Is Sherk next hughes?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Is Sherk next hughes?
Pitbull09
8/1/07 11:57:13PM
I was thinking about this after the franaca fight. Do you think sherk is going to dominate the lightweight divison as good as Matt Hughes did for his career. They seem to stick the same idea of a takedown and ground and pound. Matt does find submissions way better however. So what do you think, I know matts beaten him but this is one division lower now.
MMA
8/2/07 12:24:25AM
Considering how Sherk may be suspended for 1yr due to steroid usage, it is difficult to say. If he does get charged, then I think that 1yr absence would really damage his career. However, if Sherk is found not guilty, then the only person that I see as a serious threat to Sherk at the moment is BJ.

There are a ton of talents in the lightweight division, but most of them are too green to beat Sherk right now. Give another year or so and fighters like Edgar and Griffin could give Sherk a run for his money (I just named those two because they are exceptional wrestlers, but there are other great talents).
Ultimate_fighter
8/2/07 12:51:17AM
I believe that Sherk will remain Champion longer than Hughes has... i also think Sherk is stronger in LW than Hughes in WW
hippysmacker
8/2/07 7:07:52AM

Posted by MMA

Considering how Sherk may be suspended for 1yr due to steroid usage, it is difficult to say. If he does get charged, then I think that 1yr absence would really damage his career. However, if Sherk is found not guilty, then the only person that I see as a serious threat to Sherk at the moment is BJ.

There are a ton of talents in the lightweight division, but most of them are too green to beat Sherk right now. Give another year or so and fighters like Edgar and Griffin could give Sherk a run for his money (I just named those two because they are exceptional wrestlers, but there are other great talents).

I agree. I'll aslo add Stevenson to the list. I think if he had Sherk in the guillotine Franca did he would have been choked out.
waylon_o
8/2/07 7:24:08AM
I don't see anyone beating BJ Penn at LW anytime soon
xchickox
8/2/07 7:29:58AM
i think sherk can dominate most of the lightweight division but i think the hardest fight is gonna be stevenson and i think he may lose that one
SpiderSilva
8/2/07 8:11:01PM
Sherk looked like he could become a great in the LW maybe even the greatest the way he won is two fights but this is too bad but he can turn it around and come back i cant even really say better because he was soooooooo dominant already
bigblair
8/3/07 3:37:42AM
i think he'l hold the belt longer if Penn doesnt come down, but i dont think Sherk is as Strong as Hughes p4p
jomatty
8/3/07 9:21:39AM
aside from bj i dont see anyone who poses a serious threat. noone can deal with his strength. only someone with bj's talent could deal with his strength and that is only because bj is one of the top few p4p fighters in the world (number 2 imo). fighters with this sort of ability are so rare and that is what it will take to beat someone who is that much stronger than everyone else.
BigEvil
8/3/07 2:07:16PM
I don't even know if Dana will let him back in the UFC after a positive test, i think we have to wait for the appeal.
NME
8/3/07 2:27:54PM

Posted by BigEvil

I don't even know if Dana will let him back in the UFC after a positive test, i think we have to wait for the appeal.

I think everything that Dana has said on the subject indicates that Sherk is still in Dana's good graces, even if the appeal should fail. Dana mentioned in an interview with ESPN the Magazine that he and Sherk are friends.

Of course, Dana has, in the past, cut ties with friends in the pursuit of business interests, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Telly_152
8/4/07 1:25:38AM
Sherk does not have the killer instinct of Matt Hughes. Not even close IMO!!!!
Lay_N_Pray
8/4/07 2:05:41AM
This may be a stupid question but i am a little confused...

If Sherk is found guilty of this will he be stripped of his title, or has he already been stripped?

And in my opinion he will not be as good as Hughes...he is very similar but with Stevenson, Penn, and even Ken Flo not to mention plenty of other great talents, he just wont be able to be dominant
MMA
8/5/07 11:26:15AM
Sherk has already dominated Florian and I think he would be able to dominate Stevenson as well. I don't think Stevenson would be able to keep up with Sherk's pace and would probably gas in the later rounds (as most of Sherk's opponents do). I think the best bet against Sherk is to come out guns blazing and try to finish him off in the early rounds.
Pitbull09
8/5/07 1:24:00PM
I'm pretty sure Stevenson wont stand a chance against him. However, Franca did show that Sherks weakness is standup, I mean he almsot got knocked out the first three round at the beginning when he got hit before he threw franca down. I say, maybe steveson could do to Sherk what he did to Melvin but I doubt it.

I dont think hes stripped of the title yet.
Telly_152
8/5/07 3:41:41PM
The ? is is Sherk next Hughes? Who cares about Soe Daddy cause we all know Joe aint even sittin at the event with Matt Hughes.
MartinKillMcGill
8/6/07 7:54:19AM
If he does not get stripped of his title i can see sherk getting beat any way. I know he has great cardio and unreal wrestling but he cant finish fights and this is a dangerous way to be.How many of hughes title fights went to decison. Not too many and his abilty to finish fights is what made him so dominant. Sherk has not got this and a belive its only a matter of time before he gets caught
mkiv9secsupra
8/6/07 8:43:32AM

Posted by MartinKillMcGill

If he does not get stripped of his title i can see sherk getting beat any way. I know he has great cardio and unreal wrestling but he cant finish fights and this is a dangerous way to be.How many of hughes title fights went to decison. Not too many and his abilty to finish fights is what made him so dominant. Sherk has not got this and a belive its only a matter of time before he gets caught

not finishing fights doesnt mean you arent dominant. No one has submitted or KO'ed sherk yet in almost 40 fights. The only person who even poses a threat is BJ penn and a lot of people will still bet on skerk if this fight happens.
MartinKillMcGill
8/6/07 11:22:17AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by MartinKillMcGill

not finishing fights doesnt mean you arent dominant. No one has submitted or KO'ed sherk yet in almost 40 fights. The only person who even poses a threat is BJ penn and a lot of people will still bet on skerk if this fight happens.

I Might be wrong on this but did GPS not Ko(TKO) sherk anyway thats not my point. History has shown beltholders who do not finish fights do not hold the belt for a long period. And the question was is sherk the next hughes. Maybe im wrong and maybe we will never no if he losses his appeal but can you realy see sherk grinding out decisions for two years