Shinya Aoki Contemplates Fighting in the US

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Shinya Aoki Contemplates Fighting in the US
Wolfenstein
6/29/08 5:17:37PM
Shinya Aoki says most of the best fighters are in the US and he wouldn't mind testing the waters.

Link
joshryanshepherd
6/29/08 5:18:55PM
i say get his ass in the UFC so Penn would have some competition in the 155 pounders!
EON
6/29/08 5:19:08PM
I now respect him more than Gomi because hes willing to face competition outside his native lands and mostly native fighters.
Figsak
6/29/08 5:24:19PM
Aoki is the man. I'll pay for your flight Aoki!
xtra_chewy
6/29/08 5:29:01PM
That would be sweet, we could see how he fares in a cage. War Aoki.
juanez13
6/29/08 5:31:36PM

Posted by xtra_chewy

dont think he'll do good in a cage, if he gets pushed against the Cage, that would screw up his whole game, and in the UFC most guys are wrestlers and would probably do that. really dont think Aoki would do good in a Cage.
rabbit915
6/29/08 5:37:23PM
I think Aoki would do very well in the UFC ecspecially in a division full of wrestlers. Hes so good off his back, i cant see him losing to anyone other than BJ because i think hes the only one who has JJ even on the same level and BJ has better stand up.
xtra_chewy
6/29/08 5:44:56PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by xtra_chewy

dont think he'll do good in a cage, if he gets pushed against the Cage, that would screw up his whole game, and in the UFC most guys are wrestlers and would probably do that. really dont think Aoki would do good in a Cage.

I thought that myself but Aoki is a crafty son of a bitch. He probably couldnt defend the clinch to the cage/takedown but I could see him using his slick ground game to find a way to gain control and bring it to the center of the cage to finish via Aoki Rainbow Strangle Hold
candynuts
6/29/08 5:51:42PM
The question I want to know is if he will be able to wear his patented colored spats.
tepid55
6/29/08 6:06:15PM
I think Aoki would do better at 170 in the ufc.
clintjack
6/29/08 6:11:47PM
He would get destroyed in the UFC
Mayhem13
6/29/08 6:17:17PM
2 things to say about this:

1- Dana get this man signed and over here....NOW!

2- I do not think they are allowed wearing those cool pants over here....
lordicast
6/29/08 8:46:18PM

Posted by clintjack

1. Crack is illegal
2. Aoki's flying rubber guard could get him off the cage
3. WAR AOKI
Frost_777
6/29/08 8:48:56PM
i think that aoki could definetely beat sean sherk and any one else in the ufc with the exception of BJ Penn and maybe even kenny florian because kenny has pretty slick subs (not at the caliber of aoki or penn mind you) and good muai thai and BJ because he is a freak of nature and i think that BJ would beat GSP if they fought again (and that means alot because im a canadian) but i think the only way to find out is for him to get his A$$ in the ufc
jiujitsufreak74
6/29/08 9:52:59PM
guys, you can thank me for this. i tossed a penny in a wishing fountain yesterday and wished for this to happen.

I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyone that thinks he would get destroyed in the UFC is obviously an idiot. call me a nuthugger all you want but to blind yourslef to this man's awesome talent is bafoonish. he would do well in the UFC and i think he would control all of the wrestlers and only face a real problem with BJ.

Dana, please allow the pants in the UFC, i beg of you.

THIS JUST MADE MY F*CKING DAY
prozacnation1978
6/29/08 10:47:54PM
aoki would be great addition, i don't see how the ufc would not sign one of the best lightweights in the world
Mchubb316
6/29/08 11:31:17PM
It would be nice to have Aoki stateside. I think if the UFC signed him they would let him fight a couple times before giving him BJ. Casual MMA fans would have no clue about the Rainbow Pants Warrior, and how good he is. The first time they see him they will think, oh another skinny Japanese guy from pride who will be destroyed. I think Aoki could be a fan favorite over here with his unique fighting style, crazy flexability, and rediculous submissions.
Manfred
6/29/08 11:31:17PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Dana, please allow the pants in the UFC, i beg of you.

Not up to Dana:

From the unified rules:

13:46-24A.9 Apparel

(a) Each contestant shall wear mixed martial arts shorts, biking shorts, or kick-boxing shorts.

(b) Gi’s or shirts are prohibited during competition.

Then again, if Kimbo and Tanner can break the rules...

13:46-24A.10 Appearance

(a) All contestants shall be cleanly shaven immediately prior to competition, except that a contestant may wear a closely cropped mustache.

Figsak
6/30/08 12:19:01AM

Posted by clintjack

I thought the same thing about Silva and Rampage. When the UFC started hyping them, saying they're superstars in Japan, they neglected to mention they were at the low end of the Pride ladder at the time.

Aoki is a weird fighter, I think Aoki will just be so bizarre to most UFC guys that they'll just mess up and get subb'd.

I dunno man, who would of thought Wanderlei, CroCop, Shogun, and Henderson would get rolled over though, noone who watched Pride alot.

Vote4Fedro
6/30/08 1:27:20AM

Posted by clintjack

Yep comp waz easier in Japan.
Figsak
6/30/08 1:57:40AM
You're kidding yes?

2 fights vs Gesias Cavalcante generally ranked top 6 in the world at LW. Aoki won 1, and had a NC on the other.

2 wins over Akira Kikuchi whos generally ranked top 15-20 in the world at LW.

A spectacular submission win over Clay French a guy who will probably be top 10 in the next few years.

A win over George Sotiropoulos.

And anytime you have 11 wins in a row vs trained fighters of ANY caliber, you're generally doing something right.

Aoki is ranked top 7 in the world on most ranking systems for a reason.

You sir will be PLESANTLY suprised and a new Aoki fan when and if he arrives.

Pookie
6/30/08 3:38:43AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

guys, you can thank me for this. i tossed a penny in a wishing fountain yesterday and wished for this to happen.

I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyone that thinks he would get destroyed in the UFC is obviously an idiot. call me a nuthugger all you want but to blind yourslef to this man's awesome talent is bafoonish. he would do well in the UFC and i think he would control all of the wrestlers and only face a real problem with BJ.

Nuthuggery is the road to salvation, you have learned well jjfreak... all but bj will be crushed.
Pookie
6/30/08 3:42:36AM
In all honesty, the fact that Aoki was capable of gogo'ing hansen (who has good to great submission defense) tells me that hes going to bring something to the table that most Ufc Lw's havent seen before. And thats ridiculous submission skills.

Look at how well Nate Diaz is doing.
rabbit915
6/30/08 9:18:38AM

(a) Each contestant shall wear mixed martial arts shorts, biking shorts, or kick-boxing shorts.

The pants might qualify as extra long bike shorts. I cant see why they wouldnt allow them.
teddythetuna
6/30/08 11:39:22AM
Aoki has so many ways to beat you. He does subs that people have never even seen attempted let alone executed and used to finish fights. Just watch the French fight and you will all see.
Aoki owns Everyone!
kaskd
6/30/08 5:37:21PM
aoki would walk through many of the lightweight wrestlers in the UFC. i don't like his stand up, but not many in the LW would be able to stand up and avoid take downs long enough. I only see BJ Penn beating him, but then again i want BJ Penn to go fight Machida again
jiujitsufreak74
7/1/08 11:29:26AM

Posted by teddythetuna

Aoki owns Everyone!

listen to this man!

Posted by rabbit915

The pants might qualify as extra long bike shorts. I cant see why they wouldnt allow them.

just as my hope dwindled, you gave me a spark