Sherk calls BJ Penn a "Punk"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Sherk calls BJ Penn a "Punk"
Next Page »
jae_1833
12/12/07 12:20:53AM
Link

SS:" I think BJ Penn is a punk. Who the hell is he? He's won one fight in a couple of years now and it's just whatever man. He wants to make all of these rules and regulations, but who the hell is he? I'm the champ in my eyes so I don't care if he fights me or not, there's a whole bunch of guys that could fight me right now. It's his loss, not mine. He needs me more than I need him."

My opinion is that he will probably get to fight a whole bunch of guys, he just might not be fighting for or defending the belt. I think he definately got screwed, but that's just the way it goes sometimes.
BlessMahMic
12/12/07 12:37:05AM
BJ is a punk. He is a over achiever. People put on this pedestal because he defeated Hughes almost 4 years ago. The man has lost 3 out of his last 5 fights. Yes, he beat Gomi almost 5 years ago but Takanori would take him out today. And Hughes wrestling defeated Penn's Jiu Jitsu 4 years later. The has no right to say he won't fight Sherk. He is not Joe Silva and he is not Dana White. He fears Sherk's wrestling because Sean will take him out like Hughes did. Fin.

PS: I am not a Sean Sherk fan but I would love to see them fight. I actually dislike both these guys, but I respect and enjoy their ground game.

Vendetta
12/12/07 12:48:25AM

Posted by BlessMahMic

BJ is a punk. He is a over achiever. People put on this pedestal because he defeated Hughes almost 4 years ago. The man has lost 3 out of his last 5 fights. Yes, he beat Gomi almost 5 years ago but Takanori would take him out today. And Hughes wrestling defeated Penn's Jiu Jitsu 4 years later. The has no right to say he won't fight Sherk. He is not Joe Silva and he is not Dana White. He fears Sherk's wrestling because Sean will take him out like Hughes did. Fin.

PS: I am not a Sean Sherk fan but I would love to see them fight. I actually dislike both these guys, but I respect and enjoy their ground game.

Did you even watch Hughes vs Penn 2? Penn was absolutely wiping the floor with Hughes until the freak injury.
kevietre
12/12/07 12:49:30AM
BJ is a prodigy and hes's pretty cool to talk to. Sherk's comments will just add to the confrontation if BJ beats Stevenson and the matchup is made. Stevenson will be a good test for BJ. With BJ back at lightweight he will be more dangerous. BJ went the distance with GSP at welterweight and Sherk was stopped. Now that both are at 155 I think it should be a great fight. I think Sherk is dominating but really never tries to finish guys on the ground. He threw nasty elbows on Kenflo but never had any close submission attempts that I can recall. Got rocked by Franca's knee and never tried to finish and the fight with Diaz didn't really go anywhere. Granted these are three tough guys, but BJ goes in to finish everytime. Ask Lil Evil, Din Thomas, or Matt Hughes.
bullettdodger
12/12/07 12:49:54AM

Posted by BlessMahMic

Unless you fight in a cage Blessmahmic then all you've done with that post up there is scream "im a punk!", they both fight, so wins, losses, they all come and go, but serious game fighters are here to stay. Both have proven themselves in the octagon and to criticize them for losing 3/5 or for being defeated 4 years after a victory over the same opponent is ridiculous. BJ really does have no place to say he won't fight Sherk, but you need to see his point of view on the matter. Regardless he needs to stop looking past Joe Stevenson, forget about Sherk and focus on the task at hand, otherwise it'll be 4/6 and this conversation will have no point. All fighters are deserving of respect, and I stand by that even in criticizing them for things they do or the way they act. I still maintain my respect for them as people who put it all on the line for our entertainment.
wapttn
12/12/07 1:05:00AM
Penn is a punk eh? Lets compare sherk to hughes.. lets review how penn performed against hughes in his loss and win.. (keeping in mind that he tore a muscle, not gassed in his loss), seems to be a stretch of the imagination that sherk will do well against penn isnt it?
hotrodttt
12/12/07 1:17:38AM

