Shields vs Akiyama

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Shields vs Akiyama
Aether
2/26/12 4:55:49AM
At the end of this fight I thought it was a clear cut 30-27, then I read tons of comments and play by plays scoring rounds or even the whole fight in Akiyama's favour. I don't see where he won a round, personally, so I am interested to hear someone who thought he did win a round or even the whole fight explain their scoring.

Personally I thought Shields clearly outstruck him by a significant margin, like nearly 3:1. Akiyama got 2 takedowns, but Shields stood back up immediately both times, so I didn't count them as very significant relative to the gap in striking. I badly want to hear the actual reasoning behind the scoring in favour of Akiyama, because from what I saw, I can't come up with an argument for him winning even 1 round.
Shawn91111
2/26/12 5:27:00AM
Im going to watch the replay of this fight in a few hrs and give my opinion
prozacnation1978
2/26/12 10:40:21AM
I had a 29-28. Or even a split Dec
State_Champ
2/26/12 10:52:03AM
I thought Shields clearly out-struck Sexyama.

I also never would have thought Shields would out-strike anyone....
postman
2/26/12 11:11:11AM
It was clear to me Shields won that fight I think I might have gave round one to Akiyama but I am not sure on that and I was pretty lit.
kopower
2/26/12 11:16:39AM
The way Rogan was talking the first two rounds, one would think Akiyama was dominating. Shields clearly won the stand up, and I thought won 29-28.
cowcatcher
2/26/12 11:17:18AM
Sexyama didn't pull the trigger enough, and that's kind of been an ongoing theme with him. He walked through Jake's punches, but didn't fire back. Had he done that, the judges may have scored the fight in his favor even if he didn't land as many as Jake. That was tough to watch because I think he could have won the fight had he shown a little more urgency, but Jake clearly won IMO. Rogan's announcing may have swayed some people to believe Sexyama was winning.
FastKnockout
2/26/12 12:41:00PM
Rogan was mesmerised by Akiyama's slams and focused on watching Akiyama instead of both fighters.
Twenty20Dollars
2/26/12 12:42:11PM
More impressed with Akiyama than shields, who looked like poop. Not saying Aki won though.
warglory
2/26/12 12:54:01PM
Shields definitely won the fight.
hotrodttt
2/26/12 2:01:57PM
Honestly, I was cleaning up dog crap and listening to rogan screaming about the throws, after rewatching I deff see a 30-27 for Shields, maybe Sexyama could have stole a round with the throws at the end of the rounds but Shields was jabbing him up pretty good the whole fight.
shaneTpain
2/26/12 2:46:58PM
Sexyama had the sexiness advantage for atleast 2 rounds
ncordless
2/26/12 2:58:26PM
It was weird because I was kind of watching under the impression that as long as the fight was standing that Akiyama was winning. Then about half way through the second I realized that Shields was winning the stand up. Rewatching it, Akiyama was getting the better of the striking for the first three minutes, and then got way too complacent. 29-28 Shields.
Franklinfan47
2/26/12 3:33:07PM
Its because Akiyama was throwing Shields around like he owed him money. It was closer than Edgar vs Bendo imo.

I didnt have a problem with either decision, mind you. The biggest robbery of the night goes to Cariaso over Mizugaki.
BuffaloDave
2/26/12 3:56:28PM

Posted by ncordless

Akiyama was getting the better of the striking for the first three minutes, and then got way too complacent. 29-28 Shields.

This right here.

BlueSkiesBurn
2/26/12 3:59:57PM

Posted by cowcatcher

That was tough to watch because I think he could have won the fight had he shown a little more urgency, but Jake clearly won IMO.

This quote pretty much defines why people thought Sexyama won. Akiyama was clearly a much better and tougher fighter than Shields. If he would have even replied 1 strike for every one of Jake's 3, he would have won that fight. I have never seen a fighter throw away a win like that.

Shields won that fight fair and square. He moved forward the entire fight, shot for takedowns, and outstruck Akiyama. Akiyama could have EASILY won that fight, but Shields won because he was too complacent. End of story.

State_Champ
2/26/12 4:09:38PM
Sexyama fights to his opponents' level.
Makes for some fun fights, but doesn't lead to many wins.

He has now been subbed by Leben and out-boxed by Shields, which blows my mind.

Is he doing it on purpose?

I have no clue why he lost to Shields, I hope he'll explain what happened in an interview or something..... He is a way better striker than Shields, but he got out-struck
KaibaThedon
2/26/12 4:20:44PM
shields won the striking for 3 rounds and akiyama grabbed the fence twice

it was the correct decision
BlueSkiesBurn
2/26/12 4:27:36PM

Posted by KaibaThedon

shields won the striking for 3 rounds and akiyama grabbed the fence THREE times

it was the correct decision

Fixed
Poor_Franklin
2/26/12 5:12:41PM
watch fights on mute so rogan doesnt confuse you. shields all day
sparky
2/26/12 5:14:46PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

watch fights on mute so rogan doesnt confuse you. shields all day

bjj1605
2/26/12 5:35:08PM

Posted by Franklinfan47

Its because Akiyama was throwing Shields around like he owed him money. It was closer than Edgar vs Bendo imo.

