shields or fitch?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » shields or fitch?
Next Page »
Gipper
4/29/08 12:27:39PM
hows it going? who's the better fighter? jake shields or jon fitch? i would usually have an opinion on these things but these 2 fighters in my mind are to close to call. i have fitch #3 and shields #4 in my rankings.

jake shields- 20-4-1 mma- 9 fight win streak- 13-1-1 in last 15 fights- wins over sakurai, okami, condit, pyle

jon fitch- 17-2 mma- 15 fight win streak- wins over sanchez, alves, larson, burkman
CantAndleDaRiddum
4/29/08 1:13:49PM
i love fitch, but im taking shields in ths one by gnp
Gladiator
4/29/08 1:14:35PM
Very tough call, both are/were pretty much the dark horses of their division. I'd go with fitch considering the opponents hes beaten, notably sanchez and alves.
babytater03
4/29/08 1:38:28PM
that is a touuuugh call.

I think i would have to go with Fitch though i'm not 100% on that. I'd have to think about it before making a bet on that one.
Cladrix
4/29/08 1:46:40PM
Very close call on this match........ Id have to take Shields by very very close decision
Pookie
4/29/08 2:01:52PM
Shields
juanez13
4/29/08 2:07:48PM
Fitch by split D
iwannabesedated
4/29/08 4:11:45PM
Fitch.
fedorwins1
4/29/08 4:34:23PM
Shields. The guy is so well rounded. He beats Jon in everything except wrestling IMO.
jiujitsufreak74
4/29/08 4:40:39PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Shields. The guy is so well rounded. He beats Jon in everything except wrestling IMO.

exactly, and it will be Fitch's slight advantage in the wrestling department that grinds out a decision for him. both f these fighters rely on wrestling and have styles that utilize their wrestling, and even if Shields has an edge standing up, if Fitch controls the majority of the fight with his wrestling then he wins it.
fedorwins1
4/30/08 3:35:23PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by fedorwins1

exactly, and it will be Fitch's slight advantage in the wrestling department that grinds out a decision for him. both f these fighters rely on wrestling and have styles that utilize their wrestling, and even if Shields has an edge standing up, if Fitch controls the majority of the fight with his wrestling then he wins it.

Fitch's wrestling didn't seem to help him very much here. He was swept two times and Shields was basically toying with him and totally outclassed him.

Shields embarasses Fitch
jiujitsufreak74
4/30/08 3:38:03PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Posted by fedorwins1

Fitch's wrestling didn't seem to help him very much here. He was swept two times and Shields was basically toying with him and totally outclassed him.

Shields embarasses Fitch

but at this point int heir careers i believe Fitch's wrestling better incorporates into MMA then Shields'. i guess we will never find out
warglory
4/30/08 7:51:29PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Posted by fedorwins1

Shields embarasses Fitch

He didn't get embarrassed or outclassed. Shields is obviously a superior BJJ practitioner considering he is a student of Cesar Gracie, and engaging Fitch who is trained in greco roman in a grappling match obviously put Fitch at a disadvantage. Had Fitch's pedigree been in catch wrestling, this match may have been different. Still though, Fitch was able to pass into Shields' half guard twice and keep the superior BJJ guy on his back while denying submissions for quite a while. I thought Fitch performed quite well.
warglory
4/30/08 7:56:58PM
And to answer the original question, I feel that Fitch would win. I think his striking is superior, as well as his strength and wrestling. And as we have all seen, its very very difficult to submit him. I think Shields would be very frustrated not being able to stand with Fitch and not being able to take him down/keep him down. Shields is a damn good fighter, but I just think Fitch is a tad better.
kimoron
4/30/08 9:04:40PM
tough call. both guys know each other very well and i think both are capable of beating the other. i take shields.
fedorwins1
5/1/08 3:33:24PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by fedorwins1

Posted by fedorwins1

Shields embarasses Fitch

He didn't get embarrassed or outclassed. Shields is obviously a superior BJJ practitioner considering he is a student of Cesar Gracie, and engaging Fitch who is trained in greco roman in a grappling match obviously put Fitch at a disadvantage. Had Fitch's pedigree been in catch wrestling, this match may have been different. Still though, Fitch was able to pass into Shields' half guard twice and keep the superior BJJ guy on his back while denying submissions for quite a while. I thought Fitch performed quite well.

You must not know JJ that much. Going to half guard equals no points at all, it doesn't matter that Fitch got to half guard; Shields might have just gave him half guard. Shields gave up position to look for submissions and he pulled guard, it's not like Fitch took him down with a double leg or anything like that.

On points, Shields had a huge advantage and Fitch didn't even come close to getting a submission. Shields swept him like it was nothing and was all over Fitch, Fitch had no offense in that match at all; it was all defense.