Posted by BlessMahMic

I think Bj is a great fighter, Yes Matt Hughes did win their 2nd match but Bj was winning that fight until he cracked his rib, He is still a great fighter and only getting better with more expirience, just look at the people who he has beaten, Gomi, Hughes , Thomas, Serra, Uno, and the list will continue to come as Bj gets more fights
cmill21
12/12/07 1:47:11AM

Posted by BlessMahMic

I don't know to many overachivers who have obtained their black belt in 2 years, and won the BJJ world championships. He's a natural athlete, who has done everything with god given talent, and it would be hard for him to show any respect to someone who is now a known cheater. I have lost all they sympathy I had for Sherk, he's in no position to call anyone a "punk". Really sorry to all sherk fans and supporters but I don't think if you test positive for steroids you should be running around bad mouthing people.
jae_1833
12/12/07 2:02:10AM
Pick sides carefully, I think Sherk may have a point in this article about the machine showing four guys in a row positive for steriods...they call that caryover. I'm not saying he's guilty or innocent I am just saying that sometimes when you get screwed over you look better by just sucking it up, being a man and carrying on with your business. When Sherk called BJ a punk I think it was out of line, then again for BJ to claim that he won't fight Sherk is ridiculous.
HulkRage
12/12/07 2:06:45AM
It would be a good battle, but IMO BJ will be too much for Sherk. BJ with time could be the LW champ and if he wants he could be WW champ with a little more time, IMO he could take out Hughes(with out an injury) He messed GSP up in there fight, then lost a SD. That is way more than I can say for Sherk.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2
Svartorm
12/12/07 2:08:54AM

Posted by jae_1833

Pick sides carefully, I think Sherk may have a point in this article about the machine showing four guys in a row positive for steriods...they call that caryover. I'm not saying he's guilty or innocent I am just saying that sometimes when you get screwed over you look better by just sucking it up, being a man and carrying on with your business. When Sherk called BJ a punk I think it was out of line, then again for BJ to claim that he won't fight Sherk is ridiculous.

I'm with you on that, as I think he got screwed. The athletic commision doesn't want to admit mistakes or overturn previous rulings, as it sets them up for endless appeals down the road. No way to know now, but I wouldn't be quick to bust on Sherk.
wapttn
12/12/07 2:54:00AM
haha i love those pics ^^
they go hand in hand with the best quote of that fight

I dont remember word for word, but it was something along the lines of "after the fight, i went to party with my friends.. after the fight, he went to the hospital".

I personally feel he won that fight for a lot of reasons.. but this is one of the cases where by barely losing a split decision to one of the most impressive fighters in the world.. he certainly deserves some respect, even if it isnt from sherk
Khaos
12/12/07 5:14:46AM
I disagree about BJ Penn getting the shot, I am a fan of his, but beating Jens Pulver(who was coming of a loss) and getting a shot doesn't seem right, like when Sherk got the title shot(his first lightweight fight). I think he should have had to beat more opponents.

I do think Joe Stevenson deserves the shot, but I don't think it should be against Penn, it should be against someone like Kenny Florian.

(and) I,personally, am glad Sherk got stripped of the title.
madmarck
12/12/07 7:58:25AM

Posted by jae_1833

Link

SS:" I think BJ Penn is a punk. Who the hell is he? He's won one fight in a couple of years now and it's just whatever man. He wants to make all of these rules and regulations, but who the hell is he? I'm the champ in my eyes so I don't care if he fights me or not, there's a whole bunch of guys that could fight me right now. It's his loss, not mine. He needs me more than I need him."

My opinion is that he will probably get to fight a whole bunch of guys, he just might not be fighting for or defending the belt. I think he definately got screwed, but that's just the way it goes sometimes.