I didnt have a problem with either decision, mind you. The biggest robbery of the night goes to Cariaso over Mizugaki.

Cariaso over Mizugaki was brialliant judging best I've seen in the UFC.

Cariaso got taken down but he was winning the grappling exchanges on the ground and working Mizugaki on the feet.

If all fights were scored that way Jeff Curran would still be a top 10 bantamweight.

What BlueSkies said about the fight pretty much sums up how I feel about it.

Akiyama was on defense the whole time even though it was obvious to everyone watching that he COULD have won if he'd been more aggressive. Since he wasn't, he didn't.

On another note....how the hell did they not take a point away from Akiyama? If he hadn't grabbed the fence and Shields had gotten him down earlier, I have a feeling the fight would have ended by sub and this whole thread would be moot.
Aether
2/26/12 5:44:06PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by ncordless

Akiyama was getting the better of the striking for the first three minutes, and then got way too complacent. 29-28 Shields.

This right here.

I don't think he even won 3 minutes of striking. Akiyama landed 8 strikes in the first round to Shield's 37 according to fightmetric.
LightsOUT23
2/26/12 6:43:26PM
Hey guys, Akiyama is either not that good as he was billed to be or he is good but doesn't seem to have the right people around him in preparation for the big fights. Akiyama does possess KO power and his sweeps and judo throws are second to none. His problem in the Jake shields fight unlike his UFC debut against Belcher was that he did not throw enough strikes. Yes he defended the take downs well, he got a few nice sweeps and landed a few solid strikes, but as i believe and we've seen before, like Chris Leben he tends to head hunt for that one KO shot whilst taking leg kicks and jabs from Shields unaware that Shields is scoring every time he lands. I think 30-27 is the right score as Shields did out strike him in all 3 rounds, though this is the problem with MMA scoring as time and time again, the criteria contradicts itself depending on the experience factor of the judges scoring the bout. Shields did not look great in there, those take down attempts were very calculated and forced. Akiyama is truly fighting at the best weight class for him, but i think his team are a little undriven, maybe Akiyama should go train in the states with one of the big MMA teams for his next fight should he not get cut after losing 3 or 4 fights straight now. Akiyama looked strong at 170, but shields although i don't think was too impressive, he did what he needed to to get the decision. How this fight was scored i believe is an example of how MMA judging should be. Take downs and sweeps do no damage on their own. Leg kicks, Jabs and being the aggressor should score well as they did in this fight. Too many fighters get a take down to insure they win the round, i think its cheeky and most of the time scores big in the judges mind. Thats like holding the ball in at the corner flag in football/Soccer to time waste near the end of a match, its not what the fans want to see and its allowed to the point where the scoring factor of it needs to be reviewed. As an MMA bout significant strikes seem to be over shadowed by take downs. In this case, i think Shields walked away with the right Judges scoring. Don't get me wrong, i am not bashing the wrestlers, Wrestling is very effective and important in MMA. If there is a take down in a close rounds, it tends to be the round winning decider which is fine, but if you take a few good solid shots and don't land many yourself, a take down alone should not be enough to steal a round in my opinion.
sbulldavid
2/26/12 10:06:43PM

Posted by State_Champ
He has now been subbed by Leben and out-boxed by Shields, which blows my mind.

He's just a glorified punching bag
UFC_Fanatic
2/27/12 7:44:51AM

Posted by Aether

At the end of this fight I thought it was a clear cut 30-27, then I read tons of comments and play by plays scoring rounds or even the whole fight in Akiyama's favour. I don't see where he won a round, personally, so I am interested to hear someone who thought he did win a round or even the whole fight explain their scoring.

Personally I thought Shields clearly outstruck him by a significant margin, like nearly 3:1. Akiyama got 2 takedowns, but Shields stood back up immediately both times, so I didn't count them as very significant relative to the gap in striking. I badly want to hear the actual reasoning behind the scoring in favour of Akiyama, because from what I saw, I can't come up with an argument for him winning even 1 round.

I haven't seen this fight yet because I missed the event due to work, but I know MMAweekly scored it 29-28 shields. Still, you're telling me that Shields out-struck somebody?!
State_Champ
2/27/12 7:52:50AM

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

Posted by Aether

I haven't seen this fight yet because I missed the event due to work, but I know MMAweekly scored it 29-28 shields. Still, you're telling me that Shields out-struck somebody?!

Yes, but it might be more appropriate in this case to say that somebody seemed to allow Shields to out-strike them (the onus is on Sexyama, not Shields)....

I don't know what Sexyama was thinking in the cage...