Sherk's training

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Sherk's training
MFOTHER
5/19/08 5:05:14PM
let me start by saying this post is based only on the video on ufc.com of sherk working out. He is working a serious cardio routine. Now im sure this is only part of his training,but it looked intense and conditioning based only.
If i were sherk id be trainign JJ and striking almost exclusively.
Although the exercises are supposed to mimic fighting, i gotta believe without training sherks cardio is way better than penns.

I guess what im saying is i would expect a heavy cardio workout from penn, and a technical work out from sherk (training their weaknesses)

Like i said im sure sherk has trained all around for this fight, but it just seemed fom that video he was going crazy on cardio, when everyone already knows his is better....
juanez13
5/19/08 5:10:21PM

Posted by MFOTHER
Like i said im sure sherk has trained all around for this fight, but it just seemed fom that video he was going crazy on cardio, when everyone already knows his is better....

so what you are saying is that because everyone knows he has better cardio than penn than he shouldnt train cardio....To have good cardio you have to gain it, if you stop training cardio than you'll loose much of it. to mantain the good cardio that he has, he does the same workouts he did to gain that cardio.

also, the cardio is just part of his workout, I'm pretty sure he works on the other areas just as much. and im pretty sure thats an old clip they used from the All Access segment they did on him

puppetmaster837
5/19/08 5:13:13PM
Sean Sherk trains the same no matter who he is fighting. It seems like he doesnt base his training around his opponents style, he sticks to the training that has worked for him so far. And i dont think i could tell a guy who is 32-2-1 to change his training.
imanidiot777
5/19/08 6:18:39PM

Posted by MFOTHER

let me start by saying this post is based only on the video on ufc.com of sherk working out. He is working a serious cardio routine. Now im sure this is only part of his training,but it looked intense and conditioning based only.
If i were sherk id be trainign JJ and striking almost exclusively.
Although the exercises are supposed to mimic fighting, i gotta believe without training sherks cardio is way better than penns.

I guess what im saying is i would expect a heavy cardio workout from penn, and a technical work out from sherk (training their weaknesses)

That video they showed of his cardio training showed that he trained based on five rounds of five minutes with 1 minute breaks in between, that means his cardio workout took 29 minutes. OBVIOUSLY he is doing something with the rest of his day as far as training goes. Don't doubt a guy who has over 30 wins and only 2 losses I think he knows how to train.
MFOTHER
5/19/08 6:54:36PM
just out of curiosity.... you three have sherk to win......right?
juanez13
5/19/08 7:03:54PM
I have Penn Via 2nd Round TKO, doesnt mean i dont think your comments are dumb, as you could argue from both perspectives.
holt8081
5/19/08 7:41:43PM
I dont know what his training is like now but he used to train with a little needle
imanidiot777
5/19/08 7:53:45PM
Yes I do have Sherk winning, I don't like the guy at all but his cardio is going to be too much for BJ if he can just avoid a submission for the first 2 rounds.
tepid55
5/19/08 8:41:32PM
Sherk trains in submissions and Muay Thai as well as wrestling.
MFOTHER
5/19/08 11:23:05PM

Posted by juanez13

I have Penn Via 2nd Round TKO, doesnt mean i dont think your comments are dumb, as you could argue from both perspectives.

real mature man

all i was saying was i figured penn would do some serious cardio training and sherk would work more submission defense etc. as those are their supposed weaknesses

what a dumb person i must be
Pitbull09
5/20/08 1:21:10AM

Posted by MFOTHER

Posted by juanez13

real mature man

all i was saying was i figured penn would do some serious cardio training and sherk would work more submission defense etc. as those are their supposed weaknesses

what a dumb person i must be

I think he accidently used a double negative MFother, but I could be wrong.
whardin19
5/20/08 7:46:05AM
We all have heard about Sherks cardio training. But it doesn't make sense that you think he should just abandon it completely. The guy has a set routine and it has worked for him over and over again. Not sure why he should switch it up now. Don't underestimate the rest of Sherks training. In that video they just wanted to show you how much of a beast Sherk is at cardio training.
kastro_316
5/20/08 5:35:02PM
nah, they are training their strengths!