SO Penn is going around now trying to ruin other peoples careers by creating rules and regulations?
Im not 100% sure but i dont think Penn created any rules.
Boo_Radley21
12/12/07 9:29:04AM
Penn is making a bad decision, but he'll get away with it. If anyone else said "I won't fight so and so..." they would be accused of ducking someone, but since Sherk has this and BJ is so loved he'll get away with it. It really sucks but if BJ won't fight Sean that's his problem and it really is his loss. It's immature of him. He's already asking for 1 or 2 fights a year and now he's refusing to fight a guy who will be number one contender again IMO. He really is looking past Stevenson and I think it's gonna come back to get him, but we'll see what happens.
StevieC
12/12/07 9:55:34AM
I can't wait for this fight to happen, I just want to laugh at all the BJ nut huggers once he gets his ass rocked by Sherk....

BJ ins't the man anymore, get over it, he doesn't love you, why do you love him??

Sherk was on roids, Penn beat up a Cop, they are both messed up, so neither one can really say sh*t about the other...

LET'S GET IT ON!!!

after Stevenson.......if Penn wins.....
Ordep
12/12/07 10:39:06AM
rather be a punk than a cheater
tuvok500
12/12/07 10:57:23AM
Sherk is just very sad about everything happened to him, he was the UFC LW champ and he was having the respect of almost everybody and now he lost his belt, his reputation, some of his friend and fans, maybe some sponsor and he is just pissed off about it.

no big deal to call BJ a punk, i think that BJ will survive !!

They will have to fight for sure , unless Stevenson win the belt, and they will resolve there problem live in from of our eyes !!

Go BJ !!

silverbullet
12/12/07 11:02:56AM
I don't understand how some people can even fathom Sherk beating Penn!

Penn gave GSP a run for his money with a split decision, and he beat Hughes in 5 rounds out of 6, and would be 2-0 barring a freak rib injury. Penn lost a DECISION to Lyoto Machida fighting at 205 LBS!!!

Sherk was destroyed by GSP, and has a solid loss against Hughes... In his fight against Franca he showed weaker stand-up and weaker ground game while dominating the fight with superior wrestling and control.

How can anybody in their sound mind believe that Sherk has a chance in hell against Penn?

Can somebody explain this to me?
StevieC
12/12/07 11:27:28AM

Posted by silverbullet

I don't understand how some people can even fathom Sherk beating Penn!

Penn gave GSP a run for his money with a split decision, and he beat Hughes in 5 rounds out of 6, and would be 2-0 barring a freak rib injury. Penn lost a DECISION to Lyoto Machida fighting at 205 LBS!!!

Sherk was destroyed by GSP, and has a solid loss against Hughes... In his fight against Franca he showed weaker stand-up and weaker ground game while dominating the fight with superior wrestling and control.

How can anybody in their sound mind believe that Sherk has a chance in hell against Penn?

Can somebody explain this to me?

It would be tough to explain to someone who is so single minded...You could look at it on the flip side and say how in the world can Penn beat Sherk? Sheks only two loses came to the two best welterweights ever. O snap, Penn lost to them also....

Also, each fight is different, Sherks gameplan is a lot different than GSP, GSP stands more(a lot more) than Sherk, so chances of Sherks face looking like GSP's is slim to none(unless he gets caught by a knee).

I am not a total nut hugger to say Sherk is going to dominate but if BJ doesn't finish him in the first two rounds I don't see how BJ(and his stamina) will keep up with Sherk. I think for two rounds(maybe three) it will be a great fight. Otherwise round 4 and 5 will be total domination by Sherk.....

Sherk has twice as many fights as Penn with less losses. So your theroy of a Penn domination is totally ridiculas. Although him staying with Machida was sweet. I know he is no Machida but Sherk finished Karo twice, he isn't exactly easy to finish either......

