Shinya Aoki vs. Eddie Alvarez Verbally Agreed For Bellator Bout

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Shinya Aoki vs. Eddie Alvarez Verbally Agreed For Bellator Bout
Next Page »
FastKnockout
8/24/11 2:45:18PM
A few months after his DREAM.17 bout this September, Shinya Aoki, who has moved his training camp out of Japan and into the Evolve MMA gym in Singapore, is likely to fight outside of Asia once again. Bellator lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez has been asking for a rematch against Aoki for quite some time now, and it looks like he's finally going to get his request.

The two met on Japan's New Year's Eve show almost three years ago, with Aoki only needing a minute and 32 seconds to lock in a submission.

LINK
Twenty20Dollars
8/24/11 3:06:53PM
Alvarez by tko

or

Aoki by sub

the choice is yours
prophecy033
8/24/11 3:13:51PM
If this does in fact go down, I don't know who I would go with. Probably Aoki again for the simple fact that his bjj is off the chain. He already caught Eddie once, although it was pretty early in the fight. I'm just glad that being from different promotions hasn't stopped some of these organizations from seeking the best possible matches. It's a win/win for us fans . Can I get an AMEN to that
DrivenDavies15
8/24/11 3:42:51PM

Posted by prophecy033

If this does in fact go down, I don't know who I would go with. Probably Aoki again for the simple fact that his bjj is off the chain. He already caught Eddie once, although it was pretty early in the fight. I'm just glad that being from different promotions hasn't stopped some of these organizations from seeking the best possible matches. It's a win/win for us fans . Can I get an AMEN to that

AMEN lol, I think Aoki would take this by submission again as well.
Budgellism
8/24/11 3:59:17PM
Eddie won't make the same mistake twice. Alvarez by dominating UD.
hashyandy4
8/24/11 4:02:42PM

Posted by Budgellism

Totally agree Budge, i see eddie getting a dominating UD
calitrees
8/24/11 4:05:24PM
Alvarez by tko. But i agree with prophecy no one will be complaining abou this match. Glad to see bellator not restricting their fighters.
machodog76
8/24/11 4:18:32PM

Posted by DrivenDavies15

Posted by prophecy033

AMEN lol, I think Aoki would take this by submission again as well.

Amen! I say UD for Alverez as well.
Playground_Samurai
8/24/11 4:27:38PM
Alvarez by UD.

Melendez showed the perfect formula for defeating Aoki, and I believe Eddie can replicate or even top that.
KungFuMaster
8/24/11 4:27:47PM
If Alvarez can box and stay on his feet, it should be an easy win for him IMO.

Aoki needs to evolve if he wants to become one of the bests. He really needs to work on his stand up and conventional western wrestling.
Poor_Franklin
8/24/11 4:31:17PM

Posted by Budgellism

nailed it
quezocrema0032
8/24/11 4:53:33PM

Posted by calitrees

Alvarez by tko. But i agree with prophecy no one will be complaining abou this match. Glad to see bellator not restricting their fighters.

Or protecting their champions.
DeadHead988
8/24/11 5:01:52PM
I think Alvarez will take this, but I'm pulling hard for Shinya. WAR AOKI!!!
tepid55
8/24/11 5:03:35PM
I would probably pick Aoki again, his BJJ is just too good.
Theoutlaw08
8/24/11 5:06:34PM
I think Alvarez wins via UD. But I would like to see these guys in the UFC soon, mixing it up with the top competition.
prophecy033
8/24/11 5:19:29PM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

I think Alvarez wins via UD. But I would like to see these guys in the UFC soon, mixing it up with the top competition.

I've always thought that if Dana truly feels he has the best fighters under the UFC banner, why not cross promote with other organizations champions to prove it
Pookie
8/24/11 5:26:51PM
Ima take Shinya again. Aoki doesn't need a takedown to submit him.
kopower
8/24/11 5:36:09PM
I think Alvarez just might crush him this time.
BustedKnuckle
8/24/11 6:13:40PM
YES!! YES!! YES!! YES!! YES!! YES!! YES!! YES!! YES!! YES!!................sorry I was doing a Sanchez YES cartwheel. I love this fight and hope to **** that it actually happens!!!
Cooler
8/24/11 7:56:47PM
One could make the argument that Alvarez has evolved enough to beat any lightweight but I cant get over how effortless Aoki can grap a leg, arm or choke on top of that it worked on the very first submission attempt against Alvarez. I dont believe the last fight was a fluke at all but my only concern is Aoki's uncomfortability with the cage. Melendez is damn near a black belt workin at Cesar Gracie's and I dont believe Alvarez is on the same level as those two.

I'm leaning toward Aoki in the rematch because I think he will actually train in a cage and plan smart for this one. Plus he has to be confident knowing he can tap out a very talented lightweight like Alvarez, the pressure is on Alvarez to defend the belt and avenge himself. Obviously could go either way but I think he'll be fighting off submission attempts before he gets caught in some triangle/gogoplata.
Sir_Karl
8/24/11 8:17:38PM
If Eddie doesn't catch him with some punches first Aoki will win by submission. I think both fighters need to eventually land in the UFC though where they can face some real competition. Some people think Aoki's ground game is so spectacular. Personally I think his ground game looks a lot better than it really is because he hasn't fought in the UFC. I think both fighters more than likely would get whooped hardcore against the UFC talent.
grappler0000
8/24/11 8:34:14PM
Cage vs Ring, Shorts vs Pants, US vs Japan

I'll take Eddie the second time around.
Twenty20Dollars
8/24/11 9:48:26PM
Eddie still has to face Michael Chandler too.
Aether
8/25/11 12:37:43AM
I think Alvarez is possibly the most overrated fighter on the planet. He's not a bad fighter, don't get me wrong, but sites like Sherdog ranking him as #5 at lightweight IMO is ridiculous. You don't get ranked in the top 10 for beating Pat Curran and Roger Huerta no matter how dominating your performance was.
jae_1833
8/25/11 1:39:54AM
I agree totally, while I personally do not have him in my top ten it's mainly due to the competition he has faced....now Shinya is in my top ten but it's only due to the competition he has faced....he is my #10. I think this fight is very competitve but due to Shinya's performance against Melendez and the fact that lately his cometition hasnt been much better I am left torn on the pick. Probably because I like Eddie more but I fear Aoki more. I don't think it will go to decision though at all.
Malaussie
8/25/11 1:47:15AM
I think I just jizzed in my pants
RhythmAndStyle
8/25/11 1:47:57AM
Aoki via sub again or a decision
pmoney
8/25/11 3:25:44AM
Aoki should still have his number.
kingsmasher
8/25/11 11:43:53AM

Posted by Budgellism

Agree BJJ is a wash if Alvarez can sprawl easy win...I dont think Aoki has good takedowns...
cowcatcher
8/25/11 11:55:20AM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by Budgellism

Agree BJJ is a wash if Alvarez can sprawl easy win...I dont think Aoki has good takedowns...

He doesn't have good TD's, but he sticks like herpes once he does grab hold of someone and can transition to the back standing as well as anyone in MMA. I like Eddie to win this too, but Aoki's a different breed of JJ fighter and is always a threat. Except in the kickboxing round...
Pages: [1] 2