys just holding their arms out.

Cory will not win TUF. I think it will be either Joe or Manny (if he can stay healthy).
nubby
5/11/07 1:15:58PM
I thought that second fight was disgusting. Both of those fighters are given an opportunity to really become professional fighters and they show up with their C game. It was rediculous that of the three rounds I could count on my hands how many punches were thrown. If I were Dana White I would make it clear to the rest of the fighters that if they show that kind of lack of agression they will never work in pride or the UFC.

Hell, If I were Dana, after that third round I wouldn't even have waited for the Judges decision, I would have thrown them both off the show.
shackle
5/11/07 1:20:31PM
Yeah people seem to forget this. Just like the serra/chris fight. thats the way these judges score, and if you don't like it send them a hateful letter to the judges lol :)

I think scoring this way will push a fighter to control the fight, and fight harder in the future so I think it's a good thing. I don't think that all the fighters know this rule could lose the fight for them nor many of the fans.

Neither fighter was pushing the phase well, but Emerson was backing up more. So that gives the control to cory thats how the judges see it. Like it or not thats what most likely gave cory the fight. Fighter should know the rules/scoring system before they get in there.

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by shackle

I agree, re watched it twice just to make sure. My initial thought was the first round was close but Corey initiated almost all contact and landed on a 3 to 1 advantage. 2nd round was close with Corey pushing the action and landing more punches,but Emerson doing more damage. with leg kicks. Corey's inability to effectively GnP and Emerson's attempted sub give him round 2 for me. Round 3 not much done , but Corey initated most contact and landed more punches( 2 looked like they did good damage). Emerson had 3 good leg kicks that did more damage IMO , but octagon control and agression are 2 of the judging criteria. It could have gone either way, but I would actually narrowly score it for Corey. Most of all I don't like the idea of a guy who lost fair and square coming back on the show to advance. Corey made his weight and Gabe got booted. After watching that fight I think Corey would have beat Gabe. So in the end, justice wins out in my mind.

george112
5/11/07 2:19:33PM

Posted by JBatch

i thought Emerson won it be4 the the third. I had the first a tie and the 2nd for Emerson. Legs kicks honestly can't count for much in the UFC scoring system.

I do have to say that Joe Lauzon is a beast, that elbow he just missed would a sent Geraghty into next week.

I was thinkin the exact same thing...those leg kicks were landing an doin way more damage then coreys jab an weak exchanges
CaseyKrajenka
5/11/07 2:51:41PM
I have no idea how they gave the fight to Corey ?!?! He did absolutley nothing, Emerson was at least engaging some, and he had Hill a little wobbly with his leg kicks so that should have been enough to give the fight to Emerson.
cowcatcher
5/11/07 3:17:32PM
like a broken record: WTF was that, i guess octagon control counts for something, but in a fight i see damage as the main criteria for judging and like most others said the leg kicks were brutal and won the fight in my eyes. i wanted cory to win, and im glad he did, but he better not bring that same style to the cage next time or he will not be around for long.
SteedTheDeed
5/11/07 4:46:44PM
rob has the skills the demolish corey and he chose not to use them, so i feel no compassion.
Mastodon2
5/11/07 4:53:07PM
What a screw over, not to bash UFC, but in Pride the leg kick gets the points it deserves, in UFC its seen as a mere passive defence. I wish the UFC judges would all take 5 leg kicks before they are allowed to judge officially, just so they know how effective and destructive they are.

The only solace I find in this is that Corey looked dreadful, hopefully someone will put him out in the semis. Im sure he couldnt hang with the likes of Nate and Lauzon.
Northrend
5/11/07 7:34:22PM

Posted by nubby

I thought that second fight was disgusting. Both of those fighters are given an opportunity to really become professional fighters and they show up with their C game. It was rediculous that of the three rounds I could count on my hands how many punches were thrown. If I were Dana White I would make it clear to the rest of the fighters that if they show that kind of lack of agression they will never work in pride or the UFC.

Hell, If I were Dana, after that third round I wouldn't even have waited for the Judges decision, I would have thrown them both off the show.

Wow you make it sound alot worse then it was. If you wanted them both of the show did you ever watch Rashad on TUF 2? He had 2-3 fights that were just as boring. Sucks for Robert, I had him winning it as well. Robert get's alot of tough breaks judge's wise. If you have seen his fight with Melvin Guilard, Mishima or Randy Velarde IMO he should of easily won those fights as well. Even the Javier Vasquez fight was close but that decision was right I thought.
shakeandbake
5/11/07 9:57:57PM
corey is the tim sylvia of the lightweight division. he is too goofy to beat joe or manny imo, but i thought he won the fight against emerson. he landed a little combination and landed a few crappy jabs in the third round, and emerson didnt do much. maybe 2 or 3 leg kicks.
Stickan
5/12/07 8:26:41AM

Posted by shakeandbake

corey is the tim sylvia of the lightweight division. he is too goofy to beat joe or manny imo, but i thought he won the fight against emerson. he landed a little combination and landed a few crappy jabs in the third round, and emerson didnt do much. maybe 2 or 3 leg kicks.

Pretty bad comparison. Way more aggressive than Sylvia IMO. I thought Corey won based on aggression and landing strikes and effect. Some of Coreys strikes seemed to stagger or at least put Emerson off balance.
I admit it, those leg kicks were devastating and all but he barely threw any in the last round. The last and deciding round definately went to Corey. The other two were both toss-ups.
methodman_90
5/12/07 5:41:48PM
Let's not forget that its Corey's first pro fight. I have a feeling that he is gonna be the Rashad Evans of this season. He has alot of potential and is pretty much still learning from the best like Pulver and Jeremy Horn. I say give him time but it depends if its enough time
Damien6663
5/13/07 11:02:04AM
It was a very very very close fights, neither guys really did enough to win a decision. Emerson threw about 3 legs kicks in the 3rd round, and they did damage. Hill stalked him and landed a few jabs, but was more aggressive. It all comes down to how one interprets who should win, obviously the judges felt that aggression was more important.

i did score it for Emerson but could see it going either way, and was happy since im a hill fan =)
warglory
5/13/07 1:51:10PM
How in the hell did Hill win this match? He lost Rd. 1 AND Rd. 2. Everyone is saying the first was so close, but Emerson was involved in tons of flurries causing Corey to "BACK UP" significantly. Corey landed a few punches, but Emerson controlled that round completely. And I don't even have to comment on the second round, it was totally Emerson's fight in that one.

I like Corey, I think he is a good guy, but he better not get cocky after this fight. I hope he takes this as a learning experience and runs with it.
gcraig22
5/13/07 3:26:03PM
Not a good fight. If Corey gets in the cage with a wrestler I think he is in trouble. Rob might have won with more time in the 2nd round. I don't think Corey has any defense on the ground. He is gonna get smashed or submitted.
Pages: [1] 2