Would be a great fight, but to say either would dominate is idiotic....
Kugel
12/12/07 11:49:38AM

Posted by BlessMahMic

Being an over achiever is a good thing...that means you over achieve what is expected of you. BJ Penn would demolish Sherk, all Sherk can do is wrestle and hold guys down.
supatolacyl
12/12/07 1:34:54PM
IMO Sherk is hoping that Penn's pride will get the best of him by calling him a punk. I think he is just trying to bait him into a fight if he surpasses Stevenson for the lw belt which will be no easy task. I can understand Penn's side of saying he doesn't want to fight Sherk if he cheated. Fighters train hard and if they stay clean and put the work in doing two a days or three a days it sure would hit a nerve to find out the lead in the division was using something else to get an edge. Now I'm not saying Sherk used anything or not, I don't work at no lab so I don't have the right to make a reasonable oppinion on it. I'm just saying if he did it would be understandable for a fighter to fill the way Penn does.
Trench777
12/12/07 1:35:06PM
I find the whole subject moot at any rate...as I think Joe Daddy is gonna wipe the mat with BJ "I Was Once A Teen Idol" Penn.

So there

T777
candynuts
12/12/07 1:42:20PM

Being an over achiever is a good thing...that means you over achieve what is expected of you. BJ Penn would demolish Sherk, all Sherk can do is wrestle and hold guys down.

Never underestimate the power of Sherks Lay N Pray!
Sherks LnP > BJ's Bjj

atlas777
12/12/07 1:55:28PM
Sherk may have been dominated by GSP there is no doubt in anyones mind on that but GSP is a huge WW and Sherk is a very small man this played a huge part in there fight im not trying to make any exccuses for why sherk lost but thats just genetics, BJ won 2 rounds against Matt Hughes before getting beat doesnt matter what happened and i dont care that he was hurt fighters get hurt if your too hurt to perform well then do go back out Randy Couture broke his arm in the second round against Gonzaga he didnt lose in fact he wrecked Gonzaga used his arm to take him down and GnP a stoppage As far as Sherk and Matt hughes' fight Sherk won 2 rounds also sherk has only been beat 2 times by the best 2 WW in the world who has BJ beat recently Jens Pulver a guy who got beat in the first round by a UFC newcomer IMO that does not deserve a title shot, Sherk was a great champion i think the CSAC messed up the guy is just a physical freak and his ground game is great BJ cant say he wont fight Sherk otherwise it will be like when Tito said he wouldnt fight Chuck becuase he wanted more money the UFC and Dana white doesnt let someone just not fight a number 1 contender we have seen it before he will give someone else an interm title shot if BJ refuses and he will gang press BJ into fighting sherk to prove who the real champion is.
roadking95th
12/12/07 2:31:49PM
I hope Penn is never falsely accused of doping. According to him, once the athletic commissions make their initial decision, it's over. I am not saying Sherk did or didn't, but their are a lot of questions that the CSAC didn't answer. If they were so confident that Sherk was guilty, than why the reduced sentence? One can not argue that they wanted it to go away or were tired of Sherk's appeals because they DON"T have to grant an appeal.

To say that Sherk LnP's is ridiculous. He had many, many transitions during the Franca fight. If he LnP's than I guess Nate Diaz does too. He is just laying there hoping to finally sink a sub. Of course that statement is ridiculous.

I hope this fight happens. It would be a great fight to see. Come on BJ, prove who is the better man.
silverbullet
12/12/07 2:36:14PM

Posted by roadking95th

To say that Sherk LnP's is ridiculous. He had many, many transitions during the Franca fight.

I think it's awesome that Sherk doesn't just lay and pray in one position. He is able to transition smoothly between side-control LnP, half-guard LnP, and full guard LnP.
roadking95th
12/12/07 4:15:48PM

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by roadking95th

To say that Sherk LnP's is ridiculous. He had many, many transitions during the Franca fight.

I think it's awesome that Sherk doesn't just lay and pray in one position. He is able to transition smoothly between side-control LnP, half-guard LnP, and full guard LnP.

Well, I am glad you are able to look at it with a critical mind.
bayonetxwork
12/12/07 4:32:50PM

Posted by BlessMahMic

LOL. did you watch any of his recent fights, or just check sherdogs record books real quick?
loonytnt
12/12/07 4:36:44PM
i think sherk will be to much for penn, idk but BJ is talkin a lot and says he will not fight him? scared idk
Pages: [1] 2