Should Sherk be stripped of his title, if so who should Penn fight for vacancy?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Should Sherk be stripped of his title, if so who should Penn fight for vacancy?
Next Page »
kaduey
7/19/07 2:59:19PM
Since Sherk and Franca both tested positive for steroids, should the title be vacated, if so who should BJ Penn fight for the title.

Joe Stevenson?
Din Thomas?
Gomi?
Huerta?
LHK
7/19/07 3:02:15PM
Hellboy. It will be exciting as hell. Both of them beat Gomi.
DJDark41
7/19/07 3:02:24PM
Well, now that I read that he is suspended for a YEAR, I think he should be stripped. No point in having an inactive title for a year because they don't want to strip a guy. And you think, all that Sherk had was his fighting...and he goes and does steroids and blows it. Gomi would be an interesting replacement to fight BJ in a title match...but the UFC needs to sign him first.
Violentcuv
7/19/07 3:04:59PM
If he is going to be suspended for a year then I think he should be stripped.

A year is a long time to go without having a title fight at 155.
szucconi
7/19/07 3:05:11PM

Posted by kaduey

Since Sherk and Franca both tested positive for steroids, should the title be vacated, if so who should BJ Penn fight for the title.

Joe Stevenson?
Din Thomas?
Gomi?
Huerta?

no
maybe
no, because he is unsigned
no

BJ Penn v winner of Guida v. Aurelio.
Copenhagen
7/19/07 3:10:15PM

Posted by Violentcuv

If he is going to be suspended for a year then I think he should be stripped.

A year is a long time to go without having a title fight at 155.

I agree, the belt should be stripped. It's unfair for everyone else in the division to wait a whole year without a crack at the belt. IMO Sherk's title will definitely be stripped from him without a doubt.
cowcatcher
7/19/07 3:11:56PM
he should be stripped, the guy was injured forever before finally defending the belt in by far the fastest growing division in the ufc, finally "healed"(with help obviously) then tests positive after his first fight. the LW's are starting to steal show after show and the beltholder is the pinnacle of the entire weight class, and therefore needs to be able to defend regularly. id be willing to guess that if joe daddy wins he will face bj, but now whho knows, bj might just go right back to WW where it seems he wanted to be all along.
Copenhagen
7/19/07 3:16:16PM
I'd like to see Kenflo face BJ. Kenflo's only loss at lightweight was from Sherk (Sherk was probably on roids for that fight too).
NME
7/19/07 3:20:41PM
If BJ stays at 155lbs, which I feel like is up in the air now, I believe he will face the winner of Stevenson v. Pellegrino.
fedorwins1
7/19/07 3:27:49PM
BJ vs Kenflo/Stevenson/Fisher/Thomas, I like all of those matchups
Eazee_E
7/19/07 3:30:27PM
I think it will end up being Florian. For the reasons stated above, and the fact that thought he would be fighting at UFC 78 anyways. Although I wouldn't have a problem with Din, Stevenson, or maybe Huerta getting the shot. (Only including fighters actually signed currently).
Kisame
7/19/07 3:44:16PM
Lightweight Grand Prix Tournament for Belt ftw
szucconi
7/19/07 3:45:53PM

Posted by Kisame

That would be great, but they can't do it in the US.
brooklynbadass
7/19/07 3:46:05PM
Sherk should definitly be stripped. No way you can have the title unchallanged for a whole year. I think stevenson would be probable choice to fight penn (but din would probably be a more entertaining fight). Penn wins the fight hands though...
brooklynbadass
7/19/07 3:48:48PM

Posted by DJDark41

Well, now that I read that he is suspended for a YEAR, I think he should be stripped. No point in having an inactive title for a year because they don't want to strip a guy. And you think, all that Sherk had was his fighting...and he goes and does steroids and blows it. Gomi would be an interesting replacement to fight BJ in a title match...but the UFC needs to sign him first.