And I think losing = outclassed.
warglory
5/1/08 8:48:15PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Posted by warglory

Posted by fedorwins1

Posted by fedorwins1

Shields embarasses Fitch

You must not know JJ that much. Going to half guard equals no points at all, it doesn't matter that Fitch got to half guard; Shields might have just gave him half guard. Shields gave up position to look for submissions and he pulled guard, it's not like Fitch took him down with a double leg or anything like that.

On points, Shields had a huge advantage and Fitch didn't even come close to getting a submission. Shields swept him like it was nothing and was all over Fitch, Fitch had no offense in that match at all; it was all defense.

So you think Bisping outclassed Hamill in their match? And no, im no BJJ expert, but I can tell when a guy can hold his own. That match was Shields' from the get go. Throw striking and a cage into the mix though, and things dramatically change.
fedorwins1
5/3/08 2:56:02PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by fedorwins1

Posted by warglory

Posted by fedorwins1

Posted by fedorwins1

Shields embarasses Fitch

So you think Bisping outclassed Hamill in their match? And no, im no BJJ expert, but I can tell when a guy can hold his own. That match was Shields' from the get go. Throw striking and a cage into the mix though, and things dramatically change.

You're example about Bisping and Hamill is a bad one. That was a horrible/bias decision, every once in a while that happens. The match between Fitch and Shields didn't go to decision anyway, so what is your point?
NatedawgThaM
5/3/08 4:28:43PM
This would look VERY similar to Jon Fitch/Diego Sanchez. On the ground Fitch will win by just keeping Shields on his back and Fitch has nice submission defense as he got out of a lot of very tight submissions against Diego.

The only difference is Shields would come out on top. Shields is bigger then Diego so Fitch wouldn't have as much of an easy time keeping him on his back and Shields is better with submissions then Diego even though Shields won't sub him IMO. Also Diego charged at Fitch looking to take it to the ground. Shields knows he has the better stand up so he'll keep it standing. It will be a very close fight though. VERY SICK CLOSE FIGHT!!!

Jake Shields by Split Decision.
cagefighter30
5/4/08 10:35:07AM
Jon Fitch by a land slide!!!!!
mrliquid
5/5/08 7:21:04PM
Shields isn't a finisher he has alot of decision wins Fitch would KO him in the 3rd or win by UD he is a better striker by far
bls1919
5/5/08 8:59:07PM
This is almost too close to call. I will have to go withg Fitch, i think he might be a bit stronger and can take a good shot
EON
5/6/08 6:02:09AM
Shields, only because he beat Fitch pretty bad in ADCC (I think) but I doubt theyll ever fight since there tied tightly to different orgs.
tylerlee123
5/7/08 8:42:09PM
Definately Fitch, He is the man I remember the first time I seen him fight it was against Joslin at Freedom Fight Canada vs USA, he didn't impress me much and he called a time out in the middle of the fight so i did't really like him at the time, little did i know that he would be the top contender in the welterweight divsion 4 or 5 years later. So ya Fitch will Win
Pookie
5/7/08 9:00:30PM
Sheilds' style is perfectly set-up to combat wrestlers IMO.

He may not have the best takedowns but once it gets to the ground(and against fitch, it most certainly would hit the ground) he'll reverse, sweep, and get on top of fitch.

Sheilds by UD.
Kpro
5/8/08 1:05:13PM
Shields by Unanimous Decision.
warglory
5/8/08 8:33:55PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Posted by warglory

Posted by fedorwins1

Posted by warglory

Posted by fedorwins1

Posted by fedorwins1

Shields embarasses Fitch

You're example about Bisping and Hamill is a bad one. That was a horrible/bias decision, every once in a while that happens. The match between Fitch and Shields didn't go to decision anyway, so what is your point?

You said losing equates to being outclassed. My point is that there are many matches, even ones that are less controversial than Bisping and Hamill, that are very close that could have gone either way. Outclassed is exactly what the word means, and that doesn't equate to every fight.
warglory
5/8/08 8:35:03PM

Posted by Pookie

Sheilds' style is perfectly set-up to combat wrestlers IMO.

He may not have the best takedowns but once it gets to the ground(and against fitch, it most certainly would hit the ground) he'll reverse, sweep, and get on top of fitch.

Sheilds by UD.

And what makes you think he could hold Fitch down? Fitch isn't one to just lay there and allow his opponents to have his way with him.
Pookie
5/8/08 8:40:18PM
the fact that hes not nearly as strong off of his back as he is on top, and if he over commits himself trying to get up i could see him getting caught in a sub.

His only chance IMO would be to keep it standing but still i dont think hes all that great on his feet.
pimpcane_69
5/8/08 10:02:51PM
Fitch all the way, me and my hows have a saying"Fitch is no bitch"
Pages: [1] 2