sherk haters....still hate??

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » sherk haters....still hate??
« Previous Page
NatedawgThaM
5/25/08 6:27:57PM

Posted by Jackelope

The one thing I don't think you're taking into account are the intangible factors. There's plenty of guys out there who have crisp technical skills, but don't have the heavy hands or the defense to go with them. Sure, there's the way a punch "should" look, but just because it's not technical doesn't mean it's not effective. Hell, Forrest Griffin throws some pretty technical punches, but he doesn't seem to have massive KO power on the feet. Chuck Liddell, on the other hand, throws some ugly ass looping shots, but they knock people out all the time. I agree that he hasn't fought top striking competition, though. The only way this differs from B.J. Penn is that B.J. has fought standup wars against great MMA strikers and won them. He tooled GSP up on the feet, he tooled Joe Stevenson on the feet (who actually has a pro boxing record and has been boxing for over 10 years) and even in the small exchanges with Takanori Gomi he dominated the standup war.

I agree that "great" and "excellent" are thrown around way too loosely, that's why I said "Legendary" when I described Semmy Schilt, Jerome LeBanner, and Crocop

If you want to look at it that way you can call Crocop a horrible striker in certain regards. You can call Mark Hunt a horrible striker in regards.

I can live with people saying BJ is a great striker, I just don't think so myself. Don't get me wrong, it's not a weakness BY FAR. It's basically a pick your poison type of thing with him, do you want to get KO'd but still has a punchers chance yourself or get submitted. It's just BJ is a little better on the ground then on the feet. That's basically where I'm getting at. Some people say he's at an elite K-1 level and would take the K-1 lightweight title the first chance he got. I'd disagree, he would probably put up a solid effort but I don't think he'd win.

I guess I'm just waiting until he faces the winner Huerta/Florian to call him a great striker. I don't think he'll take either of them down and doubt either of them will do the same. We'll see a good stand up war since Florian's MT is sick and Huerta has so much heart, such a great chin, and packs so much power. After he beats them I'll switch over to the "great" side.
JimiMak
5/25/08 8:12:13PM

Posted by tdietel01

im pretty sure the reason lie detectors arent used in court is because the people that actually think they are telling the truth (crazy people) pass the test even though thats not the real truth. if someone for example thinks the person they killed was a demon or something crazy and you ask them in a lie detector test in comes out ok. maybe sherk didnt know there were roids in the sh!it he was taking???? or maybe he really didnt do it.

The type of case you're talking about is so rare it isn't really relevant to the bigger pcture. Those guys just get remanded to state mental facilities if they are that insane.

They are not used because they are completely innacurate and anyone who ever takes one is stupid for that reason.
NinjaCyborg
5/25/08 8:50:09PM

Dont try and push your opinion as fact on me. Did you personally test his blood and see it was negative? i don't think so. Sherk was found guilty of taking the juice, fact. If ive got something to say about it i will, its not like i was even bashing sherk, i was just saying i didnt like it how he kept denying it. I really dont see how thats disrespect. Thats such a stupid statement man! ive never seen a rocket launch, does that mean nobodys been to space? I didn't test hermes francas blood either, so does that mean he was innocent? Jeez.

Your claim that Sherk is "Denying" ever using steroids implies he's guilty of using steroids.
My point is it's not for you to say whether he is guilty of using or not, because you can't prove it.
You're calling Sherk a liar without first hand knowledge. Thats why i'm defending him. If Sherk says he's innocent, you need to believe him.
JimiMak
5/25/08 10:38:29PM
Why would we need to believe him? He got convicted and lost his appeal. Newspapers are allowed to say he did it w/o the word alleged. The knowledge we have is official and legal, it's as close to first hand as we could ever have and as much as we need. You live in a world of denial.
Jackelope
5/26/08 1:13:42AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Posted by Jackelope

The one thing I don't think you're taking into account are the intangible factors. There's plenty of guys out there who have crisp technical skills, but don't have the heavy hands or the defense to go with them. Sure, there's the way a punch "should" look, but just because it's not technical doesn't mean it's not effective. Hell, Forrest Griffin throws some pretty technical punches, but he doesn't seem to have massive KO power on the feet. Chuck Liddell, on the other hand, throws some ugly ass looping shots, but they knock people out all the time. I agree that he hasn't fought top striking competition, though. The only way this differs from B.J. Penn is that B.J. has fought standup wars against great MMA strikers and won them. He tooled GSP up on the feet, he tooled Joe Stevenson on the feet (who actually has a pro boxing record and has been boxing for over 10 years) and even in the small exchanges with Takanori Gomi he dominated the standup war.

I agree that "great" and "excellent" are thrown around way too loosely, that's why I said "Legendary" when I described Semmy Schilt, Jerome LeBanner, and Crocop

If you want to look at it that way you can call Crocop a horrible striker in certain regards. You can call Mark Hunt a horrible striker in regards.

I can live with people saying BJ is a great striker, I just don't think so myself. Don't get me wrong, it's not a weakness BY FAR. It's basically a pick your poison type of thing with him, do you want to get KO'd but still has a punchers chance yourself or get submitted. It's just BJ is a little better on the ground then on the feet. That's basically where I'm getting at. Some people say he's at an elite K-1 level and would take the K-1 lightweight title the first chance he got. I'd disagree, he would probably put up a solid effort but I don't think he'd win.

I guess I'm just waiting until he faces the winner Huerta/Florian to call him a great striker. I don't think he'll take either of them down and doubt either of them will do the same. We'll see a good stand up war since Florian's MT is sick and Huerta has so much heart, such a great chin, and packs so much power. After he beats them I'll switch over to the "great" side.

Fair enough. I don't really think that he needs a win over Huerta or Florian to say that, but if you do that's cool. I can respect that.

FYI- I never once thought BJ Penn could make a splash in K-1.
Pages: 1 [2]