What makes you think he hasn't been using steroids his whole career? All he would have to due is cycle it off and on when he was not fighting. I think this "genetic freak" is nothing more then your common cheater.
Kisame
7/19/07 3:56:42PM

Posted by szucconi

Posted by Kisame

Yeah but it still seems like the best option for both the fans and the fighters <.<

Well maybe not the fighters but I miss the tourneys
bayonetxwork
7/19/07 3:57:14PM

Posted by szucconi

Posted by Kisame

Good thing they can do it in Japan now Yeah, I know theres much more to it than just shipping these guys overseas to fight, but I'm still dreaming.
Twenty20Dollars
7/19/07 3:57:49PM
I think it goes down like this. If joe stevenson wins his fight againest kurt, he could be in line to fight for the belt. But also there's din thomas, if he wins againest spencer fisher.

So Joe Stevenson or Din Thomas, even though I know kenny wants to fight for the title I dont think UFC will give him the shot over Joe or Din.
Young_Knuck
7/19/07 4:09:44PM
strip 'em

and franca should b banned as well
nubby
7/19/07 4:09:58PM
It should be BJ and Joe. Then Bin and Kenny should fight to see who gets next shot at the Title.
waylon_o
7/19/07 4:14:06PM

Posted by Young_Knuck

since both fighters tested positive i think they should wait a few months and have them re-fight. then BJ can fight the winner of that like its supposed to be.

They both cheated at the highest possible level...Sherk was champ and Franca was the challenger. What in the world makes you think they should be allowed to fight again for the title after only a few months? They both need to be shoved all the way to the back of the line and punished severely. They weren't two Joe Nobody's trying to make a name for themselves...these guys are top level fighters who need to set an example. I really hope you don't honestly think they should wait a few months and just have things go back to the way they were
AchillesHeel
7/19/07 4:22:43PM

Posted by szucconi

I don't think there's any reason they couldn't, if they wanted to, but Dana White has said he doesn't like tournaments.

I agree that Penn-v-Florian seems like the best matchup, if Sherk loses the belt.
Violence108
7/19/07 4:23:51PM
BJ vs Spencer Fisher for the lightweight title
the-james
7/19/07 4:24:05PM

Posted by Young_Knuck

since both fighters tested positive i think they should wait a few months and have them re-fight. then BJ can fight the winner of that like its supposed to be.

They are both suspended for a year so this cant happen, as for who BJ fights i hope it is Joe Stevenson which i think is the only guy who has a slim slim chance of winning but it will most likely be Kenny since they are both slated to fight at ufc 78. But they could also still sign Gomi and have a unified title fight lkike Rampage/Hendo.
johny_rotten
7/19/07 4:30:26PM
He has to be stripped. Barnett was, and so was Big Tim when they tested positive. The UFC should also give every one that got UFC 73 a credit towards UFC 74. A draw and a double steroid positive. What a joke "stacked" turned out to be.

I would also like to add a big "yipeeeeeeee!!!" to Sherk's test. Most boring champ in history is now gone. Thank god!!! I say Diaz vs Penn for the belt.
szucconi
7/19/07 4:33:11PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by szucconi

I don't think there's any reason they couldn't, if they wanted to, but Dana White has said he doesn't like tournaments.

I agree that Penn-v-Florian seems like the best matchup, if Sherk loses the belt.

The US commissions won’t sanction tournaments. They would have to do it overseas and then there is the issue of third party drug testing and overall regulation and I think they would want to avoid that when crowning a new champ. Japan = not regulated well, if at all.

Dana White has never liked Sherk and everyone always assumed that it was because he was less then an exciting fighter, but maybe he had an idea or suspicion that he was dirty.
AchillesHeel
7/19/07 4:35:06PM

Posted by szucconi

The US commissions won’t sanction tournaments.

The IFL is having a tournament at the end of the year.
Piccosaur
7/19/07 4:35:52PM
A day after the Francas/Sherk fight I remember someone posted a picture of Sherk at weigh-ins and I said "you can't look like that without steroids". It wasn't really a big surprise to me that he was on them. Plus Franca too so, BJ Penn is probably going to have it easily now.
-THEOXKING-
7/19/07 4:44:25PM
yes .....penn should fight joe daddy
Copenhagen
7/19/07 4:57:04PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by szucconi

The US commissions won’t sanction tournaments.

The IFL is having a tournament at the end of the year.

That will be one long tournament. Medical suspensions in the US are so long sometimes.
Pages: [1] 2 3