Shinya Aoki to train with Cesar Gracie Jiu-Jitsu:

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Shinya Aoki to train with Cesar Gracie Jiu-Jitsu:
jae_1833
4/23/10 12:58:19PM
link
4) Cesar Gracie accepts Aoki Shinya's request to train at Team Graciefighter. Invites more Japanese fighters to make the trip.
TimW001
4/23/10 1:23:14PM
This is good. I think Japanese fighters need to start trainign in the US if they want to be great. The US has the best MMA gyms in the world. Look at the change we saw in Okami.
jae_1833
4/23/10 2:04:28PM
I think a lot of Japanease fighters could gain from the wrestling and weight cutting the most. Americans are the best at those two catagories by far. I also think that all fighters should consider cross training with other camps or even switching camps every couple of years to gain new ideas and a fresh perspective on their total game.
FlashyG
4/23/10 2:27:28PM
I would have liked to see him join somewhere with more of a wrestling background.

Maybe after that Nashville card he plans on having the Diaz brothers/Shields or Melendez jump in and help him get a takedown.
seanfu
4/23/10 4:09:15PM
So Shinya Aoki has clear weakness in wrestling and all striking, and is an unmatchable talent in BJJ and a Judo blackbelt. So he comes to America to train in BJJ. I don't get it, at all.
State_Champ
4/23/10 4:46:30PM

Posted by seanfu

So Shinya Aoki has clear weakness in wrestling and all striking, and is an unmatchable talent in BJJ and a Judo blackbelt. So he comes to America to train in BJJ. I don't get it, at all.

Shields' wrestling is pretty good (or it looked good against Henderson).

Also, this makes perfect sense to me if Aoki was thinking "I thought I was the best, but I got dominated by this American. He is superior to me and so I will train with him to become better." After all, Aoki did say this fight was between Japanese MMA and American MMA so maybe now he thinks American MMA is better and wants to learn it from the man who beat him.
seanfu
4/23/10 4:54:05PM

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by seanfu

Shields' wrestling is pretty good (or it looked good against Henderson).

Also, this makes perfect sense to me if Aoki was thinking "I thought I was the best, but I got dominated by this American. He is superior to me and so I will train with him to become better." After all, Aoki did say this fight was between Japanese MMA and American MMA so maybe now he thinks American MMA is better and wants to learn it from the man who beat him.

If Sheids' wrestling meant anything campwise then Nick or Nate might actually have above D level skills in it.

The camp is just more refining the already A+ skills he has in BJJ
sbulldavid
4/23/10 4:58:26PM
Cesar Gracie is a very good camp with good wrestlers and and solid striking all around, people think of it as a BJJ camp but these guys are GnPing people and slugging it out with kickboxers. I think it's good strategy, to find a well rounded camp that has BJJ as their backbone.
BlueSkiesBurn
4/23/10 9:02:11PM
I'm sure Aoki didn't join the camp to improve on his absurd submission skills. He must have seen something valuable there and I am sure that a talented fighter such as himself knows a good thing when he sees it. Regardless of their actions, you can't knock the C. Gracie camp. They have three champions. Gold speaks.
BustedKnuckle
4/30/10 7:37:57PM
Sweet at the next SF event we'll get to see "strechy pants" try to break somones arm in a post fight pillow fight. Seriously I would like to see him go somwhere he'll get some wrestling and striking help.
prozacnation1978
5/2/10 9:51:25AM
japanese fighters need places to train in the us
i dont know why cesar gracie when he might fight melendez again this year in japan
Kpro
5/3/10 1:12:26PM
Richard Perez is a boxing guru that the Cesar Gracie fight team is lucky to have and one of the best in the world. He's been training with Cesar Gracie for over 10 years and runs the Boxing/Muay Thai classes. He was the trainer for Rodney Jones (37-4, 3-time Light Middleweight Champ, in MMA that would be a Lightweight) his entire career, for those that remember him. If I remember correctly his dad and uncle were Golden Gloves champs and his grandfather was a sparring partner for Joe Louis. He's been boxing over 50 years since he was 5. Not gonna find a boxing coach with his pedigree at a place like AKA. They also have multiple kickboxing trainers at their gym. Not bad for a JJ school. And Shields and Melendez are easily world-class enough and the right size to teach Aoki the wrestling game.

I realize how someone could think that Cesar Gracie's school is just a JJ school, having 9 black belt trainers at one location, but with the boxing/wrestling trainers at their disposal I guess not everyone follows who is coaching where.

It'll be a great opportunity for Aoki to refine all aspects of his game.

Anyways, just figured toss out an informative post since a lot of people don't get past strictly the headline.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/3/10 4:21:30PM
Damn, Kpro, I just propped you for another post and I want to prop you for this one, too. I didn't know all of that information. That's some legit coaching pedigree to have at your disposal in one camp.
runningman08
5/4/10 2:11:07AM
I think he should do some training in the U.S. but im not sure why he chose Cesar Gracie when he might be fighting gilbert toward the end of the year.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/4/10 3:26:22AM
I don't think he will be re-matching Melendez after his decisive loss at SF: Nashville. It's not like it was a closely contested match-up.