SHIELDS DEFENDS TITLE; CALLS FOR CHANCE AT 185

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » SHIELDS DEFENDS TITLE; CALLS FOR CHANCE AT 185
MMAcca
10/5/08 6:45:42AM
Up until Saturday night, Jake Shields made it his business to make good fighters look bad, but he seemed to have his toughest test to date when he faced and defeated British heavy hitter Paul Daley, to defend his EliteXC welterweight title for the first time.

The first two minutes of the fight worried a great number of Shields’ fans as he looked to strike with Daley, who is possibly the best striker at 170 pounds, but he hung around and eventually took the fight to the ground. Shields quickly moved to the mount and stayed there for almost the rest of the round, but Daley persevered and actually landed on top, landing some big elbows before the first five minutes came to a close.

In the second round, Shields looked winded as Daley started to go for bigger strikes, but before too long the fight was back down on the ground and Shields had the mount again. He had no intentions of giving up that position this time as Shields swiveled from mount into a tight armbar that gave Daley no way out and he submitted to the hold.

“Daley’s a phenomenal fighter; he gave me hell,” Shields said after the fight. “I haven’t been past the first round in about over a year. He gave me a hell of a fight so hats off to (Paul) Daley.”

LINK
MMAcca
10/5/08 7:05:07AM
Anybody else think Lawler will run through Shields ?

Daley almost exposed jake on the feet, so Lawler is a dead cert to imo
supatolacyl
10/5/08 9:35:17AM
Daley looked awfully small for welterwieght. Anyone else not really impressed with Shields GnP?? I mean I give him all the credit in the world for gettin Daley down, getting full mount with ease, but he had a clean 4 minutes in the full mount raining down punches and Daley walked away without any marks on his face. Just seems a little week and I can't see hime being a top 5 WW in the world like he proclaims.
Rush
10/5/08 9:47:01AM

Posted by MMAcca

Uh, yeah. Lawler 1st round KO.
Porch28
10/5/08 10:01:04AM
When the guy your on top off is laughing at you as your dropping elbows down on his face what does that say about your GnP. That was the first time I've seen Shields fight and I was unimpressed especially when he called EliteXC's belt "prestigious"
BigTomZ
10/5/08 10:03:10AM
I really don't think he could hang with top fighters at 185. I really don't think he could hang with any of the top 5 welterweights. GSP, Penn, Fitch, Koscheck, Alves. I don't see him hanging with those guys. I would probably even pick Parisyan, Davis, Swick, Diaz over him.
The-Don
10/5/08 10:47:45AM
Shields jits is solid as he showed last night.. but yea is GnP looked a little weak and he needs to tighten up his stand up.. I may be doing some jits with shields coming up here.. one of his students has a school here and that is where I just started training.. . check the training thread for school details.
juanez13
10/5/08 11:07:56AM

Posted by Rush

Posted by MMAcca

Uh, yeah. Lawler 1st round KO.

Yea, not very impressed by Shields. Definitely dont think he is a top 3-5 WW like most people were saying.
CiaoBaby
10/5/08 12:30:57PM
Sheilds a top 3-5 WW!?!? What is this world coming to? And Kalib Starnes has a better chance of winning UFC gold, than Jake Sheilds has at beating any top 5 WW or MW!!!!! His stand-up is terrible and I thought his take downs looked like garbage as well....
crushedbacon
10/5/08 12:49:34PM
Yeah Shields is in huge trouble against so many WW out there right now. No business in top 5. Stand up is so shady. wow. Would love to see him fight somebody like, hmmm.....thiago alves. Im sure lawler would smash him too @ 185.
seanfu
10/5/08 2:10:43PM
I gotta defend sheilds' performance last night. Was it crappy, yes, but the gnp he "laying" lol was a pitter patter. He was just throwing punches and looking for an opening for a sub.

There was no attemped damage. I mean shit if he tried you've seen Kenflo lay out gnp. You can tell he wasn't trying for damage. His standup is not dangerous.

Think Frankie Edgar on standup, no power.

Point of all of this being Sheilds had a shitty gameplan and payed for it against a fairly one dimentional guy. And you know all the Holland trained KBoxers are top notch standup.

Sheilds has a lot of promise and should be top ten. Even if by some stretch not now, there will probably be no debate later about it.

Good wrestler, solid subs. He finished his guy in round two so there shouldn't be a complaint. He's a subwrestler not a gnp powerhouse.

Not a nuthugger but for a second round win he's taking a lot of heat.
clintjack
10/5/08 3:07:31PM
Daley did not know what he was doing on the bottom.
Wolfenstein
10/5/08 10:11:18PM
It definetely wasn't Jake's best showing. A few weaknesses were more glaring this time around.

His standup needs improvement obviously and his GnP was questionable but he wasn't really positioning himself to throw big strikes. It looked like he had his feet crossed in a sort of grapevine variation from the mount to maintain position and use strikes to set up the submission.

Jake usually explodes into his submissions but he was really telegraphing the armbar and it it looked like he was just trying to use leverage to overpower Semtex into a submission. I've watched a lot of Jake's fights and this just wasn't typical form.

He's beaten Carlos Condit and Yushin Okami so I really don't feel he's overrated. His shot looked sluggish, but at the ADCC against Diego Sanchez he took Diego down at will. I think he was just being a little too hesitant; maybe afraid of a big flying knee.
jocka
10/6/08 12:28:18PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

It definetely wasn't Jake's best showing. A few weaknesses were more glaring this time around.

His standup needs improvement obviously and his GnP was questionable but he wasn't really positioning himself to throw big strikes. It looked like he had his feet crossed in a sort of grapevine variation from the mount to maintain position and use strikes to set up the submission.

Jake usually explodes into his submissions but he was really telegraphing the armbar and it it looked like he was just trying to use leverage to overpower Semtex into a submission. I've watched a lot of Jake's fights and this just wasn't typical form.

He's beaten Carlos Condit and Yushin Okami so I really don't feel he's overrated. His shot looked sluggish, but at the ADCC against Diego Sanchez he took Diego down at will. I think he was just being a little too hesitant; maybe afraid of a big flying knee.

the first armbar attemps was ugly wow i do some jj but no where close his caliber and i saw this coming a mile away. When someone has me in full mount i leave an arm there hoping he takes it just so i can sweep him, even Shield opponent (i don't remember his name) sweep it so. I was not impressed at all by this fight. O can still hear people saying he is top 5 lol he is not even top 10 in my opinion.